PDA

View Full Version : Carnage Continues,Tear down Complete

SCARAB3DMC
07-18-2009, 05:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So,I did not wait for my Rebuilder to send a guy,Long story, I pulled the starboard head (leaking one) first, All the head bolts inside the valve cover torqued tight, the exterior eight bolts very loose compaired to the internals, Pulled the port head ..ALL BOLTS INTERNAL AND EXTERIOR TORQUED EQUALLY? HEAD gaskets are FEL-PRO MARINE HI -Performance!, [i]Do ya think he just missed torquing the outer bolts?? I noticed on these gaskets that the upper water passages from the block are only a 1/4 " hole, this blocks the water passage 90% ?? Engine is a GEN VI, 502/540 Are these the correct head gaskets ????? I cleaned all the snots out of the cylinders and spun the motor by hand, rolled over smooth and easy...Pics attached..thanks Dave..I need volunteers to help re-assemble and set the Vaves..aaa ..Tim..SKramer !!
Attached Thumbnails

Chris
07-18-2009, 05:53 PM
I've never seen a whole row of head bolts loosen up.

The FelPro gaskets require a retorque after bringing the engine up to operating temperature. If you don't they'll most likely leak. They put the little instruction slip in every head gasket package. But for used gasket surfaces they seal about the best.

SCARAB3DMC
07-19-2009, 07:37 AM
I've never seen a whole row of head bolts loosen up.

The FelPro gaskets require a retorque after bringing the engine up to operating temperature. If you don't they'll most likely leak. They put the little instruction slip in every head gasket package. But for used gasket surfaces they seal about the best.

What I am saying is that they were never torqued on assembly..missed them I think

Ratickle
07-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Sounds like the reasonable conclusion.

When you say loose, like you could have removed them with a regular length 3/8 drive socket wrench?

And if so, the entire head would not have been torqued because of the torque sequence they would have followed.

Chris
07-19-2009, 11:05 AM
What I am saying is that they were never torqued on assembly..missed them I think

I agree. No way those would have come loose.

I was adding that the FelPro requires retorque ALSO.

SCARAB3DMC
07-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Sounds like the reasonable conclusion.

When you say loose, like you could have removed them with a regular length 3/8 drive socket wrench?

And if so, the entire head would not have been torqued because of the torque sequence they would have followed.

Yes easly removed with a 3/8 ratchet. now the other side NO.

PatriYacht
07-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I have never retorqued Fel Pro head gaskets and I have put a lot of them on. I torque to just over 80lbs because I know I'm not going back. Never had one loosen up. I have taken head bolts out with a 3/8 ratchet and a deep socket. Couldn't find the 1/2 deep socket that fit and I was in a hurry. It took a big hammer and the socket broke near the end of the job. If any headbolts were that loose, they were not torqued right in the first place.

Geronimo36
07-20-2009, 01:31 PM
I have never retorqued Fel Pro head gaskets and I have put a lot of them on. I torque to just over 80lbs because I know I'm not going back. Never had one loosen up. I have taken head bolts out with a 3/8 ratchet and a deep socket. Couldn't find the 1/2 deep socket that fit and I was in a hurry. It took a big hammer and the socket broke near the end of the job. If any headbolts were that loose, they were not torqued right in the first place.

PatriYacht, you know we're going to get slayed for admitting it but I do the same thing most of the time... I usually go with 78 ft. lbs, they call for 75 and I do it in 3 steps.

Scarab, what head gasket number is that? Should be a 17207 I believe for Gen VI.

SCARAB3DMC
07-21-2009, 07:28 AM
PatriYacht, you know we're going to get slayed for admitting it but I do the same thing most of the time... I usually go with 78 ft. lbs, they call for 75 and I do it in 3 steps.

Scarab, what head gasket number is that? Should be a 17207 I believe for Gen VI.

Fel pro # 17048 Hi-performance Marine 502/540 genVI

BajaIceBreaker
07-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Wow Dave. Sorry to hear that. That's a huge mistake if he forgot to torque the head bolts. In fact, I can't think of a bigger blunder. Can you say "Engine Building 101". Have you talked to the builder?

Trim'd Up
07-21-2009, 09:17 AM
I have ran them without a retorque without problems, but I usually do. I think felpro says for "racing applications" they need re torqued. Hell, I was helping a buddy put his mill together and he already had the heads sitting on the block when I got there and the bolts finger tight. We proceeded to torque them down and right after we got finished I looked over and seen the head dowels sitting on the bench. Anyway, we pulled the heads back off and re-used the same gaskets but torqued them to 78 ft/lbs. The engine is still running fine with around 300 hours with no re torque.

PatriYacht
07-21-2009, 10:34 AM

I'll be ok. It don't hurt that much. :sifone:

ROGUE
07-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Right or wrong, Ive never retorqued either. In my own disturbed mind I didnt think it was a good idea to move the head bolts that have sealer on them due to the water passages they thread into on Mark 4 blocks. I use the 17040 gasket on my Mark 4 454's. oops 17040, that right.

Geronimo36
07-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Some good info here; http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?st=0&st2=0&st3=0&CATID=23&Product_ID=3209&DID=6&chapter=7174

048 is right gasket, sorry. 207 is a set.

SCARAB3DMC
07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Wow Dave. Sorry to hear that. That's a huge mistake if he forgot to torque the head bolts. In fact, I can't think of a bigger blunder. Can you say "Engine Building 101". Have you talked to the builder?

Hey Joe, OH yeah I talked to the builder..:cuss: thats why I am doing it myself, with a little help from my friends ! thanks guys..:sifone:

YankeY
07-21-2009, 07:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So,I did not wait for my Rebuilder to send a guy,Long story, I pulled the starboard head (leaking one) first, All the head bolts inside the valve cover torqued tight, the exterior eight bolts very loose compaired to the internals, Pulled the port head ..ALL BOLTS INTERNAL AND EXTERIOR TORQUED EQUALLY? HEAD gaskets are FEL-PRO MARINE HI -Performance!, [i]Do ya think he just missed torquing the outer bolts?? I noticed on these gaskets that the upper water passages from the block are only a 1/4 " hole, this blocks the water passage 90% ?? Engine is a GEN VI, 502/540 Are these the correct head gaskets ????? I cleaned all the snots out of the cylinders and spun the motor by hand, rolled over smooth and easy...Pics attached..thanks Dave..I need volunteers to help re-assemble and set the Vaves..aaa ..Tim..SKramer !!
Attached Thumbnails

Holy crap Dave. This is not your summer.

I'm flying in Friday afternoon, and would give you a hand if I would be of any help.

MERPerformance
07-21-2009, 07:47 PM
What kind of heads?

FULL FORCE
07-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I just cannot imagine how you miss ALL the lower bolts, especially when using a sequence, I do the normal torque as called for, no more, the threads can pull out of the block and BBC are known for that, I have inserts on a few of mine, they were helicoiled before I rebuilt them, I use a product called BIG SERT, it is a better way to do it.
wish I was going to be around dave, I am leaving for the islands Thursday

SCARAB3DMC
07-22-2009, 09:17 AM
What kind of heads?

Alum. Merlin style ARP I think..

BajaIceBreaker
07-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Full Force... see you at the islands? U going to PIB? BajaCleveland and I will both be there.

FULL FORCE
07-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Full Force... see you at the islands? U going to PIB? BajaCleveland and I will both be there.

I do Kelleys, I will be there tomorrow AM till Sunday... if you stop in call me 440 476 4114 Tim

FULL FORCE
08-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Dave, you get it together yet?

SCARAB3DMC
08-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Dave, you get it together yet?

why..YES I DID!! FIRED RITE UP.. ALL LOOKS GOOD...I plan on being out this weekend !!!!:drool5::driving:

erierunnin
08-04-2009, 07:07 AM
why..YES I DID!! FIRED RITE UP.. ALL LOOKS GOOD...I plan on being out this weekend !!!!:drool5::driving:

woohoo, have fun dave!

FULL FORCE
08-04-2009, 07:39 AM

Sweet! keep me posted how things go!

SCARAB3DMC
08-04-2009, 06:11 PM
SOOOOO Who's gonna be where ?.. Who is all going to the sandbar party ??:bigear::reddevil:

38fountainSC
08-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Dave we are going to the sandbar along with bajacleveland and a bunch of others.

erierunnin
08-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Tim and i are going, along with Kramer i believe, and rob and barbeee i think too...i'm sure they will probably chime in

FULL FORCE
08-04-2009, 09:48 PM
LE Scott and mcConnel should be there also, hope it all goes well dave and I hope you can drive that thing out west this weekend!!

ChiefApache
08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
We'll be on Brian and Mandi's Cig Saturday. S/S will be with McConnell in his Concept. Johny & Linda are bringing their 38 Donzi up so we're all in!