PDA

View Full Version : Tab Placement

Dude! Sweet!
07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
What are the pros and cons to running tabs parallel with the bottom of the boat vs parallel with the water surface (for lack of a better descrption). Why one vs the other. What are benefits?

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-20-2009, 03:20 PM
That is like asking what is better a blonde or brunette? Everybody will give you a different answer. I will ask any other question before I give an answer. Are you using them to aid in chine walking or can you balance the boat and need them only to control attitude?

Speed and size of boat will play a part in different preferences too.

Dude! Sweet!
07-20-2009, 04:32 PM
That is like asking what is better a blonde or brunette? Everybody will give you a different answer. I will ask any other question before I give an answer. Are you using them to aid in chine walking or can you balance the boat and need them only to control attitude?

Speed and size of boat will play a part in different preferences too.

So I should put both on the boat?! :sifone:

It will be on a 6000# 28 Pantera. Single BBC power with a bravo. Shooting for speeds in the low to mid 80s. I assume that since I've never seen a Pantera with "flat tabs" that they probably work better with the tradional mounting, but just curious, you know...

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I would think tradition mounting would work well. I personally like half the deadrise {split the difference} on boats that go fast enough to run outer surface dry at speed. Not sure on yours I have no personal experience with one but, I would expect it will ride pretty high at 80. A pad bottom will typically ride higher and appreciate a little flatter. IMO

I also recommend placing them traditionally wide. So you can adjust them to run down a little but, still clean. Then when a swell hits them they are already in position to send you straight with out them dragging all the time.

Dude! Sweet!
07-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I would think tradition mounting would work well. I personally like half the deadrise {split the difference} on boats that go fast enough to run outer surface dry at speed. Not sure on yours I have no personal experience with one but, I would expect it will ride pretty high at 80. A pad bottom will typically ride higher and appreciate a little flatter. IMO

I also recommend placing them traditionally wide. So you can adjust them to run down a little but, still clean. Then when a swell hits them they are already in position to send you straight with out them dragging all the time.

Right on Jim. Thanks. My pleasure 28 ran pretty wet, so sounds like the traditional width makes sense. :USA: