PDA

View Full Version : CMI Header Leaking at Silent Choice lever

Seafordguy
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
My tail is leaking at the furtherest aft "lever" that operates the silent choice.

I don't use my SC ever because my pressure relieve spring/valve is worn.

What is the fix for this? I assume that since it is after the header and after the jacketet pressure that this area isn't under THAT much pressure so do you think I could just caulk it for the rest of the summer and fix it this winter?

Geronimo36
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
the Y pipe has a leak?

Probably just a crack in the weld that can be fixed. Just a guess though.

Seafordguy
08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
No luckily (or maybe unluckily) - it is coming out of where the "lever" for the Silent Choice goes into the tailpipe.... Does that make sense? I know it is a crappy description

Geronimo36
08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Maybe there's a worn shaft or something like that.

Seafordguy
08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah - I am guessing there is some kind of bushing or o-ring in there but I am not sure.

Was hoping caulk would get me through a couple weeks and then I could fix it properly over the winter.... Just not sure how much pressure there is at that point in the exhaust...

MERPerformance
08-08-2009, 12:01 PM
My tail is leaking at the furtherest aft "lever" that operates the silent choice.

I don't use my SC ever because my pressure relieve spring/valve is worn.

What is the fix for this? I assume that since it is after the header and after the jacketet pressure that this area isn't under THAT much pressure so do you think I could just caulk it for the rest of the summer and fix it this winter?
If it's a Merc silent choice,you can buy, the seals or match them at the parts store, I believe CMI have a o-ring which you can also match or call them for a repair kit. I wouldn't want all that water running down the side of the engine. It's not that big of a deal to repair.

Seafordguy
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
If it's a Merc silent choice,you can buy, the seals or match them at the parts store, I believe CMI have a o-ring which you can also match or call them for a repair kit. I wouldn't want all that water running down the side of the engine. It's not that big of a deal to repair.

I tried to caulk it and see if it made it through the summer but needless to say, that didn't work. I guess I will pull the pipe off tonight or tomorrow and run up to ADVANCE and try to match it...

Tarheel
08-19-2009, 08:51 AM
If its a CMI diverter, there is a new metal (with rubber coating) seal on the side with the lever. The other side has a brown fiberglass (melamine) spacer that fits between shaft and the side of the diverter. On mine, the metal seals were rotted out after a couple of years in salt water. The brown fiberglass pieces were burned pretty bad too.

The melamine space will be hard to find. You might have to get the kit just to get that piece.

If its CMI...

Seafordguy
08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Tarheel - I just got mine in that I ordered today (from a CMI distributor).

Just to confirm, the new rubber coated metal one fits in there and then the metal "insert" that I am holding in the second picture is no longer used? I can only assume this is how they work because there is no way in HELL I can get the new black seal in, AND that metal "insert".

THANKS.

Tarheel
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Seaford,

Yep, just the rubber seal. Then the shaft goes through, plugs into the melamine spacer on the other side. The Flapper once screwed in holds it in place.

I put a little dab of Merc grease on the melamine spacer and shaft, and where the shaft goes through the rubber seal... just as a precaution.

Seafordguy
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Seaford,

Yep, just the rubber seal. Then the shaft goes through, plugs into the melamine spacer on the other side. The Flapper once screwed in holds it in place.

I put a little dab of Merc grease on the melamine spacer and shaft, and where the shaft goes through the rubber seal... just as a precaution.

Hey Thanks - I got it in last week and everything worked great. Used a little bit of the loc-tite seal retainer product just for the hell of it. Going to do the others just for fun in the next few months I guess.

Tarheel
08-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Seaford,

You'll want to check'em all. I fixed one on the stbd motor, and the other side on the same motor was leaking about month later. And it looked when fine when I did the first one.

And the kits are different from inboard stbd to inboard port...

Bill