PDA

View Full Version : Crane Fireball H--6M ignition woes

Gordo
08-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I have a Crane Fireball HI-6M ignition. It worked great when I removed it for engine replacement. I then went on a long layoff from boating. I am now getting everything back together and back in the boat, however I have no ignotion. I have re-traced the basic connections with nothing wrong (that I noticed). I have not found much help as far as diagnostics are concerned, and no one answers the "tech help line".
At this point, I'm about to throw it away and go back to the factory MercRacing HP500 ignition.
Anyone familiar with the Crane ignition that could help out?
Thanks!

Mike "Gordo" Gordon

Gordo
08-11-2009, 01:39 PM
At this point, I'm ready to go back to the factory ignition and consider it a FactoryMercury Racing 500 Bulldog

OldSchool
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey Mike,
I have limited experience with them. It's always been that they work or they don't work. :) I do have a manual that I printed out. Do you want me to scan it and send it your way? If so, PM me your email address.

Craig

FTMBOB
09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Gordo, did you get it working? If not I may be able to help. You can also still pull up the installation guide at Cranecams.com

Nordicflame
09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Here's a detailed trouble shoot I just went through.
Hope it helps...
Dave

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/215540-ignition-problem-hi-6m-tb-iv-distributor.html

Gordo
09-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the link Dave.
I'll try mine out and let you'all know what I find.

Gordo

FastDonzi
09-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I Just got my old Boat back (to work on for the new owner) They Said the Hi-6 box is Bad....Well what I Found was His Brother Put a Mallory Photo type Rotor Button on the Magnetic Distributor, the photo type rotor is shrouded & Has eight 1/8" openings (for the photo eye) The shroud part of the rotor Has Cut through the wires for the Mag sensor. I Knew when the Brother told me he went in and adjusted the Points (on a Mag Dist), some stuff was gonna Be Fu*ked, and it was, But Not the Crane Box.......

Any Moron would have Noticed the two rotors had nothing in common, But only one Moron would have used it anyway:cuss: