PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Tanks

Dude! Sweet!
08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I'd love to see some photos of front water ballast tank set ups. I'd like to see where the pickup is and the dump. Anyone have anything? Thanks!

Perlmudder
08-10-2009, 06:06 PM
daredevil has one on his raceboat. i think he said the pickup is on one of the tabs and its a 40 gallon tank in the bow. he posted pics somewhere of it!

DAREDEVIL
08-10-2009, 10:44 PM
YEP !!!!!!! 36 gallons actually. LOL

What i did is, take a old blatic fueltank and cut a hole in it.
Mount a 3500 rule pump in to it.
close the hole with a nice plastic plate and seal it after u ran the wires and hose to the pump.
I then used the fill and piped it to the back of the boat with a 12V selonoid valve and a ball valve at the helm ( just in case ), the water gets picked up ( forced in ) from the trim tab and the pump pumps it over bord in the front.
alsodon't forget to put an other thru hull in there for the air to escape when filling.

TOTAL COST 200 bucks and works perfect.
But also dont forget i have NO cabin in the boat.
And never mount it all the way in the bow ,,not good .
Here is a pic from the tab ( water balast pick up )

Dude! Sweet!
08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
That's pretty straight forward. My six man boat had an 80 gal fuel tank just ahead of the cockpit and I was thinking of putting in a ballast tank up there with an eye towards using the boat for ski racing. Here's a pic of the spot.

Anyone else have photos?

DAREDEVIL
08-11-2009, 11:45 AM
That's pretty straight forward. My six man boat had an 80 gal fuel tank just ahead of the cockpit and I was thinking of putting in a ballast tank up there with an eye towards using the boat for ski racing. Here's a pic of the spot.

Anyone else have photos?

I would put it right behind the bulkhead,,,beond the carpet erea.

Not all the way in the bow.

Like a 20-30 gallon tank is plenty.

Mine takes 35 seconds to fill and with the 3500 pump ~ 57 seconds to empty.

I will try to get some pictures later of the tank and the rigging ( not pretty but it works .)

Dude! Sweet!
08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I was going to drop it in that hole to keep it nice and low. Used to have an 80 gal fuel tank in there so plenty of room. Thanks!

DAREDEVIL
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
OH,,i thought u said the fuel tank is stil in there ???

Ofcorse,,if its not ,then yes drop it in that space !!!!!!!

BenPerfected
08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Here is another transom PU for the ballast tank. This is an IMCO piece.

BenPerfected
08-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Woops...wrong picture, but thr handle on the left is to move the pick up.

Dude! Sweet!
08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks! Very very slick looking Panther by the way!