PDA

View Full Version : Air cooled Power steering?

08-05-2009, 01:55 AM
There are quite a few air cooled Power steering "radiators out there.

Anyone try one in a marine application to reduce the heat load on incoming raw water therefore keeping the water cooler for the oil cooler and heat exchanger?

Trim'd Up
08-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I haven't tried it but I am going to if needed. I am not running a steering cooler at all on the new motor. I have only ran the boat for a couple of hours though. I have a transmission cooler laying in the garage I figured I would try before buying a new $100 cooler. I just can't wrap my head around what is so different in a boat vs. a car that requires a cooler at all. The only thing I can think of is RPM's.

Airpacker
08-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Most modern cars HAVE power steering oil coolers of one form or another. Sometimes an actual small air to oil heat exchanger, sometimes jst a big loop of solid steel line but a cooler none the less.

insanity
08-05-2009, 09:13 AM
It's not uncommon for some cars to run the power steering through the actual radiator as well. Although that may be more for when it is really cold out.

08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I am looking for ways to keep my raw water as cold as possible to get the most cooling for oil and engine coolant. Without running a second set of unattractive and heavy water lines that is. My PS cooler is first in line after the strainer and I am not even sure how much heat it adds but I saw a wide variety of air coolers in the Summit catalog, both with and without fans.

I have often wondered just how hot the PS fluid gets???

Airpacker
08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I rigged mine so oil cooler is first after the raw water pump, then fuel cooler, then ps cooler then into the engine. Keeping engine temp down doesn't appear to be a problem so far.

08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I rigged mine so oil cooler is first after the raw water pump, then fuel cooler, then ps cooler then into the engine. Keeping engine temp down doesn't appear to be a problem so far.

My Oil cooler produces the most heat under hard runs. That is what I am trying to improve on most. I am unsure how much the PS cooler affects this. I guess I need to reroute and find out. :ack2:

BTW, I don't have a fuel cooler but I would have guessed that would come first to keep the fuel coldest and that it would warm the water the least. But What do I know, I can't get my oil cooled fast enough. :(

insanity
08-05-2009, 04:25 PM
I am looking for ways to keep my raw water as cold as possible to get the most cooling for oil and engine coolant. Without running a second set of unattractive and heavy water lines that is. My PS cooler is first in line after the strainer and I am not even sure how much heat it adds but I saw a wide variety of air coolers in the Summit catalog, both with and without fans.

I have often wondered just how hot the PS fluid gets???

Quickest way to find out would be to take an IR therm to the PS pump or even to the lines where they enter/exit the cooler (if you can get to them) after a long run and see what the temps are.

08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Good suggestion. I have an infra red unit. :USA:

Trim'd Up
08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Quickest way to find out would be to take an IR therm to the PS pump or even to the lines where they enter/exit the cooler (if you can get to them) after a long run and see what the temps are.

That was my plan for today. Unfortunately I left the IR thermometer at home.:cuss: I am doing something though. The power steering fluid gets hotter than I like for sure. I can touch it but I don't want to hold my hand to it for reall long.

Airpacker
08-06-2009, 07:58 AM
My Oil cooler produces the most heat under hard runs. That is what I am trying to improve on most. I am unsure how much the PS cooler affects this. I guess I need to reroute and find out. :ack2:

BTW, I don't have a fuel cooler but I would have guessed that would come first to keep the fuel coldest and that it would warm the water the least. But What do I know, I can't get my oil cooled fast enough. :(

oooops, sorry, wrote that wrong.

Inlet to strainer to pump to fuel cooler to oil cooler to PS cooler to crossover inlet. I run a semi returnless FI system so the fuel cooler ( a mofidied PS cooler BTW) is a must for me.

insanity
09-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Anybody ever get any temps? Curious to find out.

sledge
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Cars don't need them because they mostly run low RPMs and aren't turning (loading the steering pump) constantly.

Throw 4000+ RPMs and working the steering wheel into the mix, and you'll likely boil the fluid.

Trim'd Up
09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Anybody ever get any temps? Curious to find out.

I never remembered to take my IR with me, but I figured out that running no cooler at all doesen't work out to well. I boiled the PS fluid all over my bilge after a 20-25 minute run between 4500 and 5000 rpm. I just went ahead and picked up a PS steering cooler. I have ran 30+ minutes at 3000-3500 rpms without boiling the fluid but the res. does get pretty hot to the touch.

tunnelvision69
09-02-2009, 12:02 PM
2112 are you using water pickups in the drives? I had the same problem and the fix was to block off the top three holes on each side of the drive & open up the lower holes as well as angle the holes forward. this dropped my oil temps from 280 to 220-230 on a hard run. engine was not running hot. air was mixing with water & not letting the oil cooler work properly. hope this helps, mike

insanity
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I never remembered to take my IR with me, but I figured out that running no cooler at all doesen't work out to well. I boiled the PS fluid all over my bilge after a 20-25 minute run between 4500 and 5000 rpm. I just went ahead and picked up a PS steering cooler. I have ran 30+ minutes at 3000-3500 rpms without boiling the fluid but the res. does get pretty hot to the touch.

So you learned the hard way? :sifone: That's alright, I've learned a few lessons that way myself.

09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
2112 are you using water pickups in the drives? I had the same problem and the fix was to block off the top three holes on each side of the drive & open up the lower holes as well as angle the holes forward. this dropped my oil temps from 280 to 220-230 on a hard run. engine was not running hot. air was mixing with water & not letting the oil cooler work properly. hope this helps, mike

I have low water pick ups in sportmaster shorties. I am installing air vents in the sea strainers as we speak. It was also suggested that I "port and polish" the intake holes on the sportmaster like you suggested.

I should know in a couple weeks. :)

PS I am having a custom transom pick-up made by CPPerformance in case this doesn't work or if I switch to a drive w/o water pick-ups.

old377guy
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM

gosh... we just don't have that problem with Chevy engines..:biggrinjester:

09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
gosh... we just don't have that problem with Chevy engines..:biggrinjester:

Uhm......right:sifone:

Trim'd Up
09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
So you learned the hard way? :sifone: That's alright, I've learned a few lessons that way myself.

Nothing a little soap and water won't take care of. Didn't seem to hurt the pump any. Kinda sucks all over my freshly painted bilge though. :cuss: