PDA

View Full Version : 4 Color Paint on Bow

scandelous
07-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm looking to repaint the graphic's on the bow of my 1999 382 Fastech. Looking for basic help. Tape Type? Paint Thinner, how much what type? Where to find the factory colors? Prep. Work, anything special? Air Pressure?

Any help would be greatly appriciated...:iamwithstupid:

glassdave
07-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Its pretty simple but detail orientated process. take all the trim and rigging off the deck if you can.

Wipe down entire surface with DX440 wax and grease remover
mask everything off
Sand the whole deck with 320 on a DA
do any repairs (chips, stress cracks, etc) and spot prime with K-36
block sand spot repairs with 320
spot seal all repairs with DP-48 epoxy sealer.
spot sand any sealer with 400 wet
pull all masking tape and paper, you want all new paper and tape for paint step
Powerwash and scrub down the surface with a grey scotchbrite pad
let stand overnight
re tape everything
wipe down with DX330 wax and grease remover
tack off any dust but at this point there should be little to none
shoot Bulldog adheasion promoter on all surfaces to be painted
lay down your white base, only spray enough to freshen up the color.
let flash for an hour or so
mask off and spray deck graphics.
let that flash for an hour or so and pull tape from graphics
re tack deck
shoot three coats of DCU2021 clear
let stand overnight
sand down the clear with1000 or 1200 dry on a DA and follow that with 3000 Trizak wet on a DA
buff that sucka to a high sheen :cool:

You may consult you paint supplier for a color match on the stripes and the white gel. When you spray the white you want to spray just enough to brighten up the color and leave the old graphics show through slightly so you can mask them off easily. These are all PPG products except for the Bulldog. Feel free to call if you'd like a more in depth run down on the process or if you run into any trouble while working on it. 419-461-4114 :cool:

glassdave
07-18-2009, 10:27 AM
oops are you just doing the stripes?

scandelous
07-23-2009, 07:09 PM
oops are you just doing the stripes?

Yes Dave they are just strips. I'm also confussed about the type of tape to use.

glassdave
07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I use green fineline for the longer sweeping kind of stuff and blue for more detailed stuff. You will probably have an easier time with the 1/4" or 1/2" green stuff (green fineline that is not 3m's green masking tape). If you are just doing the stripes mask them off at the edge with the fineline then border that with 3/4' then 2" wide masking tape so you have a nice wide protected area. No masking paper just yet. If the surface is in good shape take a gray Scotchbrite, SEM's Scuff & Clean and water and scrub the area to be painted. Be careful on the tape edge not to go against it, try to go along with it. Take your time and keep the Scuff & Clean wet, after the surface is completely scuffed powerwash everything very well. Scuff & Clean is very abrasive and you want to get rid of all of it. After its completely dried mask everything off and shoot the surface to be painted with Bulldog adhesion promoter (follow directions). If you are using solid colors i would use PPG's single stage Concept DCC. Covers/dries fast and buffs well. If you are using two or three different colors you will have to mask off each independently and possibly spread it out over a few days. If you want to get all you colors done in one day you can also use base clear but requires some juggling and an extra step of clearing everything. I am assuming the stripes on it now are factory Imron, Personally i would do them in single stage and spread it over a few days. Once they have dried a day or two pull the tape knock it down with 1200(dry da) then 3000 Trizak(wet da) and buff away . . . . they'll look like a million bucks :D . . . . .

feel free to give me a call if you have further questions 419-461-4114

scandelous
07-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks so much Dave...You Da Man!!!

glassdave
07-23-2009, 10:12 PM
see . . . . there i go again . . . . I'm gonna post my self right out of work. . . . give'in away all my best secrets an tips :D

scandelous
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
see . . . . there i go again . . . . I'm gonna post my self right out of work. . . . give'in away all my best secrets an tips :D

Your not going to make me drag that big dog to Mich. are you??

glassdave
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
lol . . . . :D

Offshoredrillin
07-25-2009, 10:10 PM
well being as he is in ohio, mich would be the long way. you trying to do the comet/cum splat on the front or something diff?

HiZ
07-27-2009, 10:11 AM
lol . . . . :D

Dave,

You need a tip jar on paypal
I would put something in there just from reading it!

:26:

glassdave
07-27-2009, 02:04 PM
The people i meet and friends i get out'a this is payment enough. To be honest i have gotten plenty out of these websites myself. :D