PDA

View Full Version : Torqueflo/prop hub info needed

Tony
08-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Ive got a flo tourqe solid hub prop that when stuck on a TRS shaft seems like it sticks way too far out on the shaft with a standard Merc thrust washer. Without the thrust washer it seems way too close to the drive case. Whats the dealio here??

Also there is a a good amount of slop between the insert and the prop hub on both props, I can turn the prop a good 1/8th inch before the propshaft starts to move. The insert to the propshaft is tight, the insert to the prop hub is sloppy, is this normal for the flotorque design??? This is the first time Ive ever dealt with anything other than solid hub cleavers.

This is the one that sticks out too far w/ thrust washer.

ThrottleUp Props
08-08-2009, 06:47 PM
What you are describing is a need for the rubber bushings on the 4 corners.

Julie

insanity
08-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I noticed on my cousins boats the props have similar 'slop', two different sets of props and two different sets of hubs too.

FULL FORCE
08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Ive got a flo tourqe solid hub prop that when stuck on a TRS shaft seems like it sticks way too far out on the shaft with a standard Merc thrust washer. Without the thrust washer it seems way too close to the drive case. Whats the dealio here??

Also there is a a good amount of slop between the insert and the prop hub on both props, I can turn the prop a good 1/8th inch before the propshaft starts to move. The insert to the propshaft is tight, the insert to the prop hub is sloppy, is this normal for the flotorque design??? This is the first time Ive ever dealt with anything other than solid hub cleavers.

This is the one that sticks out too far w/ thrust washer.

I had that problem when trying DD42's props.... I could not figure it out either...but the rubber was ok, they worked on his boat ok but not mine..

ThrottleUp Props
08-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Try the bushings first. If that is not it call me we will figure it out. But to clarify...if the drive sleeve is not allowing the bevel of the thrust washer to insert then it is the worlng length dirve sleeve. If the hub has slop then you need new bushings.

I don't want to confuse the subjects here.

Julie

Tony
08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I picked up the correct length drive sleeve from a buddy today.

Now, whats with the slop between the drive sleeve and the hub insert? I'm talking about the part that has the drive splines cast on the inside and the 4 splines/keys cast into the outside. Thats the part thats a little sloppy.

FULL FORCE
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM

Now, whats with the slop between the drive sleeve and the hub insert? I'm talking about the part that has the drive splines cast on the inside and the 4 splines/keys cast into the outside. Thats the part thats a little sloppy.

How is the rubber? the rubber can get worn/hard and not fit right, we had that issue last week with Scotts 5 blades we tried, his hub was sloppy, then we used the one from Greg and it was tight, I bet the rubber is worn..

ThrottleUp Props
08-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Can you remove the hub and show me (picture) the end of the drive sleeve that the aft adapter (brass part) fits into. If it is worn out then you need a new drive sleeve. But, keep in mind that there is always a TINY bit of play there.

Julie

Tony
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
That tiny bit of play is what Im talking about. The bronze/ brass part with the castle nut cast into it. It wiggles a little bit in the prop hub, but when placed on the propshaft by itself its a solid fit. I guess I'm just used to old school cleavers and zero slop.

I just didnt know if that little bit of play was acceptable or not.

FULL FORCE
08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
That tiny bit of play is what Im talking about. The bronze/ brass part with the castle nut cast into it. It wiggles a little bit in the prop hub, but when placed on the propshaft by itself its a solid fit. I guess I'm just used to old school cleavers and zero slop.

I just didnt know if that little bit of play was acceptable or not.

The brass washers has a tad of slop on mine too, that is fine from what I know..

ThrottleUp Props
08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
A very little bit is KEY!!! If it moves alot look at the "4 slots" to see if they are worn. If not you are probably OK.

Julie

Tony
08-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks for all the help.