PDA

View Full Version : This sure is different???

cosmic12
08-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I am always looking for a small river rocket and came across this.
I knew Carlson built some odd boats but I have never seen or heard of one of these. Anybody know anything?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320414203465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Davidmnc
08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
That thing looks like a lot of fun!

cosmic12
08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Pic.

Bobcat
08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
that's pretty cool, but a lot of coin.

glassdave
08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
pretty cool, love the trim indicator. :cool:

Looks like a very well kept time capsule, appears to be in great shape to.

thedonz
08-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I am always looking for a small river rocket and came across this.
I knew Carlson built some odd boats but I have never seen or heard of one of these. Anybody know anything?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320414203465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

instead of buying that buy an action 18 or a stv

jr

olredalert
08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
------Call me a skeptic but why does the engine say its a 100 while the owner says its a 135??? Very cool boat, none the less......Mr.Bill

Davidmnc
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM
------Call me a skeptic but why does the engine say its a 100 while the owner says its a 135??? Very cool boat, none the less......Mr.Bill

It's a stealth 135!

DAREDEVIL
08-28-2009, 10:23 AM

Its an old 1000 SS which is a race version and has 135 HP. I bet that thing is fast.

cosmic12
08-28-2009, 10:25 AM
pretty cool, love the trim indicator. :cool:

Looks like a very well kept time capsule, appears to be in great shape to.

Thats kinda what I thought, wouldn't it be cool to have an late 60s or 70 Hemi Cuda or something like that and show up at shows hauling that?

Ratickle
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Here is some info.

T2x should know something. The Switzer Wing was a competitor I believe of the designs coming from Glastron-Carlsons racing division in those days.

http://www.classicglastron.com/glastron-racing-index.html

Ratickle
08-28-2009, 10:29 AM

Ratickle
08-28-2009, 10:31 AM
They are discussing it's value on Scream and Fly......

They think it's worth a lot.....

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194466

cosmic12
08-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks Paul, thats what I was look'n for.
An old Hammond would be a nice one to find also if there are any left that arn't rotted into the ground. Great info.

OneBadInjun
08-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Its an old 1000 SS which is a race version and has 135 HP. I bet that thing is fast.The 1000SS was NOT a race engine. The Merc 1000SS was 100 horsepower. The Merc 1000SS was just the name Merc gave the 100's, that year, which was 1966. This engine is not a 100 horsepower engine, read the ad about the horsepower sticker change on the lower cowl. The engine is a 1970 model 1350, which is 135 horsepower red-stripe motor, as it came from Merc, which also is NOT a race engine.

T2x
08-31-2009, 08:22 AM
\\OH Boy...!

The hull is one of Carlson's actual tunnels and was made specifically for racing in the late 60's. It was never a top of the heap performer , but it was nice to look at. The nonsensical "J Class Formula 1" designation is just that....nonsense. There was a "Sport J" class in OPC at that time and the stock 135 was the proper engine for that boat in that class. Many inline 6's have been "refurbished" with different parts and cowls so you really can't tell what that motor is without closer inspection. The price seems about right given the rarity of the hull and the condition. While they were not the fastest things out there Carlson's boats were very pretty.

George Linder had an earlier twin engine (non full tunnel) version before he got smart and started racing big V Eltros prior to his designing days.

T2x

DAREDEVIL
08-31-2009, 09:52 AM
The 1000SS was NOT a race engine. The Merc 1000SS was 100 horsepower. The Merc 1000SS was just the name Merc gave the 100's, that year, which was 1966. This engine is not a 100 horsepower engine, read the ad about the horsepower sticker change on the lower cowl. The engine is a 1970 model 1350, which is 135 horsepower red-stripe motor, as it came from Merc, which also is NOT a race engine.

I got wrong info then ,,sorry. I kill him :ack2:
I also toght all race engines had the exhaust on top of the prop ?
But my buddy said no not the early ones.
Guess i was right .:leaving:

T2x
08-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Here is some info.

T2x should know something. The Switzer Wing was a competitor I believe of the designs coming from Glastron-Carlsons racing division in those days.

http://www.classicglastron.com/glastron-racing-index.html

I actually raced in some Glastrons back in the 60's. I ran a 16 foot twin OB vee bottom that was specially built for me by the Glastron factory for racing. Later I raced a single engine 18' Glastron/Molinari with a Merc 1250 BP "Stacker" engine...... I also test drove a dual 1250 BP 21 Foot Glastron/Molinari a few times.

As Bruce Springsteen put it so well........ "Glory Days".

T2x

Ratickle
08-31-2009, 12:12 PM
The history on the Molinari deal with the boats and Seebold and "favorites" was quite the read when I saw it. Were you privy to any of that stuff?

T2x
08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
The history on the Molinari deal with the boats and Seebold and "favorites" was quite the read when I saw it. Were you privy to any of that stuff?

Are you talking about the Molinari deal with Mercury and the subsequent transition to Seebold hulls in the states and Van der Velden hulls in Europe? The deal where Molinari went to OMC to replace his cousin, Cesar Scotti's hulls, and Cees decided to go the other way from OMC to Mercury simultaneously?

No, I don't know anything about it...... :D :p

Ratickle
08-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Are you talking about the Molinari deal with Mercury and the subsequent transition to Seebold hulls in the states and Van der Velden hulls in Europe? The deal where Molinari went to OMC to replace his cousin, Cesar Scotti's hulls, and Cees decided to go the other way from OMC to Mercury simultaneously?

No, I don't know anything about it...... :D :p

There was that one, and then the one where Molinari would build like 6 boats, test them all to dial them in for the factory, then keep the best for himself so he never got beat:). Or something like that.

It's been awhile, I'll see what I can find.

T2x
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
There was that one, and then the one where Molinari would build like 6 boats, test them all to dial them in for the factory, then keep the best for himself so he never got beat:). Or something like that.

It's been awhile, I'll see what I can find.

Molinari always kept the best hulls for himself....But...he generally left them in the US when he raced over here...and they were subsequently given to other drivers. The hulls he had in Lake Como were kept by Renato.....until he built a better one. There is no doubt that he had a treasure trove of great boats back home.

All builders tended to keep the best hulls in close control or with designated drivers. If you drove for Mercury you had to wait your "turn". You would start with an older/bigger/marathon Molinari and work up to a newer/lighter "sprint" hull. The exceptions were the factory team drivers who got the newest hulls and developmental race engines. The original Factory team was Billy Seebold, Bobby Hering, Renato Molinari, and Reggie. The "A" team was quickly increased to include a marvelously talented young gun named Earl Bentz.... (later president of Stratos Boats). You also had a bunch of guys with "factory" backing and/or members of the European and Canadian "teams"...including yours truly. To be honest, the very best stuff stayed with the "A" team...but the rest of us did okay and assured Mercury of professional and competent representation at all the major and regional races world wide. This was during the Mercury-OMC wars and each company sought the best drivers. The talent pool at that time was probably over 40 drivers worldwide affiliated with one company or the other. Obviously with this kind of demand and stressful utilization on tunnel hulls made of 1/4" plywood and weighing 250 lbs or so, it was difficult to give everybody a top hull. In my day the top hulls were the Molinari's and later on the Seebolds for Mercury, and Scotti's and Veldens for OMC. The second tier guys got British Cougars and Milesmasters or knock offs made in North America like Caldwells, Bowerman's, Scorpions and Marathons. You also saw 3 and 4 year old factory boats patched up and running for as long as they could hold together.

T2x

JnT
08-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Earl Bentz is with Triton Boats now.