PDA

View Full Version : Trailer covers

Expensive Date
08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
What is everyone using Might be towing 400 miles in the fall.Right now all I have is my cockpit cover

Sydwayz
08-09-2009, 11:00 PM
For one trip, all you need is your cockpit cover and a good set of mudflaps for your truck.

Just buy some pipe insulating foam from Home Depot, and use it as a cushion between your edges of your windshield and your cockpit cover. You can be a little extra safe by picking up some shrink wrap tape (I prefer Hull Preservation Tape from Dr-Shrink.com) and tape down the forward edges of your cover before you depart; to avoid an air gust going under the front of the cover.

"Hot Duck" on the boards has a guy in MD that makes a full boat cover that fits like a glove down to the chines, but they are very pricey. He has posts on OSO.

Expensive Date
08-09-2009, 11:20 PM
For one trip, all you need is your cockpit cover and a good set of mudflaps for your truck.

Just buy some pipe insulating foam from Home Depot, and use it as a cushion between your edges of your windshield and your cockpit cover. You can be a little extra safe by picking up some shrink wrap tape (I prefer Hull Preservation Tape from Dr-Shrink.com) and tape down the forward edges of your cover before you depart; to avoid an air gust going under the front of the cover.

"Hot Duck" on the boards has a guy in MD that makes a full boat cover that fits like a glove down to the chines, but they are very pricey. He has posts on OSO.

Won't the duct tape leave glue on the cover and boat.My cockpit cover has come loose from the front while towing locally will probably replace the snaps this winter is there a tool to do that or do I have to take it to a canvas shop?

Sydwayz
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Not duct tape, Shrink Wrap Tape. This exact tape is what I use, an I put tape across the front and 3 feet down each forward side every time I tow with the cover on. Get the 4" wide stuff.

http://www.dr-shrink.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=hF58I91139D078D3g

Do not leave it on longer than you have to. Do not leave it just sitting in the sun. Put it on right before you tow, and take it off when you get there; and you will be fine. It will not stick to the cover if the cover is wet. But if it starts raining once you are towing, the tape stays put.

Sydwayz
08-10-2009, 08:36 AM
True Shrink Wrap Tape is "stickier" than the Hull Preservation Tape.

Shrink Wrap Tape is for taping shrink wrap to shrink wrap.

Hull Preservation Tape is for taping shrink wrap to the boat.

Sydwayz
08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Example

Expensive Date
08-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks

DAREDEVIL
08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
what is everyone using might be towing 400 miles in the fall.right now all i have is my cockpit cover

thats plenty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geronimo36
08-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I usually trailer with the cover off and if it's a long distance I shrink wrap it past the chine and shrinkwrap tape to the boat so no wind can get underneath the cover. I trailered a few times with the full cover but only on the local highway (50 mph).

I've seen too many covers from previous customers shredded on the turnpike so I don't take my chances. :(

You'll have some road dust to clean in the cockpit when you get there.

Expensive Date
08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
I usually trailer with the cover off and if it's a long distance I shrink wrap it past the chine and shrinkwrap tape to the boat so no wind can get underneath the cover. I trailered a few times with the full cover but only on the local highway (50 mph).

I've seen too many covers from previous customers shredded on the turnpike so I don't take my chances. :(

You'll have some road dust to clean in the cockpit when you get there.

Thought about that but what if its raining.

Seafordguy
08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I towed mine with my cockpit cover from CT to VA when I bought it. No ill effects.

Expensive Date
10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Tape worked great thanks!!