PDA

View Full Version : Free

TYPHOON
07-26-2009, 06:05 PM
I read on OSO that there some fans that were told it was going to cost $10 per adult to enter the pits or VIP area on race day. They said they left and didn't want to pay. They were told the race was free to watch from certain areas but they were disappointed.
I have never gone to a car race or any other motor sport race were it was free to watch and normally a premium for the pit area. Why do people think it should be free for everything we do in offshore. Is it not good enough that there is always places to watch for free. Maybe not the VIP section. Some how the race producers needs to generate some money to put a race on. You have to pay $10 each to go to the movies. Maybe I am way off on this but I think the free show needs to stop. We have entertainment value and I don't think $10 each is over the top. When was the last time you went to a ball game or concert. Our purse could be larger and a shot at recovering our gas money would be nice.
The problem with free is it show no value.
MD

Fast Shafts
07-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Agree!

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I agree too.

Bobcat
07-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I agree 10 bucks is cheap

Buoy
07-26-2009, 07:21 PM
I've never had a problem dropping $10 to get into the dry pits.
Once I was in, I've usually been offered food or drink from the racers/crews that was worth more than the $10, or given a free T-shirt, or some other promotional item.
A lot of these teams put on a "show" in the dry pits.
Cost of admission is less than a fast food meal for two.

Now, It pizzed me off paying $30 to park my rental car at the Miami boat show last year, and then having to walk over a mile to get there. But that's just a personal b!tch from me.

DAREDEVIL
07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I agree also with u ,,altough it was said its free admission for all the events in Harrison.

I read it myself. So that beeing said, i can understand why people are pi$$ed.

PS.: all the SBI events are free exept KW.

MarylandMark
07-26-2009, 07:32 PM
What offshore is missing is the other sports have a closed venue- only way to see it is to buy a ticket.

Kind of like a cover charge at a bar. Charge me money to spend more money? 99% of the time I pass and where I can get in free will be rewarded at least 10 fold by what I drop in there. Getting in free results in me paying to advertise for you (by wearing a shirt I buy, drinking out of koozie with your name on it, etc).

Call me cheap- believe it or not I've been called worse.

How many shirt sales did the RACE TEAMS lose because the PROMOTER wanted an extra $10? Was it worth it?

ps- If I had a race team I'd say I'd say I'd give you $10 credit towards my $25 t-shirts and turn it in to a "positive". Most can't stand to "lose" that $10 credit even if shirts from other vendors are only $15 to start with- human nature says we want a deal.

Sydwayz
07-26-2009, 07:52 PM
It keeps the rif-raff out.

boatme
07-26-2009, 08:00 PM
What offshore is missing is the other sports have a closed venue- only way to see it is to buy a ticket.

First off i greed no one should have a problem paying $10 or even $20 it is cheap at best. It is such a small amount to raise some money

As far as closed venue that has nothing to do with it.

I have written much about this over the years. but to adress the closed venue comment, just look at the Tour De France, Iditerod, Dakar Race. All have VIP seating area but most of race is seen for free along the course

Boat racing in MY OPINION should be an event not just a race and that isnt going to hapen any time soon.

St Clair and Key West have the right idea but boat racing needs to be an event every town they roll into

Getting off my short soap box now LOL :USA:

MarylandMark
07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Your right- obviously what they are doing is working?

The customer has spoken and seems enough aren't willing to pay it or we wouldn't even have a thread like this. Nevermind getting the riff raff interested in racing vs those that already are.

If all they want is who they got going in now they should make it $20- still cheap and can double their income over night!

imco offshore
07-26-2009, 08:20 PM
randy your absoulty right , everybody ownes a car, but will pay 40 to 700, dollars to watch a nascar race yes 700 dollars in <vip> imagine that ,,, a baseball game 40 to 110 dollars , football the same, local stock car tracks, 25 dollars o you want to go in the pits thats an extra 20 bucks, so when a promoter ask fo 10 dollars and your in a protected area <vip> and getting an outstanding view , someone CRYS give me a break! they will pay 45 dollars to walk thru the pits at a stock car track , to look at some 1000 dollar beat up old monti carlos, their ok with that. the people that complain are the same ones that count the pickels in their vlassic jars, even tho the pickels were BIGGER there wern,t the same amount.or go out to eat ,,,,eat 3/4 of the meal then complain this isn,t what i ordered,,,,, they love to look at the million dollar boats, and as their walking away have something smug to say about the owner to their wifes. randy bottom line,,,, look at where and how they live, and youll relaize they are complaining about their own short commings and their lack of success in LIFE, I COULD GO ON AND ON ,but i,ll stop myself. :cuss:

MarylandMark
07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
look at where and how they live, and youll relaize they are complaining about their own shout commings and their lack of success in LIFE,

Yep- including me who lived in a trailer. Oh the horror...

Let's just make a deal- Keep paying to race vs getting paid to race (maybe not "you" but a lot do) and I'll keep my $10.

imco offshore
07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
mark i,m just saying 10 doesn,t even pay for our SAFETY PEOPLE , as for getting paid that won,t ever happen in a hobby, like this, ask geico HOW MUCH they made in racing and the world loves them guys, they even have a great sponsor and i.ll bet they spent big money, it,s a hobby to racers and entertainment to the fans they < i think> should be willing to pay a little,

Trim'd Up
07-26-2009, 09:15 PM
It seems to me $10 is a hell of a deal. Hell, it cost that to get into the chitty boat show here in St. Louis to look at a bunch of freakin' pontoon boats.

Buoy
07-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I look at the simple fact that if I leave my house to go anywhere, I expect it to cost me at least $100.
Going to the grocery store, hardware store, auto/marine store, the gas station.
It's gonna be $100 by the time it's said and done.

$10 bucks to get in to the event - no problem.
Miami Boat show and $30-$100 to park the rental...
That's where I start having a problem.

Pete B
07-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Producer should be looking at ways to charge and still keep people intrested, look at the worlds, some one has their hand in the till for everything.

Having a VIP area that really offers something make sense as well, IE the Southern Nationals in Augusta,GA have a park and both ends a blocked off, admission is $20 for $50, you can watch from the bar porch over looking the course, which is great if you arrive early. But giving spectators a chance to be close to the action is the Key.

scottc
07-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Nothing in life anymore is free. A small fee to see the pits should be expected. AND CHARGED. Most sites want to charge vendors to sell their goods to people. And most vendors don't mind the fees. Even going to a state park will cost you. I did some volunteer work this past June and had to pay to use a ramp to launch my boat to be part of the safety fleet. Not a big deal. Most of the teams try to offset their expenses by selling their goodies. And some teams were asked for money to sell their stuff by the venue (in which I feel was so very wrong) So why not have a small fee to get to see the good stuff. If you can't afford a small amount then go home and find something else to do.

TYPHOON
07-27-2009, 10:02 AM
The goal is not to have the fan feel abused but relize this is how we raise money to have the show come to town. I would think $15-20 per adult and kids $5-7 is more than fair to walk the pits for a weekend. We have to help raise money for the promoters. How many people are on average in the pits? 200-1000 maybe.
MD

MarylandMark
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Keep thinking the people not paying $10 to get in the pits is about the $10 and you will keep not getting their $10.

This is from the same guy (me) that ponies up $250 just to rent a 4 person table to run a $600 bar tab and $200 food tab (plus 25%+ tip) while watching the races; each day.

$10 to get in the pits- not a chance....

I'll even toss this out there. How about $10 to get in and another $10 for all you can drink Bud Light? How many people do you think you would get?

Answer- one team did that last year and I saw 16 people there with about 9 of them part of the crew. In their defense there was a last minute scheduling change, weather was not the best/overcast/humid and the FPC party was way over on Stock Island an hour later but still...

ps- that is far from a bash at that team. Intentions were GREAT with the $10 going to an even better cause (racers families that have perished).

DAREDEVIL
07-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I think u are all loosing the point !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason why these people where pi$$ed ,,is because it was advertised as FREE to all events.

And then u go there on a low budget family with 5 kids and 3 adults and they tell u after u already put your last 20 bucks in the car to get there,,,u need to pay 10 bucks each !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be pi$$ed to !!!!!!!!!

If it would be advertised that it would cost 10 bucks then this conversation would not be here.

Just my 2 c.

DAREDEVIL
07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Nothing in life anymore is free. If you can't afford a small amount then go home and find something else to do.

If that is how u tread potential fans ,,,,wow !!!

MarylandMark
07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I have so many post on this thread it is like my personal blog so I wanted to toss out that I am not "bitter" by any means. I'm just a lowly fan trying to help make the fan experience better.

I'll even toss out another one of my ideas- on the house, no charge...

Instead of turning away one of the most identifiable poker run boats there has ever been (Benz MTI) from even being able to turn thier vehicle around; how about offering them FREE storage and security for keeping their boat there? Could evn add in things like use of the crane, race fuel truck there for them, detailing services, etc to make a few bucks off them as well.

How many boats run the poker run again? Imagine them all parked there? Sounds like you would have to hire more door people to keep the lines down to get in the pits to me.. (ok so they ran the poker run so I'm not sure if their trailers would be there or not but still...).

Davidmnc
07-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't think $10 is too much to ask, but I also agree see where Mark is coming from. When you go to a Nascar race the vendor area is open to the public and free, but the VIP seating is very expensive. I say let the fans get in the dry pits at no cost, but make the VIP viewing area cost a few bucks. But it needs to be advertised this way. Don't let that guy with his family and a very small budget bring his family to the races and disappoint his kids by surprising them with an admission charge. Let him walk threw the pits with the fam and check out all the sights for free. But if he wants the best seat in the house for the race, that should cost a couple bucks. If he can't handle a few bucks he can hang out at one of the other viewing areas for no charge. The idea is to grow the sport. Audience grows the sport. You never know. Next year that same guy may budget for the VIP seats and tee shirts for the kids, and bring his buddies too. IMHO

2TR
07-27-2009, 11:27 AM
I read on OSO that there some fans that were told it was going to cost $10 per adult to enter the pits or VIP area on race day. They said they left and didn't want to pay. They were told the race was free to watch from certain areas but they were disappointed.
I have never gone to a car race or any other motor sport race were it was free to watch and normally a premium for the pit area. Why do people think it should be free for everything we do in offshore. Is it not good enough that there is always places to watch for free. Maybe not the VIP section. Some how the race producers needs to generate some money to put a race on. You have to pay $10 each to go to the movies. Maybe I am way off on this but I think the free show needs to stop. We have entertainment value and I don't think $10 each is over the top. When was the last time you went to a ball game or concert. Our purse could be larger and a shot at recovering our gas money would be nice.
MD

Thanks for believing in offshore and having something worth paying for Randy. But I must say, It was advertised as Free but things were changed during the last days that moved the dry and wet pit area into a private marina and this is were the problem started.

You could watch the race from many great locations and bars along the lake, but if you wished to enter Beacons Cove there was a charge. But Karen at Beacons did a wonderful job making it worth your $$$. She had a DJ Playing all day, live band at night, Catered food, beer tents, golf carts to shuttle you to and from, clean bathrooms and showers if needed and of course all access to the pit area.

I do apologize to all the people for the confusion.

2TR
07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
And I must thank Karen and Beacons Cove for everything they did. She provided a large secure pit area with easy access to the ramps and lift even at the expense of closing down her own rack storage facility for 5 hrs Sunday and only allowing the race teams access to the ramps/lift.

DAREDEVIL
07-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for believing in offshore and having something worth paying for Randy. But I must say, It was advertised as Free but things were changed during the last days that moved the dry and wet pit area into a private marina and this is were the problem started.

You could watch the race from many great locations and bars along the lake, but if you wished to enter Beacons Cove there was a charge. But Karen at Beacons did a wonderful job making it worth your $$$. She had a DJ Playing all day, live band at night, Catered food, beer tents, golf carts to shuttle you to and from, clean bathrooms and showers if needed and of course all access to the pit area.

I do apologize to all the people for the confusion.

Thanks Rick for clearing this up,,,,and u did a great job. Good luck to u and i C-YA !!!!:seeya:

Lee
07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
MD

Randy,
It was Saturday not Sunday (raceday) which would of been totally acceptable.

TYPHOON
07-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Mark, I am disappointed in you feeling that a $10 fee to help the race teams is out of line. For someone to spend $600 on beer and $200 on food and a 25% tip is outstanding for some bar or rest. That's a $1000 per day to watch something you like. Why is $10 out of the question? you just spent $200 on a tip. And is the bar you spent a sponsor of the race that is paying the promoter? Its all about helping each other.
I agree its a shame it was announced it was for free but it sounded like a great deal to me.
I'm not sure where you are going with the MTI boat scenario.
MD

