PDA

View Full Version : The replacement begins !!!!!

OBNOXUS
07-27-2009, 06:29 AM
As some may know, a few weeks ago, a drunk coming out of RT 66 speedway blew a stop sign coming out of the track while I was on the way home with the Outlaw.

I had a 1999 2500 Silverado that,,,, lets just say,,,,, I was a bit more then attached to !!!!

Well, crushing a truck between a Chevy Avalanche and a 36 Outlaw was more then it could take and was totaled,,,,, it is still sitting in my garage as I am having a hard time letting go of something I took such good care of for the last 10 years. Put it this way,,,, I missed the groups trip last year to South Haven because it was supposed to rain on the way there , and used the wifes Trailblazer to tow the snowmobiles because the truck had never seen snow!!!!!

ANYWAY,,,,, I'd like to introduce you to its replacement !!!!!

Its used,,,,so I will not be nearly as anal as I was about the old one, so I promise not to miss any trips due to weather anymore !!!!

Tony M
07-27-2009, 06:58 AM
As some may know, a few weeks ago, a drunk coming out of RT 66 speedway blew a stop sign coming out of the track while I was on the way home with the Outlaw.

I had a 1999 2500 Silverado that,,,, lets just say,,,,, I was a bit more then attached to !!!!

Well, crushing a truck between a Chevy Avalanche and a 36 Outlaw was more then it could take and was totaled,,,,, it is still sitting in my garage as I am having a hard time letting go of something I took such good care of for the last 10 years. Put it this way,,,, I missed the groups trip last year to South Haven because it was supposed to rain on the way there , and used the wifes Trailblazer to tow the snowmobiles because the truck had never seen snow!!!!!

ANYWAY,,,,, I'd like to introduce you to its replacement !!!!!

Its used,,,,so I will not be nearly as anal as I was about the old one, so I promise not to miss any trips due to weather anymore !!!! Big Trucking D Looks Like A Nice Ride , But I though you where a "F O R D GUY"! :ack2:Very many Happy miles D Congrad's :sifone:

redhotsommer
07-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Awesome Den! Congrats! What motor?

Magic Medicine
07-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Awesome Den! Congrats! What motor?

Looks like it says Duramax above the 3500 emblem or I hope it does!

rchevelle71
07-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Nice,

I understand the attachment, My tow vehicle is an '01 Z-71 that I cant seem to part with, just put $600 in the A/C, replaced the battery, washed and waxed it, and I only use it to go to the ramp and back. My wife thinks I am crazy for being so anal about it, but I take care of her new car the same way, and convince her I am not nuts by telling her that her GT will look just as good when its 8 years old.:sifone:

Magic Medicine
07-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Oh yeah nice truck Den!!!!! If that is infact a diesel you won't miss towing with your other truck one bit!!!!!

OBNOXUS
07-27-2009, 07:29 AM
It just sucks to lose the truck like that,,,, 10 years old,,,only 45k miles on it !!!!

How pampered was my truck you ask.

It still has the factory windshild wipers blades on it !!!!!

OBNOXUS
07-27-2009, 07:35 AM
No,,, no Duramax,,,,, I went round and round about this.

Did alot of research,,, and opted to go with the 8.1 bigblock 5 speed Allison and 4:10 gears.

It just made sence for me personally.

I wouldnt own a new diesel without a warranty these days, and I dont use the truck enough to justify the big dollar extended warranty.

This motor is supposed to be a monster,,,,, also way detuned.

I will send the ECU out on this one like I did on my old truck

I only had the South Haven trip on the new program before the crash,,,,, but I got over 9 mph towing the boat on that trip !!!

This one should do even better after the reprogram.,,,,, If I can get around 10 mph towing at 65 mph,,,, im fine with that.

OBNOXUS
07-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Big Trucking D Looks Like A Nice Ride , But I though you where a "F O R D GUY"! :ack2:Very many Happy miles D Congrad's :sifone:

I looked,,,, but I couldnt bring myself to do it !!!!!!

I'm not 100% thrilled with the nose on this generation Chevy,,, I cant put my finger on it,,,, but I think the headlight assy needs to come further around the corner.

There is to much fender between the wheel well and the corner light.

The GMC did it a lil better ,,,, but I got a smokin deal on this truck !!! :26::sifone:

Chi-Town Hustler
07-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Nice truck. I think Wesco has the same truck and color except diesel. Maybe I should call him to see if it is missing. That could explain the smokin deal. LOL!!!:26:

Hammer01
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Did alot of research,,, and opted to go with the 8.1 bigblock 5 speed Allison and 4:10 gears.

I wouldnt own a new diesel without a warranty these days, and I dont use the truck enough to justify the big dollar extended warranty.

I only had the South Haven trip on the new program before the crash,,,,, but I got over 9 mph towing the boat on that trip !!!

This one should do even better after the reprogram.,,,,, If I can get around 10 mph towing at 65 mph,,,, im fine with that.

Ok everyone, let the laughing begin hahahahahaah!!!!! I can't wait to see you tow at 65 MPH, that would be a first!!!! I just am glad that you were watching a DVD, eating a cheeseburger, reading the newspaper, and having a Mountain Dew and only driving 45 when you totaled old faithful because you would normally have been pushing 70 mph and would have landed that Avalanche in Wisconsin if you were!!! Congrats on new truck, is it at home yet???

Magic Medicine
07-27-2009, 11:17 AM

Keep your eye on the oil level I have seen them eat 4 quarts in 3K miles! I think chevy let alot of the table with this engine so hopefully the ecu reprogam will help. You are right about working on diesels with no waranty it gets expensive!

MILD THUNDER
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I sometimes wish i had the V10 gasser in my truck. My 6.0 isnt that good on gas, loud, and hates head gaskets. Warranty expiring soon, scary. Might sell it and get a old late 70's chevy dually crew cab with a TH400 and a gear venders gear splitter with a 4.56 rear end. Its all in the gears........

In the big rigs, I'll take a 350HP cat with a 18spd over a 430HP with a 8spd for heavy loads!

OBNOXUS
07-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I know they pull the best,,,, but weighing pros and cons,,,,,, just didnt make sence for me.

I was happy with the 6.0,,,,,, should be estatic with the 8.1

insanity
07-27-2009, 11:06 PM
The 496's in those trucks pull like a beast. Maybe not diesel strong, but pretty damn close. They are thirsty tho, at least in stock form.

Hammer01
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM
I mentioned to Dennis already that our boys at Berger's Marina in the Ozarks race dirt track cars and pull an enclosed heavy car hauler race trailer. They get new trucks every year or every 2 at very least. They have a Duramax and an 8.1 gas and they use the 8.1 to pull the trailer. Let me also add though that they like to haul that trailer at in excess of 75 mph so they said the duramax is too flat at that point. Anyway, pretty good summation. I loved all my duramaxes for towing my 11k pound boat and I towed it a few times with the 6.0 gas and it succccckkkkkkeeeeedddddd!!!!

OBNOXUS
07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Should be night and day for me !!!!!

BGIII
07-28-2009, 09:00 PM
If you get 10 towing, please post who did the computer work as I will send mine to that person. I am around 6-7.

OBNOXUS
07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Blackbear performance out of Fredricksburg VA

He did my 6.0,,,,, got 9+ on the way to SouthHaven at 65 mph

Im sending the new one out right away,,,, Ill keep ya posted

OBNOXUS
07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
UPDATE::::: Just got off the phone with the Mrs,,,,,,. road test went well.

She said the truck is very clean, and drives great,,,, smooth and quiet.

They just did the front brakes due to a pulsation,,,, she said the truck still had a small pulse,,, but could not feel it in the steering wheel,,,, so I got them to knock of a few hundo for rear brakes when it gets home !!!!!

So the deal is done and she is in route back West !!!!!

She has some good practice seat time in BZ's dually,,,, so it should make it back with the hips intact !!!!!

Magic Medicine
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
UPDATE::::: Just got off the phone with the Mrs,,,,,,. road test went well.

She said the truck is very clean, and drives great,,,, smooth and quiet.

They just did the front brakes due to a pulsation,,,, she said the truck still had a small pulse,,, but could not feel it in the steering wheel,,,, so I got them to knock of a few hundo for rear brakes when it gets home !!!!!

So the deal is done and she is in route back West !!!!!

She has some good practice seat time in BZ's dually,,,, so it should make it back with the hips intact !!!!!

Good deal. Tell I said to have a safe trip home!

OBNOXUS
07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
will do,,,, Thanks !!!!!

Tony M
07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
will do,,,, Thanks !!!!! How Long For The Big Boat To Be In The Water Now !:driving: :huh:

OBNOXUS
07-29-2009, 11:28 PM

StraightJacket
07-30-2009, 03:00 AM

I'm not even going to touch that one

Magic Medicine
07-30-2009, 08:36 AM

I'm not even going to touch that one

:rofl::rofl:

Magic Medicine
07-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Ok so how far did Mom make it yesterday? Driving in the Northeast in the summertime has to be beautiful!

OBNOXUS
07-30-2009, 09:03 AM
She stopped in Pennsylvania somewhere,,,,, said it got foggy after the rain in the mountains

Tony M
07-30-2009, 09:17 AM
2010 GOOD !:ack2::ack2::( :sifone:

Magic Medicine
07-30-2009, 09:21 AM
She stopped in Pennsylvania somewhere,,,,, said it got foggy after the rain in the mountains

Well most of the scenic driving is out of the way. Make sure to tell her to watch her speed in Ohio, they are as bad or worse than Wisconsin

Back4More
07-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Glad to hear the old truck returned the favor and kept you safe, Congrats on the new hauler.