PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo video, turn 2 Harrison

phragle
07-28-2009, 01:00 AM
I had front rw seats, I was sitting at the most 50 yard inside the turn 2 bouy. Wahoo came into the turn in 1st place and hotter then a two bit Tijauna hooker on navy payday...... I'm just glad the guy's came out in one piece.

6KVkIejRK1Q

Ratickle
07-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks Rob.

And a special thanks to the lady in the green, (I'm terrible at names), who was on George's boat taking the vid. She was putting the camera down to jump overboard when it goes off of Wahoo. Said she was sure Dean and Derek were stopping in to visit!!!!!!:ack2:

She sought the Wahoo team out later after the race in the pits, then took the time to download it to Rob's computer for us all.

Sunsation96
07-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Holy Cow!:willy_nilly::svengo::eek:Way to recover Wahoo:driving::gnorsi:

Ratickle
07-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Sure like to hear the mic in there...

Dean, any insight???? I know it was still running.....

phragle
07-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I havent heard the onboard audio, but I am giving it a 50/50 chance the it was either "OH CHIT!!" or "OH PHUCK!"

phragle
07-28-2009, 11:18 AM
The lady in green was somehow assoc. with Evil Ed/ Glass Dave's Traffic light/cleveland construction team. Good people.

RPM
07-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Heres the spinout in slo mo as per Batickles request!
http://vimeo.com/5800540

Don't know how to put player on here! sorry...

Ratickle
07-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks Rob, Really appreciate that....

RPM
07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
No problem!

Perlmudder
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM
dammmn!

Warlock28SXT
07-28-2009, 02:47 PM
That's some crazy chit right there, glad they kept the pointy side down.

imco offshore
07-28-2009, 03:17 PM
great recovery , good wheel man

Sunsation96
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
That is some great driving something for sure to tell people about in the future.

phragle
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Dean told me after the race....I floored it, the power is what pulled us out of it. my reply... Uhmmmm..Dean, I don't think so...the drives where horizontal, I saw the props spinning... The boat is damaged, Dean, one of the nicest guys in racing and his driver almost went swimming or worse. the priceless part of the entire escapade was when Dean and Derick wre sitting in the motorhome watching the video. I heard a loud thunk, looked over and two jaws were on the floor.... Boats can be fixed, people on the other hand, despite the spin dr jokes etc.... I am very thankfull to god and everything else, that I did not have to work on a friend.

Ratickle
07-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I think Dean did the right thing. If he had chopped the throttles to try and save the engines/given up, wouldn't the boat have finished the hook and rolled? And it looks like Derek steered in perfectly as soon as the props got bite. But, I'm not anywhere close to an expert on this stuff.

Would be nice to know what you're supposed to try. But I probably would have been busy kissing my azz bye bye.....:ack2:

MarylandMark
07-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I was thinking/guessing the same thing- punch it; if not the nose would dive, grab and hook?

Ratickle
07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
I was thinking/guessing the same thing- punch it; if not the nose would dive, grab and hook?

Hopefully I never have to find out, but I sure would like to know.....

Warlock28SXT
07-28-2009, 05:48 PM

as well as turn to the right due to the way the boat is sliding?

TYPHOON
07-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Its better to be lucky than good. You guys can guess all you want on skill. That boat had no drives in the water and just happened to come back over by luck. Great video,great to have you guys ok and thats when you know you are pushing the boat to the edge or just a little over. Big thumbs up on the courage factor staying in the throttle like it never happened.
MD

MarylandMark
07-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Its better to be lucky than good. You guys can guess all you want on skill. That boat had no drives in the water and just happened to come back over by luck. Great video,great to have you guys ok and thats when you know you are pushing the boat to the edge or just a little over. Big thumbs up on the courage factor staying in the throttle like it never happened.
MD

I meant after that high side when the boat was coming back around- like 16 seconds on to the slow motion video. If he would have cut the throttles, would the bow have dug down or was all already done by then and back on track or does it all happen so fast no way to think about it; just do some thing and hope it is right? Trying to learn- not questioning.

http://vimeo.com/5800540

Sean H
07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Looks like a typical Wahoo corner.. (sorry dean):ack2::leaving:

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
MD

Yep, Can't tell what disrupted it in the first place.

Wahoo 214
07-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Looks like a typical Wahoo corner.. (sorry dean):ack2::leaving:

Come on Sean. Normally we sping all the way around! Don't know how it was savedm but I do know how it happen.

We had the lead from the 3rd lane, I told Derek to "take the pin" and he thought I meant make a hard turn. I meant close the door and move to 1st lane and was thinking wide open sweeper. So we hit the corner at about 105. After that I just nailed it and Derek kept steering.