Offshoredrillin
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Mark, I am disappointed in you feeling that a $10 fee to help the race teams is out of line. For someone to spend $600 on beer and $200 on food and a 25% tip is outstanding for some bar or rest. That's a $1000 per day to watch something you like. Why is $10 out of the question? you just spent $200 on a tip. And is the bar you spent a sponsor of the race that is paying the promoter? Its all about helping each other.
I agree its a shame it was announced it was for free but it sounded like a great deal to me.
I'm not sure where you are going with the MTI boat scenario.
MD
I think what is missing in the translation is this. from a business standpoint, what is the customer/fan getting for that 10 bucks? using both Pete and Marks theory, is more should be offered than to just stroll around the dry pits.
As mark suggested, having a paid ticket stub offers the fan/ customer to give that to a racer for a discounted shirt, or as pete said, have an area that a person gets a better view, with a possible upgrade. It seems that it was "10 bucks or get out" mentality.
In the scenario where a ticket stub or paid wrist band gets 10% off of souvenirs that puts the fan in the mood to buy more and spend money with the vendors and race teams. Even if the person doesnt buy anything, they still have perceived value, and you have their 10 dollars in your pocket.

you will always catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

(the mti thing was a slam on carbonell, doesn't need to be brought up)

MarylandMark
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM

I apologize- I was not pointing fingers at this particular venue; referencing charging for the pits in general and as a whole. The MTI was the Key West issue- again speaking in general and not this particular venue. I guess that kind of brings up another whole ball of wax- if a guy that spends a few years on boating boards groups all races and race orgs and race sites together what do you think the average Joe is doing/thinking? Fair- no since some put on a better show than others. Is perception, reality- hell ya.

I guess I am looking at it from the stand point was as a whole is everyone involved better off getting that $10 at the gate vs letting the public in for free and then they are interested and come back with their family/buddies next time and buy shirts and beers and so on? VIP area $10? Without a doubt. Just getting in for $10? Apparently not so much. I guess I just think iin the long run you would make that $10 at gate 100 times over.

Example-
Bar 1 charges $10 to get in and has 150 people drinking $5 beers.
Bar 2 has no cover, 400 people buying $5 beers

Which owner has the Bayliner and which has the Top Gun?

She had a DJ Playing all day, live band at night, Catered food, beer tents, golf carts to shuttle you to and from, clean bathrooms and showers if needed and of course all access to the pit area.

I'd pay $10 for that. Walking around a dusty parking lot with people pawning $7 hot dogs and $8 beers and a few potta pottys; not so much. Generalizations aren't fair but it is what it is.

Side note- if I didn't give a crap I wouldn't spend this much time giving my debatable 2 cents. I could have kept my mouth shut vs jumping in the frying pan but that gets you the same show you have and maybe that is good enough for some; I still think it needs much improvement.

pss- I want you to make $1M/year boat racing. If/when you do imagine the show you would be putting on for me to see!!!!!

Ratickle
07-27-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll get into this later, I just got home, the venue here was incredible. This race has the best viewing, assistance for the racers, etc of anywhere I've been. One boat split a hull on Sat, fixed and raced on Sun from the help of the shop right there.

Clean bathrooms, catered food to buy, beer tents, full time chauffered golf carts to haul you around, beautiful patio to watch from on the point where you could see the entire course, showers, nice personel, safety/firemen/police you name it.

Maybe Smitty can comment if he gets a chance.

I paid $75 per ticket at Key West for pit pass. They didn't haul me around like these guys and the viewing was better here. Plus, I raced here.....:03:

scottc
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I would think very few people would cry at a $10 pit pass. It's just how you sell it. In KW they hit you real hard and people pay to get in, in Cambridge at the Hyatt, they charge a buck or two to walkout on the bird $&it covered floating dock to watch the race. At St. Clair the whole street was free but had every type of vendor there selling their goods. If you have the vendors paying then maybe you don't need the people to pay. Most sites are hurting to get the money just to pull off the event. Charging to get in to the pits I feel is a great idea, but let them watch the race for free (but charge for the VIP areas). It's a lot of work to put a venue together with very little help. Collecting a gate is just more work for someone. But the pits are easyier to control and collect.

Ratickle
07-27-2009, 05:33 PM
I would think very few people would cry at a $10 pit pass. It's just how you sell it. In KW they hit you real hard and people pay to get in, in Cambridge at the Hyatt, they charge a buck or two to walkout on the bird $&it covered floating dock to watch the race. At St. Clair the whole street was free but had every type of vendor there selling their goods. If you have the vendors paying then maybe you don't need the people to pay. Most sites are hurting to get the money just to pull off the event. Charging to get in to the pits I feel is a great idea, but let them watch the race for free (but charge for the VIP areas). It's a lot of work to put a venue together with very little help. Collecting a gate is just more work for someone. But the pits are easyier to control and collect.

The main issue sounds like the change from advertising. Shouldn't ever happen again....

