PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 29' & 36'

Pops57
08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
For all you old school Mirage lovers.

Here is an old school video I had up in the attic of a 29' Mirage my father built. This one had 370 cyclones in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On0kZSg0PYM

and This video is of two 36' Mirage the old man built. One had quad 200 mercs and the other had quad 2.4 Racing mercs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz03Snyu9i8&feature=related

Jose Cortes
Mirage Boat Corporation
Miami, FL

Bobcat
08-27-2009, 01:50 PM
thanks for posting those, I like the clean look of the Dolphin's color scheme boat.

Pops57
08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
thanks for posting those, I like the clean look of the Dolphin's color scheme boat.

No problem, I personally like that clean look too.

hammerhead
08-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Hello Jose there was a 36 mirage at Estebans on 22 ave nw 14 st for many years was red white and blue mirage name on sides with arrows pointing foward. The boat disappeared and pops up in Hialeah on lejune rd and 19st side of a house with no motors tried to inquire at door no help then it was gone. Did you ever see it?

thedonz
08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Hello Jose there was a 36 mirage at Estebans on 22 ave nw 14 st for many years was red white and blue mirage name on sides with arrows pointing foward. The boat disappeared and pops up in Hialeah on lejune rd and 19st side of a house with no motors tried to inquire at door no help then it was gone. Did you ever see it?

I saw that one as well in Hia...it was there for like a mth and then disappered.....my dad's throttleman knows the owner, i might be able to get you 411 on it

jr

Ratickle
08-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Nice Vids. Got more???????:drool5:

Pops57
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM

Yea i saw that one. It did have motors. If im not mistaken it had twin 454 the guy had just taken the drives off for fear of being stolen.

Funny story is that I passed by one day and saw it, went home and told my dad about it. So we went the next day knocked on the door and out comes this man. We tell him we were interested in the boat and that we would like to take a look at it. He leads us towards the back and starts talkin about the boat. Once we got to the back my dad was able to take a look at the serial number and he immediately remembered when he built it, who he sold it too, and so on. The man jumped in and no lie with just the turn of the key he started both engines no problem. The funny part is when he starts giving us the history of the boat and the company. He was telling my father and I that it was a knock off a Cigarette. (I was like NO!) He then tells us it was built with kevlar and this and that, we were like no it wasn't. He then was confirming that it was and that he knew the man that built them. That he knew he had the factory in opa locka and so on. All the while the man who built them is standing right infront of him. LOL I guess he just knew about the man who built them and not really who he was. LOL

Just wanted to share that. I just found it soooo funny and definately had a good laugh about it the whole ride home.

Pops

hammerhead
08-29-2009, 10:49 AM
How much was he asking for the boat? was it an 1986, the boat could easily have been restored hope someone saves her she belongs in Miami on the water.You do not see them around anymore so this was a rare sighting,to think they used to be seen all the time back in the day (SUNDAYS ON THE BAY) SHOW AND TELL OF BOATING HANGOUTS!

OneBadInjun
08-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Yea i saw that one. It did have motors. If im not mistaken it had twin 454 the guy had just taken the drives off for fear of being stolen.

Funny story is that I passed by one day and saw it, went home and told my dad about it. So we went the next day knocked on the door and out comes this man. We tell him we were interested in the boat and that we would like to take a look at it. He leads us towards the back and starts talkin about the boat. Once we got to the back my dad was able to take a look at the serial number and he immediately remembered when he built it, who he sold it too, and so on. The man jumped in and no lie with just the turn of the key he started both engines no problem. The funny part is when he starts giving us the history of the boat and the company. He was telling my father and I that it was a knock off a Cigarette. (I was like NO!) He then tells us it was built with kevlar and this and that, we were like no it wasn't. He then was confirming that it was and that he knew the man that built them. That he knew he had the factory in opa locka and so on. All the while the man who built them is standing right infront of him. LOL I guess he just knew about the man who built them and not really who he was. LOL

Just wanted to share that. I just found it soooo funny and definately had a good laugh about it the whole ride home.

