PDA

View Full Version : We'll be there

T2x
08-20-2009, 02:03 PM
APBA Race CircularRegatta:
Niagara Frontier Boat Show and Bob Schroeder Event Date: 9/12/2009 – 9/12/2009
Conducting Club:WESTERN NY VINTAGE BOAT RACING ASSOCTest Date: Region: 2 Sanction ID: 10619
Approved Place:Grand Island, NY Niagara RiverReceived Date:7/23/2009 Approved Date:8/20/2009

Directions:Take I-190 North to Grand Island, NY. Exit at Beaver Island Parkway. Take Expressway, then left onto Bush Rd.
At East River Rd. turn right, then quick left into entrance of Buffalo Launch Club, 503 East River Rd.

Accommodations:Host hotel is Grand Island Holiday Inn. 100 East River Rd.
When reserving rooms, use code BTS to get special show room rate.

Course:Oval course with 3 pin turns for Vintage fly-bys

Start Type:APBA flag

Safety / Rescue:Tonawanda Police Underwater Dive squad

Classes: Saturday, September 12, 200900800 VINTAGE

Prizes:Participant Awards

Registration:In advance by mail or on site Friday, 9/11 - 10:00 am-5:00 pm.
Also the day of the show 9/12 at 8:00 am at the registration tent on site.

Driver Meeting:9/12 - in front of the Launch Club flag post - 9:00 am

Entry Fees:APBA Race Boats in the water - $45

Send Entries To:Alan Frederick, 588 Sweeney St, North Tonawanda, NY 14120

Officials:Race Director (3813) RICH DEGLOPPER, 21 SUMMERWOOD CT, BUFFALO, NY
Referee (903) WILLIAM P MORSHEIMER, 1 HILLCREST DR, BLOOMFIELD, NY
Assistant Referee (1031) H W DEGLOPPER JR, 41 RIVERWOODS DR, GRAND ISLAND, NY
Scorer (52054) ELIZABETH BARKER, 835 N COLONY RD, GRAND ISLAND, NY
Risk Manager (70703) MARGARET HOLLSTEIN, 191 BROCKMORE DR, EAST AMHERST, NY
Vintage Rep (70637) BRIAN DEGLOPPER, 34 ISLAND PARK CIRCLE, GRAND ISLAND, NY
Vintage Inspector (4827) DARRYL MONETTE, 76 GROVE ST, TONAWANDA, NY

Notes:This is the site of the oldest APBA powerboat racing club in the U.S.
Friday night will feature a free Pit Pass Party for all participants and family.
Sunday will feature a sit down steak dinner with awards presented.

This Regatta is sanctioned through APBA
All prizes are the responsibility of the conducting Club. APBA does not guarantee nor is it responsible for payment of prizes. You are advised that this event may be canceled prior to the race due to circumstances beyond the control of this association. If you plan to travel a long distance, it is recommended that you contact the race sponsor prior to your departure to ensure this event will take place

Dude! Sweet!
08-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Have fun! Don't forget where you might end up if you break down in the upper river! I can see it now in the Falls museum! Rich Luhrs, first man to go over the falls in a Switzer Wing! :sifone:

T2x
08-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Have fun! Don't forget where you might end up if you break down in the upper river! I can see it now in the Falls museum! Rich Luhrs, first man to go over the falls in a Switzer Wing! :sifone:

With that design the hull probably wouldn't touch down until it reached about 5 miles down river....... :D

T2x
09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.jallanphotographystore.com/p908909572/h1624df73#h1624df73

glassdave
09-21-2009, 02:04 PM
any pics of that event to post? way cool.

Rich did they ever race with two people in the Switzer wings? Just curious if the other seat got utilized or were they raced with just a single occupant.

T2x
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
any pics of that event to post? way cool.

Rich did they ever race with two people in the Switzer wings? Just curious if the other seat got utilized or were they raced with just a single occupant.

