PDA

View Full Version : Deep TRS's 4 blades and good?

FULL FORCE
08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I have a 86 Baja 320 Force, 400's with TRS, I run standard Mirage 23P now, I have seen a best of 65mph at 5000 on GPS, it definently needs more bow lift and I know Mirage Plus's are better for that, but is there a 4 blad that I could try to get more cruise and similar top end? I know top end will be most likely best with a 3 blade, but I also heard that some 4 blades may equal same top end while lifting bow and get more cruise, I average 44 mph at 3500 right now, I would love a better cruise since I spend alot of time there.

I do not have alot of other 320's to compare with as most have went to bravo, or have 32 Calibers with same hull but again, Bravo boats..

I tried drives spinning in and had pretty much same results but horrible driveability in rough water, I am on Lake Erie and like runnign in the rough stuff so I like drives spinning out, at least for now!

If the boat is a 65 mph boat I am fine with that just want to make sure I have best all around performance..

ThrottleUp Props
08-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I think a 4B propeller may indeed carry the load better but top end may be effected, negatively. There is only one way to find out.....try a set. Are you props Mirage or Mirage Plus props?

Julie

scottc
08-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I have a set of 4 blade bravo1 4 blade 22 that are a close match to the 23 3 blade but I get a better cruise speed with the 4 and more top end with the 3.
Boat is a 1984 Formula 402. 502 efi mags max rpm @4400 (I know a little over proped)

ThrottleUp Props
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Correct Scottc....If his 23P props are Mirage Plus props then your 22P Bravo I props would be great!

If he has old style Mirage then things will be different.

Julie

scottc
08-13-2009, 11:49 AM
What changes would I need to get my r's up to 5200 but still maintain close to what I have speed wise? I top out @51-52 mph @4300.

FULL FORCE
08-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Correct Scottc....If his 23P props are Mirage Plus props then your 22P Bravo I props would be great! If he has old style Mirage then things will be different. Julie i have standard mirage now...not plus.

ThrottleUp Props
08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
So that would mean that you will need 15.0 x 20P 4B Props.
What motors do you have?

Julie

FULL FORCE
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
So that would mean that you will need 15.0 x 20P 4B Props.
What motors do you have?

Julie

I had 400's but added Merlin heads and Holley intakes, they should be about 440 hp now...??? my speeds and rpm seem to be off even with the Mirage the more I see what most guys run with 420's with similar hulls, I am thinking it has alot to do with the lack of bow lift I have, I can trim the boat to the moon and it rides very level..

bbladesprops
08-13-2009, 06:51 PM
If Labbed props are what you want, we should go with the B1's. However, stock Revolution 4 props create great overall lift out of the box.

Your efficiantcy is good at cruise and top end with the existing props. That's actually a little surprising.

We can test M+ props and B1's if you like. Personally, I think a modified 24 Bravo 1 prop would be my choice. As long as 4900-500 is a good WOT RPM.

Brett

FULL FORCE
08-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks,

I just picked up a set of Hydromotive 23P 4 blades from the previous owner of my boat, I want to see how they are now, he never used the boat for WOT really, just cruising, he kept these when I bought it, I added a few hp since then and want to see how it runs since they wer elocal and easy to try, he had no speedometer on it so I have no idea how it ran for him then.

I will see how it goes and get a 4 blade baseline with these for right now then move on..

again thanks..I will be contacting soon!

ROGUE
08-14-2009, 08:05 AM
I would be interested in trying those too since I am staying away from WOT now. I dont think they have enough bow lift though.

FULL FORCE
08-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I would be interested in trying those too since I am staying away from WOT now. I dont think they have enough bow lift though.

I am sure we can try them..

ThrottleUp Props
08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
The Mirage, Mirage Plus, Bravo I and Maximus props are high rake, which means bow lifting props.

The Hydromotive QIV, P5 and H6 props are semi-cleavers with lower rake so they are considered stern lifting props. This is also the case with Hering and Throttle Up props.

Julie

FULL FORCE
08-14-2009, 03:37 PM
The Mirage, Mirage Plus, Bravo I and Maximus props are high rake, which means bow lifting props.

The Hydromotive QIV, P5 and H6 props are semi-cleavers with lower rake so they are considered stern lifting props. This is also the case with Hering and Throttle Up props.

Julie

With my drives spinning in would I want the stern lifting? or no?

FULL FORCE
08-16-2009, 09:04 AM
OK, tried the Hydromotive 4 blades yesterday, 23 pitch, I was very surprised at results...

3500= 49 mph cruise
4600-4700 =62 mph

The lake was flat, I bet it would hit 64-65 with 3-4 footers as this boat runs best there, I do still have bottom paint on the boat that I hope to remove this winter since I finally found rack storage, I was always told it slows you done 1-2 mph, then yesterday had a friend tell me when he had to put it on his Formula he lost an honest 5 mph, boat drove great with the 4 blades, I really like them, I now wonder to get rpm up should I have these worked or go with a tad smaller pitch?

Again, I was amazed at results, I did not think it would break 57-58 with a 4 blade, I was wrong..

ThrottleUp Props
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
It is carrying the boat better obviously! Testing is always a good thing and can produce surprising results. Now bottom paint can certainly rob you of top end and I have heard anywhere from 4-8 MPH. I would recommend that you remove the bottom pain, baseline the props and then adjust from there.

Julie

FULL FORCE
08-17-2009, 02:03 PM
It is carrying the boat better obviously! Testing is always a good thing and can produce surprising results. Now bottom paint can certainly rob you of top end and I have heard anywhere from 4-8 MPH. I would recommend that you remove the bottom pain, baseline the props and then adjust from there.

Julie

Yea, again, I was very surprised at results, I will gte the paint off this winter somehow..

Thanks!

SCARAB3DMC
08-17-2009, 05:21 PM
OK, tried the Hydromotive 4 blades yesterday, 23 pitch, I was very surprised at results...

3500= 49 mph cruise
4600-4700 =62 mph

The lake was flat, I bet it would hit 64-65 with 3-4 footers as this boat runs best there, I do still have bottom paint on the boat that I hope to remove this winter since I finally found rack storage, I was always told it slows you done 1-2 mph, then yesterday had a friend tell me when he had to put it on his Formula he lost an honest 5 mph, boat drove great with the 4 blades, I really like them, I now wonder to get rpm up should I have these worked or go with a tad smaller pitch?

Again, I was amazed at results, I did not think it would break 57-58 with a 4 blade, I was wrong..

DUDE..I TOLD YOU SO..

good input Julie.. How ya Been ??

FULL FORCE
08-17-2009, 06:30 PM
DUDE..I TOLD YOU SO..

I hear ya, I will call ya tonight..

ThrottleUp Props
08-17-2009, 08:09 PM
DUDE..I TOLD YOU SO..

Thank you. All is well...thanks for asking!

How about you....are you having an enjoyable summer?

Julie

FULL FORCE
08-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you. All is well...thanks for asking!

How about you....are you having an enjoyable summer?

Julie

Actually... Dave is not so far... still haveing engine gremlins...poor guy..:(