PopsIt was common in the 70's to use the Magnum 27 hull by other builders, making it shorter or longer, etc. Ask your dad if he used the Magnum or what other hull he started with? Thanks

h2oMag
08-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I love my mostly stock 29' 1979 Mirage with 330hp & Trs drives, she still runs 65mph..:sifone:

h2oMag
08-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Here some more Mirage history from my box of stuff !!!! Even NASCAR Jack Roush was part of Mirage racing history !!!!:26:

Pops57
08-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the great pics and info h20. They definately are a rare sight down here in Miami. My father and I would love to see one in the water maybe even take it out for a spin.

I have hundreds of pics and brochure hanging around but haven't had the time to upload them. I got to sort through them and find a few to put up.

The 36' from the story was not for sale. The man told me he had been offered money for it more than often and that he was close to sellng it once but didn't. He wanted to keep it for himself.

As far as Onebadinjun comment. My father never copied anyones boat. He is a master carpenter and plug maker, learned the skill since he was a young man in cuba. He moved to Miami and worked for many years as Don Aronow right hand man. He built the plug and mold of the hull and deck for many Cigarette boats when Don was starting it. He left in order to build his own design which he had been drawing up and did it the good old fashion way, busting his a** working countless hours to build his own molds from scratch. It was a popular thing to copy peoples boat back then and it still goes on today, we did after all fall victim to it. but you have my word that my father never copied anyones design.

It has been a life long dream of mine to be able to reopen and come out with a boat that has the same quality and craftsmanship as our old Mirages. When that day comes I will love the chance to add to the little bit of history my father has earned in offshore boating. Maybe come out with a modern version of Lil Rhino, Wolverine, Armed and Dangerous...... so on! Until then my father and I appreciate sites like these that every once in a while show us that what my old man had and built has not been forgotten.

Thanks,

Jose Cortes

hammerhead
08-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Any history on that 36 from hialeah was it a boat show boat when new? i should have camped out with some green waiting to buy it, oh well was nt ment to be.

Pops57
08-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Any history on that 36 from hialeah was it a boat show boat when new? i should have camped out with some green waiting to buy it, oh well was nt ment to be.

Im not to sure about the boat when new, didn't ask my father so I don't have much info on it. According to the guy, it was either a drug runner or it was used to bring refugees. Not sure. I don't know where it went. I remember he told us he had the drives at his sisters house so there might be a chance that the boat is over there.

BTW: I've heard someone say there is a 32' Mirage for sale in the Carolinas. It is believed to be the 32' named "Armed and Dangerous"

Pops

Pops57
09-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Check out this other video I uploaded recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImRQfQ7ASV0

Pops

stormrider
09-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Man, those are such good looking boats!
No plans to bring them back?? ;)

Pops57
09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Man, those are such good looking boats!
No plans to bring them back?? ;)

Its my dream/goal in life to bring them back. The Economy plus $$$$$ doesn't look to good for me at the moment.... but I would definately love to see them out in the water, specially with all the new technology and advances in engines today. I could only imagine what they would do out there in the water today.

Oneday...... in the future! Hopefully!!

Pops :sifone:

hammerhead
09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Pops, was there a group that built some mirages across from twin marine upholstry in hialeah must have been over four years ago or perhaps they restored one?

Pops57
09-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey Pops, was there a group that built some mirages across from twin marine upholstry in hialeah must have been over four years ago or perhaps they restored one?

There have been a few to try and use the name. I know of one (might be the same group your talkin about) that claims that one of the original founding members of Mirage was building them again. My father was the only owner and founding member of these Mirage that im talkin about. There has not been a real Mirage since my dad closed shop. He has yet to reopen so anything out there claiming to be a Cortes Mirage is not the same! :sifone:

hammerhead
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Why not build a 36 center console with cuddy and triple 300 verados using the old hull plans, betcha labor and warehouse space is cheap in this economy.Have it ready for miami boat show.

Pops57
09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Why not build a 36 center console with cuddy and triple 300 verados using the old hull plans, betcha labor and warehouse space is cheap in this economy.Have it ready for miami boat show.

Thats what I have in mind and currently working on! .......$$$$$$$$

SHARKEY-IMAGES
09-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I raced this one in Pt Pleasant Beach:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p280766008.jpg