PDA

View Full Version : SOS Look and Feel

LaughingCat
11-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I understand everyone is here for free right now. I'm curious why the site starts out looking basic compared to OSO. I say this becasue so many sites seem to have developed their warmth, lookand feel. Could a more advanced interface be used frm the start or is it only developed over time?

I am all for paid memberships to produce the enhancements. just wondering if all sites must start in basic form and evolve.

phragle
11-06-2008, 12:23 AM
we are open to ideas, it is a work in progress. it has become what it is thru the hard work of a few and the ideas of many.

Ted
11-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Understand that this board is in it's infancy. The software is sort of like a bunch of modules that lay in with each other. As we move forward we have plans for more content and a magazine like interface along with the forums. We got this running in short order which may or not be the right thing to do, but we wanted to get the interest up, make a splash at KW, and then spend the ongoing time making constant improvements and advancements. Stay tuned, it should be cool.

stecz20
11-06-2008, 12:26 AM
sometimes less is more..

phragle
11-06-2008, 12:42 AM
not the case with rum.....

MarineClean
11-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Feels like warm apple pie to me! :biggrinjester:

stecz20
11-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Feels like warm apple pie to me! :biggrinjester:

dirty boy.....:dupe::dupe:

WANTED GUN
11-06-2008, 01:15 AM
The site runs way faster than OSO, and it's nice to have mods so involved. Thanks Rob

Ratickle
11-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Understand that this board is in it's infancy.
Stay tuned, it should be cool.

Exactly, we plan on continued listening, and continually improving. A lot of us havn't even met, we did this to make a site to help everyone who loves this sport, not to make money. We will listen, but also will have fun. We are meeting in Key West this week. I'm leaving in about 30 minutes.

Airpacker
11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
not the case with rum.....
More rum = I get DUM :)

cigdaze
11-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Indeed, this endeavor is in it's infancy, however with that aside, it's also advantageous to be back to basics. We have speed and fluidity, there's a lot to be said for that. One of the more conscientious goals we were striving for was to de-clutter things a little bit.

As always, suggestions are always welcome.

gerritm
11-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I like it. It is quick and to the point. Love the fact that you can click on a thread and you actually go to it before you fall asleep.

DonMan
11-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Who needs all the fancy graphics and such ? I like it just fine right now. Besides, bright colors and flashing graphics kinda freak me out when I`m on an acid trip . . .

pullmytrigger
11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Who needs all the fancy graphics and such ? I like it just fine right now. . . .

agreed....its the people and the content of the threads that will make it or break it for me.

JupiterSunsation
11-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Any reason the when you click on the posted pics that they won't enlarge? A small screen black box opens and it attempts to load the image but nothing actually happens.

Great site, could care less about the graphics/ flashy stuff. :sifone:

yesrej
11-06-2008, 11:22 AM
i like it the way it is. simple yet effective.

Ted
11-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Any reason the when you click on the posted pics that they won't enlarge? A small screen black box opens and it attempts to load the image but nothing actually happens.

You may need to update your version of shockwave or java to get that program to work, I will post in our Forum Issues section and see if we can get an answer from the tech guys as to which program you may need.

stecz20
11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
You may need to update your version of shockwave or java to get that program to work, I will post in our Forum Issues section and see if we can get an answer from the tech guys as to which program you may need.

it does the same for me sometimes.. some pics you can click and open the bloack box, other you cant...

fund razor
11-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Who needs all the fancy graphics and such ? I like it just fine right now. Besides, bright colors and flashing graphics kinda freak me out when I`m on an acid trip . . .

Agreed. I love it. Form follows function, and an emphasis on content rather than appearance. ;)
But I like that too!

Fever Mike
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
sometimes less is more..

EXACTLY! I think the board looks and feels great. This site runs fast and the post's are easy to read. That is all that is needed in my opinion.

The best improvment will be getting more people posting and getting involved with this site. The people...that is what makes a great site.

I think Stez has some he says about people?!?!?!:)

Love Machine
11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
sometimes less is more..

Well said. Case in point is MarineClean's avatar.:drool5:

LaughingCat
11-07-2008, 12:21 AM
All sounds good. The purpose is communication, not showmanship. We save that for the boats.

I'm hoping this site becomes what OSO once was. Thanks for all the comments.

One thing I wonder, what attributes of OSO were beneficial that did not impede speed? Such as the classified sections, etc.

TEAMBAJA
11-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm hoping this site becomes what OSO once was.

I predict this site will be much bigger than OSO ever was. Not knocking the "old OSO" at all, but the way SOS was put together getting everyone involved is the formula for success!:cheers2:

(We could use some more "drinking" related smilies though!) :D

Wrinkleface
11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Well said. Case in point is MarineClean's avatar.:drool5:

PERV, luv it!!!!:26:

yesrej
11-07-2008, 11:50 AM
I predict this site will be much bigger than OSO ever was. Not knocking the "old OSO" at all, but the way SOS was put together getting everyone involved is the formula for success!:cheers2:

(We could use some more "drinking" related smilies though!) :D

we do alot of drinking. good idea.:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

getchasum111
11-07-2008, 11:51 AM

no problem here...and it's fast...

VtSteve
11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
You guys have done a great job here. I agree with the Less is More comment. It's well laid out, the servers seem to be doing a great job. Much easier to read without the crappola on many other sites. Hats off to all involved.

Steve, back to lurking

Pop
11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Great site.