PDA

View Full Version : Trim ram no longer fully extends

Knot 4 Me
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Had a weird problem pop up last Wednesday morning on the way to the Shootout. Last Monday, I pulled the boat off the lift and put it on the trailer. Trailered the drive and put the trailering clips on and headed home. I always lower the drive whenever the boat is not in transit so after backing it into my driveway I took the clips off and lowered the drive down. Wednesday morning I'm preping the boat to travel to LOTO and I trailer the drive and go to install the trailering clips and I cannot get the clip on the starboard ram. Port clip goes on no problem. WTF. Mess around with it for a bit and notice that at the last inch or so of upward travel the starboard trim ram stops extending. The port ram then cocks the whole works over as it contines to extend normally. Anyone ever ran into this problem before? Trim pump is full of fluid and there are no signs of leaking around the ram or the lines. If the ram is bad, do you rebuild them or replace them? Thanks in advance.

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Had a weird problem pop up last Wednesday morning on the way to the Shootout. Last Monday, I pulled the boat off the lift and put it on the trailer. Trailered the drive and put the trailering clips on and headed home. I always lower the drive whenever the boat is not in transit so after backing it into my driveway I took the clips off and lowered the drive down. Wednesday morning I'm preping the boat to travel to LOTO and I trailer the drive and go to install the trailering clips and I cannot get the clip on the starboard ram. Port clip goes on no problem. WTF. Mess around with it for a bit and notice that at the last inch or so of upward travel the starboard trim ram stops extending. The port ram then cocks the whole works over as it contines to extend normally. Anyone ever ran into this problem before? Trim pump is full of fluid and there are no signs of leaking around the ram or the lines. If the ram is bad, do you rebuild them or replace them? Thanks in advance.

REBUILD THEM !!! Easy to do , also the o rings u can buy at local hydraulic shop for cheap.
More likeley it sounds like an o ring let go and is bypassing fluid inside.

Knot 4 Me
08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks. That is what I was hoping to hear. I'll see if I can find a recommended shop close by to rebuild the ram.

old377guy
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM

the old "ram not extending all the way problem" eh? ........

Knot 4 Me
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
the old "ram not extending all the way problem" eh? ........I rubbed some Extenze on it but to no avail... :sifone:

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I rubbed some Extenze on it but to no avail... :sifone:

There have to be some adult bars in your erea that can help u with that ram...LOL

Anyhow,,did u find a shop for the boat ram ???:)

Knot 4 Me
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes, I found a local machine/welding shop that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders and they said no problem on fixing an outdrive ram. Thanks for the help!