PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive stuck, wont come off.

PARADOX
07-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Here we go again.
OK. getting new block, need to get the old one out. Outdrive stuck, can't pry it off. Seal is broken, little movement. 1/32". tha't is can't get it of. Any suggestions?
Tried putting wood up front at the forks and gimble, gently. (like hell. lol, ) dropping it.

phragle
07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
is it in forward????

phragle
07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
or are you spining it backwards and it should be in reverse??

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-17-2009, 09:27 PM
What Drive?

PARADOX
07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Sorry guys. Alpha 1. Gen 1. In forward, Did it bunch of times before, on other boats with no prob. This one stuck. I think its stuck on the bolts. Probobly has some corrosion in the threads, but the nuts came off easily. Or in the main gear sleeve in the motor itself.

Ratickle
07-17-2009, 11:38 PM
You're just having all kinds of fun this week aren't you....

First, get somone heavier to stand on it and jump up and down. Save youself for the tight spots in the bilge.....:sifone:

Maybe Fund or Dude Sweet on that new diet of his....

phragle
07-18-2009, 12:18 AM
ok..if it has budged a little bit, spray a bucnh of pb blaster or other penetrating oil on the 6 studs hopefully it budged enough you can get some behind too... wrap the heck out of it with a big rubber mallet, repeat a couple times (this wll hopefully get some of the oil down in the studs) let it sit over night. Next day spray it again and rewhap. then take a tiedown across the back loosely as an insurance policy so the drive cant slide all the way off. trim the drive down so gravity is your friend and whack and wiggle, jump on it, hopefully it comes. if that doesnt work, you can also trim it up, then jack up the front of the boat, throw a board under the skeg and trim it down (don't over do it) you just want to put a bit of pressure on it then hold a short 2x4 against the side and give it (the 2x4 to spread and soften the impact) a few whacks with a BFH.

Ratickle
07-18-2009, 12:22 AM
jump on it,

Have you met Peter? He weighs about nothin.......:sifone:

One of those guys that probably runs 25 miles a day and is great shape or something.....

phragle
07-18-2009, 12:35 AM
I have seen his pik.... Im about the same size minus the beer belly....

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-18-2009, 12:35 AM
If the motor has moved it will make it difficult. If the mounts haven't moved it will come off. With the trim cylinders removed make sure the drive will fall on the way in. It can't hit the ground first. Make sure it is in forward and confirm by looking at the where the slides line up to see they are in line and straight frd and back. Now don't be bashful pick up the back and slam it down. It will take it. Slam it a few times it will move. After it has started to move you should find a sacrificial hammer handle or something similar. Not something metal. Lift the drive and place it behind the bellhousing low against the gimble ring. Slam it again a few times. Sometimes when they really fight with you the gimble gearing will come out with the drive. When it starts to move use wood between the bellhousing and drive to force leverage when you continue to slam it down.

I have never done it like phragle suggested with the cylinders attached.

phragle
07-18-2009, 12:51 AM
thats if the thing wont budge at all, once you can get even a tiny bit of wobble, you wobble

PARADOX
07-18-2009, 08:49 AM
I have seen his pik.... Im about the same size minus the beer belly....

WHAT beer belly? My stomach is flat a a Cig flat deck.

Jim

The motor mounts have not moved yet. How much abuse can these drive take anyways.? I got some heavy duty turnbuckles .. I can use them and get it off. I just don't want to take it out in peaces..... yet..

Ratickle
07-18-2009, 08:51 AM
There is no beer belly there I can assure you. Convex, not concave. (Or is it the other way?)

I've always dreaded the day someone seals one on with 5200.....

So it is not budging any more than the original 1/4 inch? Does it wiggle that amount?

phragle
07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
I was reffering to my beer belly...odd tough, because I tend to drink rum..

PARADOX
07-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I got to 1/8'. No wiggles, but I got a turn buckle working on it that I plumb steel building with.
Something gonna give. I might rip out the transom and the motor,, but something is COMING out.

Ratickle
07-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Let me PM some others to review this.....

Jim's at work, so I know he hasn't seen this this morning recently.

DAREDEVIL
07-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I got to 1/8'. No wiggles, but I got a turn buckle working on it that I plumb steel building with.
Something gonna give. I might rip out the transom and the motor,, but something is COMING out.

As long your not pulling the transom from the boat .........lol.....u will get it !!!:sifone:

PARADOX
07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
:) It's off..

Now the engine.. Just watch me pick the damn thing up and just toss it overboard..

Ratickle
07-18-2009, 10:33 AM
:) It's off..

Now the engine.. Just watch me pick the damn thing up and just toss it overboard..

You gotta give us more than "It's off"......:boxing_smiley:

PARADOX
07-18-2009, 10:47 AM
You gotta give us more than "It's off"......:boxing_smiley:

ok ok .. ok.. The outdrive is off, and it's ok. It was one of the bolts that had some corrosion and it was binding. I sprayed some muriatic 1 to 10 solution to loosen the corrosion up and finally the DRIVE.. = "it"... came off.
Washed it off, and the drive, bellows, gimbles etc. are fine.

Ratickle
07-18-2009, 10:55 AM
ok ok .. ok.. The outdrive is off, and it's ok. It was one of the bolts that had some corrosion and it was binding. I sprayed some muriatic 1 to 10 solution to loosen the corrosion up and finally the DRIVE.. = "it"... came off.
Washed it off, and the drive, bellows, gimbles etc. are fine.

Much better. Thanks, and good deal......:)

PARADOX
07-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Wow.. that's a lot of work, but the motor is out. !!!! Woooo Hoooo!!!!