PDA

View Full Version : gelcoat buffing burns

US1Fountain
08-04-2009, 10:38 PM
While doing some buffing to remove some oxidation, I burned into the gelcoat with the side of the buffing wheel while going along a corner, leaving a nice brown burnt stain.
Is this something that can be wet sanded out or is it the full thickness and now a permament stain?

What's the fix?

Thanks

MOBILEMERCMAN
08-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Is it a burn or another color showing? Often colors are applied in layers. If it is a burn I would suggest rubbing it with some polish with your figure. Do not use a machine on that spot again.

Need to be careful on edges it is possible to go through the color and in that case all you can do is add color with paint or gel.

glassdave
08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I do it all the time (mostly on my boat though :D ) yea its pretty common as buffing gel builds heat pretty quick. Its no prob to remedy just wetsand a bit with 1000 and hit it again with the wheel.

glassdave
08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
good point Jim i hadnt thought of that. I am assuming its a pad edge burn on the surface. Is so follow above steps, if another color is showing thats another problem. Either way go easy on it

by the way are you using foam or wool?

MarylandMark
08-05-2009, 07:18 AM
If it is a burn I would suggest rubbing it with some polish with your figure.

Watch the movie "The Goonies" first and try using your figure in the "truffle shuffle" maneuver shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_UsDrreJeo

If that doesn't work- try your finger instead. :sifone:

US1Fountain
08-06-2009, 12:14 AM
No underlaying colors, it's in the white gel. I'm using a foam pad. The oxidation is cleaning up really good with that. I can fugg up stuff real fast being the expert I am with a wool pad. So I took the safe route and spend twice as long using foam. It was from the edge of the plastic/rubber dics backing that made contact with the gel. It was hot to touch right afterwards, so it's burned in some, just didn't know if that is surface or a thru burn. I'll try wetsand 1st. Other than that, she's looking good! :),

Thanks

northernoffshore
09-09-2009, 11:10 AM
wool on gel coat

Steve 1
09-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Double face 3-M pads. White then Yellow

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Double face 3-M pads. White then Yellow

Superbuff 3 is my preference too.

US1Fountain
09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Noticed this week the burn has almost disappeared completely. Maybe time and/or sunshine has done magic like an ink stain on vinyl?