PDA

View Full Version : Robert Young, Aronow killer has new trial this week......

JupiterSunsation
11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Jury selected for suspect in attempted hit on relative in South Florida
Jurors won't hear about his slaying of speedboat king in 1987

By Vanessa Blum | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
November 4, 2008

Lawyers selected a jury in Fort Lauderdale federal court on Monday for the trial of a drug smuggler charged with trying to put out a hit on a relative from inside a federal prison.

No stranger to criminal court, Robert Young, 60, is best known for carrying out the execution-style slaying of speedboat king Don Aronow in 1987.

The sensational murder, which went unsolved for years, earned Young minor notoriety in the lore of South Florida's cocaine cowboys era. He pleaded no contest to the $60,000 hit job in 1995.

But Broward County jurors won't hear about Young's violent past as they weigh the current charges against him: that he tried to arrange the slaying of his brother-in-law; that he possessed a firearm as a convicted felon; and that he gave that firearm to another felon.

Prosecutor Donald Chase will tell jurors Young wrongly thought Roderick "Rickie" Mudrie tipped off authorities leading to Young's arrest in 2001 and sought to have him killed.

Young has denied wanting Mudrie dead. His attorney, Paul Donnelly, contends his client never ordered associates to kill Mudrie. Donnelly says prosecutors waited too long to charge Young with the gun offenses, allowing a five-year statute of limitations to expire.

The trial is expected to last about one week. Young, who is currently serving a 10-year federal sentence for possession of a firearm, faces life in prison if convicted. Otherwise, he is set for release in March 2011.

Young was sentenced to 19 years in prison for Aronow's murder, but served just a fraction of that and was released in 1999. At the time, Florida prisons were severely overcrowded.

DollaBill
11-05-2008, 01:38 PM
It sucks that Don was killed. I wonder what the performance world would be like if he was still around. Can you imagine Reggie AND Don at the Miami Show???!! hoily crap that would be great.

But, you live by the sword you die by the sword. And thats OK as long as you know the rules going in....

Tank
11-05-2008, 02:05 PM
nice that you can kill someone and only do 4 years....I suppose if he was still in custody (like he f*ckin' should be), these other charges wouldn't apply...Hmmm, funny how that works!:rolleyes:

fund razor
11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
nice that you can kill someone and only do 4 years....I suppose if he was still in custody (like he f*ckin' should be), these other charges wouldn't apply...Hmmm, funny how that works!:rolleyes:

He did it while being in custody on a different 10 year sentence.

vagrant
11-05-2008, 02:34 PM
It sucks that Don was killed. I wonder what the performance world would be like if he was still around. Can you imagine Reggie AND Don at the Miami Show???!! hoily crap that would be great.

But, you live by the sword you die by the sword. And thats OK as long as you know the rules going in....

I have often wondered the same thing.

JupiterSunsation
11-05-2008, 04:03 PM

I think Don was a great innovator but would have been a nightmare to do business with (buying a business from not boats) or have as a competitor.

He would be about 80 now and I think his autobiography would be amazing.

Tank
11-05-2008, 05:53 PM
He did it while being in custody on a different 10 year sentence.

was he in custody for something else? cause it said he only did 4 years for the arronow murder.

I see now where it said he was attempting the hit from inside prison....Well let me re-phrase then. If they would've given him the death sentence and killed his azz like they should've then this wouldn't have happened!

DKwestern
11-05-2008, 06:12 PM
only 4 years, thats a crime

fund razor
11-05-2008, 06:32 PM
was he in custody for something else? cause it said he only did 4 years for the arronow murder.

I see now where it said he was attempting the hit from inside prison....Well let me re-phrase then. If they would've given him the death sentence and killed his azz like they should've then this wouldn't have happened!

Yes. The story said something about federal weapons charge, I could be wrong? Different case.