Click on this link

http://www.jallanphotographystore.com/p908909572/h1624df73#h1624df73

Dude! Sweet!
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
What are you doing in October? :sifone:

Parker 300.

http://site.enduro300.com/Official_Rules.php

cosmic12
09-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Love the slide show!!!!
I try to get up to Clayton (1000 Islands) every year for a day, Do you ever get up there?
I can stand there a look at those boats all day, Pardon Me is one of the most beautiful boats ever built IMHO.
Love the old woodies

Switzer It
09-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I can't believe I missed this. This is minutes from me. $#%^$@#^&%&^!!!!!

T2x
09-24-2009, 10:23 AM
What are you doing in October? :sifone:

Parker 300.

http://site.enduro300.com/Official_Rules.php

I doubt that she'll withstand 300 miles.... That's a race for a 21 Shadow.

Ratickle
09-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Now there's something you never said in offshore.......:sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
09-24-2009, 12:12 PM

I was thinking about taking my 24 Pantera out there... Hey at least that way, I'd sink it in fresh water! :sifone:

Actually, I'm planning on going out to watch.

The Parker enduro was a big time race at one point though, right?

T2x
09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
I was thinking about taking my 24 Pantera out there... Hey at least that way, I'd sink it in fresh water! :sifone:

Actually, I'm planning on going out to watch.

The Parker enduro was a big time race at one point though, right?

One of the biggest...and along with Havasu reigned at the top of the multi hour-multi day marathons for years. Havasu was outboards only while Parker featured inboards and outboards. There were monster inboard flatbottoms, hydros and tunnel hulls...the best from the west coast and eventually from all over the world. One year ( and basically from then on) an outboard won the race....... and the world was rocked forever. The OB tunnel boats remain the best and most efficient circle racers to this day.

The "new" Parker format limits the speed and setup of all the entrants in an effort to eliminate canopied full race entrants. Ron Hill and his group have created a great event that sounds like a lot of fun....... I'd love to try it sometime.

T2x

Ratickle
09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
My brain is getting old. Wasn't Parker where they had that combination river/lake race where the boats towards the end were jet inboard/V-drive inboard combined ??? Or was that some other race?

T2x
09-25-2009, 10:29 AM
My brain is getting old. Wasn't Parker where they had that combination river/lake race where the boats towards the end were jet inboard/V-drive inboard combined ??? Or was that some other race?
Parker continued on well into the late 90's and ceased. It was restarted about3-4 years ago in the new format. To be honest I don't know what changes occurred after the "glory days" of the 60's 70's and 80's as we were off on our Offshore tangent. Perhaps the big marathon flatbottoms took over the site at some point (Duff Daily, etc). I really can't say.

T2x

Ratickle
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Parker continued on well into the late 90's and ceased. It was restarted about3-4 years ago in the new format. To be honest I don't know what changes occurred after the "glory days" of the 60's 70's and 80's as we were off on our Offshore tangent. Perhaps the big marathon flatbottoms took over the site at some point (Duff Daily, etc). I really can't say.

T2x

I'll dig my stuff up. Seems like somebody came up with a transfer box to switch from jet to a retractable V-drive so they could run the river portion one way and the lake portion faster with the V-drive. Hmmmmm

T2x
09-25-2009, 11:04 AM
I'll dig my stuff up. Seems like somebody came up with a transfer box to switch from jet to a retractable V-drive so they could run the river portion one way and the lake portion faster with the V-drive. Hmmmmm

I don't know what your referring to....the whole Parker race is on the Colorado river... you may be confusing this with the Jet boats on the rapids in the northwest, Mexico and New Zealand.

Ratickle
09-25-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't know what your referring to....the whole Parker race is on the Colorado river... you may be confusing this with the Jet boats on the rapids in the northwest, Mexico and New Zealand.

I think it was Parker. There were areas from what I recall where the river got shallow so the fast V-drives of the day had damage problems. I'll look into it.