PDA

View Full Version : Experience with old school mechancial injection in offshore boats

Dude! Sweet!
08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
So I was recently gifted an indefinate loan of a complete Crower mechanical fuel injection system and I've decided to run it on my '86 Pantera 28 race boat.

I'd like to get some feedback from the guys who ran them and wrenched on them back in the days when these systems were popular. Any feedback is greatly appreciated (antecdotal, technical, photos, set up suggestions, confirmation that I'm an idot, etc). Thanks!

(I attached a couple of photos, on loan from various sources, for reference.)

:26::26:

cigdaze
08-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Cool.

Is that USCG legal anymore? :confused:

Dude! Sweet!
08-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Cool.

Is that USCG legal anymore? :confused:

Who? :sifone:

cigdaze
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
;)

Buoy
08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Friggin Cool!!!

Dude! Sweet!
08-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Friggin Cool!!!

Thank you Johnny! :sifone:

(Bouy's met my buddy John before, but as an FYI, I'm getting the injectors from a good bud of mine that used to run and wrench on a nostalgia fuel dragster, altered, funnycar and nostalgia gasser).

Top Banana
08-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Both photos are Kiekhaefer engines.

The blue bilge is the Dry Martini 35 Cigarette .......and the other photo is the Michelob Light 38 Larry Smith Scarab.

THE GUY....to answer all your questions on these engines would be Richie Powers.

glassdave
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
pretty cool stuff! I always though it looked bad azz. But theres a reason we dont use it anymore. If you really had to use it you could have it converted to electronic.

http://commerce.idmi.net/ecommerce/catalog.asp?CID=165&CI=2817

I'm sure Dynatek could do a one off for it.

Dude! Sweet!
08-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Both photos are Kiekhaefer engines.

The blue bilge is the Dry Martini 35 Cigarette .......and the other photo is the Michelob Light 38 Larry Smith Scarab.

THE GUY....to answer all your questions on these engines would be Richie Powers.

Thanks Charlie! I'm sure that both of those pictures came out of your archieves. They sure do look sweet. I figure the boat's probably not going to run for crap since I'm going to hold off on blueprinting the bottom for now, so I figure we might as well make the old girl look sexy...

FastDonzi
08-26-2009, 08:19 AM
It's really pretty simple stuff, "Timing" Is everything, You need to time the shot just like timing your spark. 7Xchamp would know as well as Tommy (Gail Paiks Hubby)

h2oMag
08-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Just went for a ride in Rob K [ironhead on that other site] Apache cat. This cat has the Crower injection & big block Chevy's. Katech here in the Detroit area just did the engines, if anyone knows injection it's them. The boat is now easy to run & dock. These engines are mild by todays standards at 800hp but this is a family pleasure boat, and one big heavy Apache cat. Rob has a great collection of offshore stuff, he just finished the Anaconda Magnum, give him a pm,, and I'm sure he can fill you in on any info.

Dude! Sweet!
08-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. If anyone has interest in posting stories/eperiences or advice, feel free!

Edward R. Cozzi
01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Didn't Kinsler have something to do with that set-up?

tomcei
01-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Sean,
if you follow thru with it , it will look nasty 4 sure.
Always liked that funky system., reminds me of the Munster mobile

Chris
01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Kinsler is the master at these injections.

The originals are batch injection. A mechanical pump feeding an orifice that controls return to the tank- called a pill. The rest goes to the stacks. Full flow all the time. The more advanced were timed mechanical- less crude but not much. Definitely worked better for opening and closing the throttle. Some have been converted to EFI.

Dude! Sweet!
01-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Yah, we've got a nasty ass old school Crower set up sitting about 3 feet away from my long block that's just waiting for a delivery from Manton (tomorrow, one day turn around, go Manton!).

My buddy John and his old man have years running mechanically injected A/Fuel cars. First foray into the boat deal, but should look cool and catch people's attention anyhow... Especially when we start the boat using a squirt bottle full of gas. :sifone: