PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Prop Sets?

cougarman
08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Question for the Masses,.............Forget the dollars.

If you could have two complete sets of Props, one for ultimate speed
and the other set for trips etc. ( Basically and over drive set )

Is there enough noticable difference or just have one set to do it all?

Informative answers encouraged :sifone:

Thanks
Jon

Ratickle
08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
In a very fast/tweaked boat that has everything else done to it, I believe there is a minimum of 5% between an acceleration prop and a top speed prop. I also believe there is another 5% between the acceleration prop and a "cruise" prop. I'm talking in a large, Deep Vee.

In a cat, I have no experience.

MarylandMark
08-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Without a doubt the cheapest performance upgrade you can do!!!!

Spring- larger pitch prop since cooler water and cooler air temps

Summer- smaller pitch due to hot and humid and most likely more people on the boat, longer trips (more full weight), overnight bags, etc

Fall- larger pitch again

and I just run a fish boat...

t500hps
08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Not only for the reason mentioned, but what if you damage a prop badly.......at least you would have another set to go back out boating (I'm down to 3 sets at the moment)

cougarman
08-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys keep the answers coming :)

Jon

DAREDEVIL
08-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I have 3 props for my single and only use just 1 ( the fast one ),
i guess if i only had that 1 it would be wrecked by now .LOL:sifone:

PlumCrazy
08-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I always have one stock set and one labbed set of props with the same pitch. It's partly for backup and partly for boating conditions. If the water is low or I know I'm taking out people that don't want to go fast, I will run the stock props. If the temp is high, I keep the RPM's where I want them with the labbed props. They're only good for an extra 1 MPH, but every little bit helps.

bbladesprops
08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm constantly encouraging folks to invest in a second set of props. I get condemned some times since I'm the prop sales guy. However, the arguments are valid for a second set. The best ones are already mentioned here.

Weather, air temp., humidity, fuel and gear load, water conditions, etc. affect the performance of your boat throughout the entire rpm range. Light loads in the Spring and Fall allowing smaller pitches and faster speeds. Typically a 2" adjustment can be made.

Most importantly, when damage is done to a prop due to impact or blade failures, you have a back up set. This becomes most important when we receive a call on a Monday morning and the customer needs them for the up coming weekend. In the heat of the summer rush, when our lead times run up to 2 weeks or possibly more, the second set keeps you on the water.

Determining the second set of props to purchase is a great reason to give us a call. We can discuss current performance and goals per your boating style to help suggest the best fit.

Brett

VetteLT193
08-26-2009, 01:58 PM
My Donzi 28 ZXO has major personality changes with props. I've only tested 3 sets but it is a major difference in cruising and top end. more along the lines of 10%, 64 to 70 on top. I think if I had more time testing I'd see 65 on the cruising props, 72 on the top end props.

PARADOX
09-20-2009, 02:58 PM
With props, it's totaly trial and error. I think I tested and tried 6 -7 different sets.
From Bravos to Hydros, to Herrings. Once you find the best.! then have it labbed by Brett. and keep a spare for use in areas that yuo may not be familiar with or where conditions warrant to use the "back up" props.
I'm stuck with 4 sets. (I thing I just sold two, and I will still be experimenting.

The down fall of "need for speed" attitude.
Brett !! You have a set of 30's with a bow lift labbing? Will be talking soon.

:)

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-20-2009, 06:45 PM
I think having a short set is a good idea. Especially if you load the boat with friends and go play. In that case you don't need top end. Killer acceleration is more fun.

cougarman
09-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks guy's input is always great !

Jon