We pulled over because Derek was soaked and we thought it was gas. We learned later it was just water from under the deck joint. The boat is now repaired and will be ready St Clair.

Ratickle
07-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Come on Sean. Normally we sping all the way around! Don't know how it was savedm but I do know how it happen.

We had the lead from the 3rd lane, I told Derek to "take the pin" and he thought I meant make a hard turn. I meant close the door and move to 1st lane and was thinking wide open sweeper. So we hit the corner at about 105. After that I just nailed it and Derek kept steering.

We pulled over because Derek was soaked and we thought it was gas. We learned later it was just water from under the deck joint. The boat is now repaired and will be ready St Clair.

Nice Dean. I'm still going with a great save as soon as it came back in to touch water.....

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Paul good thing that it wasn't you.

Ratickle
07-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Paul good thing that it wasn't you.

I had my Bat Wings, no problem.......:sifone:

You've driven everything, everywhere. Is there a correct reaction to make? Or is it just don't give up driving and hope you get water on the bottom side again....

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Ideally it doesn't get disrupted but, once it does you have to stay in it. No throttle means no steering and surrender. It is amazing it righted itself and continued. The inputs must have been correct.

glassdave
07-29-2009, 12:19 AM
she'll be ready for water testing . . . . ohhhhhh . . . . tomorrow bout 3:30-3:45 . . . . along with Bandit . . . an Gotta have somethin . . . . an the Beach Bully :D

an i was gonna stay home this week and relax on the boat :confused: wtf? lol

Ratickle
07-29-2009, 06:36 AM
she'll be ready for water testing . . . . ohhhhhh . . . . tomorrow bout 3:30-3:45 . . . . along with Bandit . . . an Gotta have somethin . . . . an the Beach Bully :D

an i was gonna stay home this week and relax on the boat :confused: wtf? lol

I see you've been a busy boy........:sifone:

Sean Stinson
07-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Laundry check.....

glassdave
07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I see you've been a busy boy........:sifone:

Have grinder will travel :D . . . . . . as an extra added bonus i am coming down with a wicked cold this morning lol. . . . . WTF? . . . . its July! . . . who gets a cold in July :confused:

Expensive Date
07-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Great driving...Great hull too

cigdaze
07-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Wow. Great video. Glad you guys are A.O.K.
:cool:

phragle
07-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Have grinder will travel :D . . . . . . as an extra added bonus i am coming down with a wicked cold this morning lol. . . . . WTF? . . . . its July! . . . who gets a cold in July :confused:

Zycam chewables.. eat them like m&m's.

Ratickle
07-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Laundry check.....

Gotta believe you've been there, done that......:ack2:

Slandrew
07-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow:confused:Good thing it stayed up right!:seeya:

phragle
07-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I watched it again today frame by frame stop action. looking closely at the beginning, it looks almost like it started to spin slightly, they got it back, then it started the rolling action... I'm not a boat physics expert by anymeans but here is what I see.

past the turn bouy, looks good

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/phragle/harrison09/wahoo1.jpg

Bow starts comming up

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/phragle/harrison09/wahoo2.jpg

Boat gets light, ass end goes out a little??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/phragle/harrison09/wahoo3.jpg

boats comes back down..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/phragle/harrison09/wahoo4.jpg

the snap roll starts...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/phragle/harrison09/wahoo5.jpg

phragle
07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
things get ugly...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/phragle/harrison09/wahoo6.jpg

Wahoo 214
08-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Mark, from what I remember, when I mashed the throttles it straightened the boat out. Had I backed out it felt like it would have spun. It happens so fast you u can't think, but with no throttle you cant steer.

FunHome
08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Awesome video!! Call it luck if you must, I call it a good save!

That is excatly why I want a canopied boat!! If they would have been in a open boat someone would have gone swimming....

MattBMiller
08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Wow....that looked like quite a ride!

Ratickle
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Awesome video!! Call it luck if you must, I call it a good save!

That is excatly why I want a canopied boat!! If they would have been in a open boat someone would have gone swimming....

Yep.......

phragle
08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
not to mention just a little water up the nose.... :ack2:

DAREDEVIL
08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Dean,,,,not trying to be a smarta$$,,,but keep the nose up and it will never happen again.

Other then that ,,,cool recovery.
Stay Safe.

Ratickle
08-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Dean,,,,not trying to be a smarta$$,,,but keep the nose up and it will never happen again.

Other then that ,,,cool recovery.
Stay Safe.

Gotta tell you, was working on the Batboat to run in SVL in the third heat. as soon as we knew we could get it done, was running over to watch Dean and Derek in race two. Sweet run, finished second to Smitty in Wazzup, only once I saw a wiggle in the South turn , which has a weird transition from downstream flow to upstream. The boat tries to hook about two-thirds of the way through......

They really ran well.....:26: :26: :26: