PDA

View Full Version : and So It Continues pt-2

SCARAB3DMC
08-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Replaced head gasket because of loose bolts, (see and So It Continues part one) fire on rack connected to hose, runs fine good water out exhaust, unable to bring up on hose hookup, starts collapsing the supply hose.Today I take her out, fires fine, leave marina, on plane, port motor temp rising. stop. still have good water from exhaust. but block seems alot hotter than exhaust??? I have the thermostat out, I pulled and checked the sea water pump, Gen VI Big block,Stainless marine exhaust, original Thermostat housing 1983 454 version,Still have water circulating pump on engine, water temp gauge read 185, Starboard side(left) of the engine hotter than the port ?? What is causing poor water circulation thru the engine block? this experience was the same with or with out the thermostat installed Other engine runs 150 temp all day??

MacGyver
08-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Did the replacement head gaskets have the same openings for the water passages?

SCARAB3DMC
08-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Pulled the plugs on the left bank.. water in # 6 and # 8..:ack2::ack2:..cracked head or block..who's guessing??

MacGyver
08-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Pulled the plugs on the left bank.. water in # 6 and # 8..:ack2::ack2:..cracked head or block..who's guessing??

Sucks to hear. Hopefully its the head.

SCARAB3DMC
08-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Sucks to hear. Hopefully its the head.

Weird..pulled the head and was cleaning it when I found the main water passage in tie head @ # 2 cylinder was plugged with black sand..I looked thru the intake and block, this is the only sign of sand WTF ??????????
SEE PICS..

Ratickle
08-21-2009, 05:36 PM
That looks like foundry sand. Can't believe it though.

Behind where the sand was, is the casting rougher than everywhere else?

SCARAB3DMC
08-22-2009, 07:41 AM
That looks like foundry sand. Can't believe it though.

Behind where the sand was, is the casting rougher than everywhere else?

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY, not so much rougher but very clean

Ratickle
08-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Removing sand from an aluminum casting isn't easy. My guess, they blew it.

Chris
08-22-2009, 09:27 AM
If you got a partially torqued head hot from running once, it's probably warped. Did you do a minimum resurface on it?

inbetween
08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Weird..pulled the head and was cleaning it when I found the main water passage in tie head @ # 2 cylinder was plugged with black sand..I looked thru the intake and block, this is the only sign of sand WTF ??????????
SEE PICS..

Were those heads new?

SCARAB3DMC
08-22-2009, 04:40 PM
If you got a partially torqued head hot from running once, it's probably warped. Did you do a minimum resurface on it?

I plan on it thanks.. :sifone:

Adam..yes these are new heads:willy_nilly:

PatriYacht
08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Wow, never seen one like that before. I'd call the company that made the head and see about getting a new one. For all of the damage they caused, they should agree. After a severe overheating, you could have warpage, valveseats falling out etc.