It is an awesome site for a race......

DAREDEVIL
07-27-2009, 05:47 PM
The main issue sounds like the change from advertising. Shouldn't ever happen again....

It is an awesome site for a race......

WE HAVE A WINNER,,,thats what it was about !!
Nothing more !!!!!!!:driving:

TCEd
07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
The goal is not to have the fan feel abused but relize this is how we raise money to have the show come to town. I would think $15-20 per adult and kids $5-7 is more than fair to walk the pits for a weekend. We have to help raise money for the promoters. How many people are on average in the pits? 200-1000 maybe.
MD

I'm sorry but suggesting to charge for kids entry is wrong.
ed

Wahoo 214
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Ok. Viewing was free everywhere expect Beacon Cove. This is the prime viewing and had all of the amenities Ratickle mentioned. NO KIDS WERE CHARGED not even 16 year olds. Access on foot to the Pit area was free access to the pier is a private area that non members were charge $10 to access. That is where you had food, beer, a pool, Supercat Racing, and the best viewing anywhere. If you can't spend $10 for that, sit in your boat and watch it free or go to Metro Beach and watch it or Gino's Surf. Those are free.

It think way too many think that everything should be free, but last I check I was still writing checks for all those amenities I just listed and then some.

For those that think it should be free, who should pay for it?

Offshoredrillin
07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Ok. Viewing was free everywhere expect Beacon Cove. This is the prime viewing and had all of the amenities Ratickle mentioned. NO KIDS WERE CHARGED not even 16 year olds. Access on foot to the Pit area was free access to the pier is a private area that non members were charge $10 to access. That is where you had food, beer, a pool, Supercat Racing, and the best viewing anywhere. If you can't spend $10 for that, sit in your boat and watch it free or go to Metro Beach and watch it or Gino's Surf. Those are free.

It think way too many think that everything should be free, but last I check I was still writing checks for all those amenities I just listed and then some.

For those that think it should be free, who should pay for it?
Agreed, I don't think it should be free, I just think in the presentation might be altered.
look at what I had posted on perceived value, that's where you will make the 10 dollars and even more if it is packaged correctly. give the fans a chance to take either A or B, not take it or leave it. A and B being two paid options.
Just like Mr Hartunian said to Steve martin in "the Jerk" "Navin, you just made 30 dollars on 60 cents worth of crap, you're doing fine. "

Maybe what racing in general needs is not the action to change, but the atmosphere on land to be different? Humpy Wheeler does it at lowes motor speedway, three is always something to hold everyone's attention.

mikey
07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
And I must thank Karen and Beacons Cove for everything they did. She provided a large secure pit area with easy access to the ramps and lift even at the expense of closing down her own rack storage facility for 5 hrs Sunday and only allowing the race teams access to the ramps/lift.

Hats off to Karen and her staff they wer awesome with everything that we needed all weekend.

Beacon Cove is a great marina and one of the best places to have a race because everything was right there.

I understand that people thought the event was free and were upset when they found it was not but there will still a lot of people there watching the race so it could not have been that bad.

palmtree1
07-27-2009, 08:17 PM
as a fan who has already traveled several miles this year to be at offshore racing events, $10 is a steal! I have had the privilege of meeting many members of race teams and made some awesome new friends in the sport. Heck, even my 6 yr old son got to meet his favorite driver, MADDOG...he loves the typhoon boat. Been to the stock car stuff, done other motosports events....would drive anywhere for offshore powerboat racing. my 2 cents.

Ratickle
07-27-2009, 08:37 PM

As the facility is laid out, I'm not sure how you would do that there. As I said, $10 for what was provided seemed like a good deal to me. I even gave away some free autographs.....:sifone:

Phantom1
07-27-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm betting that it wasn't the $10 charge that made people mad - it was the principle of the false advertising. The "event attendees", most of whom are not necessarily offshore fans, felt misled.

Don't ever advertise "free" if it isn't going to be "free".

It's a simple law of smart business........ :)

Ratickle
07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm betting that it wasn't the $10 charge that made people mad - it was the principle of the false advertising. The "event attendees", most of whom are not necessarily offshore fans, felt misled.

Don't ever advertise "free" if it isn't going to be "free".

It's a simple law of smart business........ :)

Yep, I'm sure if we'd have heard about it there, we could have done something. Dean, Rick, and the entire marina group did everything possible to help all that was possible.

You would not have believed some of the calls they handled instead of testing and tweaking their boat. I was proud to hang with the entire OPA organization.