PDA

View Full Version : Victory on the pole for Romainia

shifter
08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
28/08/2009
FAZZA FASTEST – MOHAMMED AL MARRI RETURNS TO RACING
Friday, 28 August, CONSTANTA (Romania): Double World Champion, Mohammed Al Marri , makes a welcome return to Class 1 to form a new partnership in Victory 77, with 2008 World Championship runner-up Abdullah Al Mehairbi, after the Dubai based Team confirmed they will run a three boat line-up for the remainder of the season. Al Marri, who built his reputation as a driver, finds himself in the unfamiliar throttleman seat. "It is very different from driving," said Al Marri about his new throttleman role, "I have spent a lot of time driving and I find being the throttleman harder. This is a tight course with many tight corners so it will be a hard test for me."

The first timed practice session of the weekend saw Fazza making a clear statement that they aim to reclaim their place at the top of the World Championship table. The pairing of Arif Al Zafeen and Nadir Bin Hendi did not disappoint setting a time eight seconds quicker than their closest rivals with a fastest lap of 2mins 40.73secs. Welmax had an eventful session, setting a fast first lap of 2mins 48.73secs, before spinning out and damaging the raceboat on their second timed run. Jorn Tandberg and Kolbjorn Selmer completed another lap but they were unable to improve on their previous time, leaving a night of work for the mechanics to try and decipher exactly what damage the spin-out caused.

Championship leaders, Mohammad Al Mehairi and Jean-Marc Sanchez, Victory 1, put in 11 practice laps with a fastest time of 2mins 48.90secs to go third quickest in the session. Breathing down their necks were Maritimo Australia, with Peter McGrath and Giorgio Manuzzi, Maritimo 12, posting 2mins 49.04secs, just ahead of team-mates Tom Barry-Cotter and Pal Virik Nilsen in Maritimo 11, who had a best lap of 2mins 49.87secs.

Nicola Giorgi and new driver, Kurt Olsen, in Giorgioffshore showed plenty of potential with a best lap time of 2mins 53.67secs, which was under a second faster than Foresti & Suardi – Roscioli Hotels, with Giampaolo Montavoci and Giampiero Soave posting their best time of 2mins 54.56secs.

Victory 77’s new pairing of Al Marri and Al Mehairbi finished the session with a best time of 2mins 59.82secs.

And the show goes on without Qatar.....

pat W