PDA

View Full Version : Ontario "Cigarette" Flees US Coast Guard to Canada

Bobthebuilder
07-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Seems someone close to home here took a big chance. Not real smart. What he was thinking? Cambridge, ON is just down the road from me but until I find out more, I don't know if I know this guy or his boat?
I thought there was a recent agreement where CAN or US Coast Guards could chase boats into the other country?

http://news.therecord.com/news/local/article/577234

Perlmudder
07-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Hmm weird. I have seen the OPP chase American boats back to the other side of the lake, so I would assume they could also do it. A couple years ago we were sitting on the boat at the public beach, and a big 40+ foot cat rolled by, they had intercoms and the whole deal. They never dropped anchor,and only cruised by, but just as they took off again, the OPP started chasing them. Within a couple minutes these guys were ripping down the other side of the lake and back towards Buffalo, and the OPP boat was maybe 5 miles offshore. They had their siren and megaphone going, but I highly doubt the people in the cat could hear, or even see them for that matter. I believe they finally called the USCG and they found the guy at the docks in Buffalo, and he claimed he had no idea they were following him. Sort of funny!

I am curious to see how this story with the cig pans out, as soon as the guy paid for gas with a CC he should have known they would track him.

OldSchool
07-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Hmmm...I didn't know that Cigarette ever produced a 43 footer!!!!:rofl::rofl:

ar15meister
07-30-2009, 08:59 AM
I know these guys.

The real story is actually quite different.

By the sounds of the story these guys ****ed off some yacht/sailboat yuppies with a loud boat.

And the boat is very loud so I am guessing they didnt hear or see the coast guard and they also never made any of those comments.

I think US customs would be better off watching afghanis in minivans than wealthy guys in offshore boats but who am I to talk, just a stupid trucker.

Shockwave
07-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Wasn't me .

Bobthebuilder
09-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Too funny, but not really. I just found out it a was my nephew is his 43' Nor Tech !! Guess he wanted to become a notorious offshore boater guy like "Uncle Bob" !! LOL I need to tell him he is going about it the wrong way. I can't really talk any more about this as there are charges and maybe more pending and will not be able to coment further on this, at least for now.
Bob

Ratickle
09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Good luck Bob.

phragle
09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I think US customs would be better off watching afghanis in minivans than wealthy guys in offshore boats but who am I to talk, just a stupid trucker.
those offshore boats would never be used for any kind of illicit activity or smuggling... :sifone:

Magic Medicine
09-24-2009, 01:00 PM
good luck bob, hope everything pans out

insanity
09-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I like this part of the story:

A short pursuit began but was called off due to the high speed of the boat...

Its funny to hear about the CG getting dusted trying to do one of there bullchit stops. Too bad he got 'caught' and now has to deal with the hassle, from the sounds of it he didn't really do anything wrong in the first place...

endeavor1
12-23-2009, 07:28 PM
So, what ever came of all this???

Bobthebuilder
12-26-2009, 01:13 PM
So, what ever came of all this???

The Sept court date in Ontario was postponed till some later date. Don't know when that date is. The court system in Canada can be dragged out for a looooooong time.

Ratickle
12-26-2009, 09:13 PM
The Sept court date in Ontario was postponed till some later date. Don't know when that date is. The court system in Canada can be dragged out for a looooooong time.

Does that mean the Oklahoma National Guard may save him first?????

endeavor1
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM

ANything yet??

Let 'Er Rip Cig
01-19-2010, 09:14 PM
And the moral of the story is...........to pay in cash?

stinger390x
08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Damn Americans have nothing better to do but run around and flex their might to innocent boaters just out to get some sun and fun. I try never to cross over to the American side when cruising the Niagara River as they are very anal there on the U.S. side.
I was boarded a few years ago at midnight coming home from a concert in Lewiston NY and they wer not very corgial! They threatened me with some petty fines for non compliance but let me go anyway with a warning.
Isn't it funny that Canadian life jackets with CSA approval are required in Canadian waters but not allowed in American waters. However American life jackets are not allowed in Canadian Waters as they do not fulfill the safety requirements so being near the border...who's life jackets do I carry?
Canadian "Mustangs" of course.

Damned if you do...damned if you don't................................................................

I would have never known I was being followed by U.S. Coast Guard unless I saw the lights in the dark.
I hope it was daytime for the guy in the Nor-Tec so he can use the "I didn't see I was being pursued" defense.

Good luck Pal and hope they let you go.................

Ratickle
08-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Isn't it funny that Canadian life jackets with CSA approval are required in Canadian waters but not allowed in American waters. However American life jackets are not allowed in Canadian Waters as they do not fulfill the safety requirements so being near the border...who's life jackets do I carry?
Canadian "Mustangs" of course.

I've always thought that was weird. Plus, the safest life jacket on the planet is not Coast Guard approved, Lifelines (Which must be worn when racing)....

stinger390x
11-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Bump...

What ever happened to the guy in Cambridge regarding these crazy charges? Any update?