PDA

View Full Version : Machine shop costs

fund razor
07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Just curious.
About how much would one expect to pay to have a new BBC block decked, cylinders bored and honed, soft plugs, bearings, you name it. Pistons fitted. The whole enchilada that a machine shop would do with new parts.

Just looking for some additional education.

Thanks.

Tony
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Your gonna see numbers all over the place. Obviously an expert experienced machinist who is geared mainly towards performance engine building is going to cost more than a general shop that builds industrial parts.

fund razor
07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
ballpark?

Geronimo36
07-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Here are rough numbers, a few years old;

1. Hot tank block, overbore and hone; $250
2. Deck Block: $200
3. Align Hone Mains: $200
4. Resize rods, bush and R&R pistons: $320
5. Balance Rotating Assy: $275
6. Micro Polish Crank: $60
7. Bearings -
Mains: $100
Rods: $95
Cam: $26
8. Brass Plug Kit: $20
9. Rings: $290
10: Head Gaskets, Cometic: $300

Ratickle
07-31-2009, 02:25 PM
ballpark?

Come to the race and there will be all kinds of engine builders there to ask.....:sifone:

fund razor
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Here are rough numbers, a few years old;

1. Hot tank block, overbore and hone; $250
2. Deck Block: $200
3. Align Hone Mains: $200
4. Resize rods, bush and R&R pistons: $320
5. Balance Rotating Assy: $275
6. Micro Polish Crank: $60
7. Bearings -
Mains: $100
Rods: $95
Cam: $26
8. Brass Plug Kit: $20
9. Rings: $290
10: Head Gaskets, Cometic: $300

Thanks very much.
I just needed something to get my expectations in line.

fund razor
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Your gonna see numbers all over the place. Obviously an expert experienced machinist who is geared mainly towards performance engine building is going to cost more than a general shop that builds industrial parts.

Understood.

YankeY
07-31-2009, 06:09 PM

X2, and really spend some time researching if you don't know them, cause there are a lot of people out there that will screw you over way too quick.

fund razor
07-31-2009, 06:15 PM
X2, and really spend some time researching if you don't know them, cause there are a lot of people out there that will screw you over way too quick.

Agree. Great advice.
That's not the issue here. No problem there... just doing a little research on what the ranges are out there these days. Even if a trusted friend is doing the work.... I want to know what is fair. Just researching. I don't want to take advantage, as I also do want to get gouged. Just checking.

Thanks for the responses. Totally understand the broad range thing.

Geronimo36
08-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Fund,

Those figures I gave are what I paid a few years ago and the work was done by a machine shop who does a majority of machine work for some very well known marine builders in NJ. This same Machine shop has been doing my machine work for the past 10+ years. :)

Prices may have gone up since then but they should give you a ballpark.

fund razor
08-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Fund,

Those figures I gave are what I paid a few years ago and the work was done by a machine shop who does a majority of machine work for some very well known marine builders in NJ. This same Machine shop has been doing my machine work for the past 10+ years. :)

Prices may have gone up since then but they should give you a ballpark.

It was just the ticket. I just wanted to get my expectations in line with what's going on out there. Ballpark was perfect.

Thanks.

Chris
08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
It depends on what you're looking for. If you want to do the basic machine work and slop it together, add a couple hundred in assembly. If you want a full blueprint assembly, that's going to entail those parts being dry-assembled at least several times.

Geronimo36
08-04-2009, 09:13 AM
It depends on what you're looking for. If you want to do the basic machine work and slop it together, add a couple hundred in assembly. If you want a full blueprint assembly, that's going to entail those parts being dry-assembled at least several times.

I agree with Chris, this will add significantly to the cost and it takes a long time! Last engines I helped match weights within 1/2 gram for each piston and then smoothed all sharp edges, it took a LONG time! Gotta add in a bunch of other stuff such as filling ring gaps, crankshaft end-play etc. I group that all under assembly and that's where your engine builder really shines!

For instance; When I ask my machine shop (Rogers Speed Shop) they will give me matched bearings for my application when cutting or polishing a crank but we still have to measure clearances and mock it up.