PDA

View Full Version : Diamond or JE Pistons?

djmadmatt
07-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm curious what everyone thinks. I've used Diamonds before and had no problems. I've also heard a lot of other people saying good things about them lately too.

So, what's everyone preference?

cubicinches
07-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I use Diamonds all the time, almost exclusively... they're a great piston. Better coverage as far as bore sizes and compression heights with their off the shelf stuff than JE. And, if you need something custom, their delivery time and price are usually much better than JE. If you want a custom piston from JE in a hurry, you'll pay dearly. JE makes a great product, they're just way too proud of themselves sometimes.

ProMod
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
We ran Diamonds in my Promod car for years, long rod, special pin height etc.Half the price of the custom Venolia's and great service as well ,Diamond is a good company.
We run off the shelf JE's in our blown boat motors..

Geronimo36
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
What do you guys think of Ross?

cubicinches
07-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Honestly, as long as Ross has been around, I don't feel that they are nearly the quality of a Diamond or JE. I used to use some lightweight Ross stuff in drag applications, and had some issues. Believe me, I'm really not one to blame the part, or manufacturer when we have a failure... beacuse that's usually not the case, but after repeated failures of the same nature with Ross pistons, I won't use them anymore. I feel the same way about Wiseco, other than their two stroke stuff. Ross makes some very trick looking, very lightweight stuff, but I think the weight savings comes at the cost of durability. Any lightweight drag stuff I do now gets Mahle pistons... zero issues with them to date. Mahle stuff is pricey, but the quality is outstanding. Just my 2 cents.

Geronimo36
07-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback!!!

How about Lunati's pistons? I've been running them in my blower motors for the last 4-5 seasons. The wait for the JE's were too long.

WETTE VETTE
07-16-2009, 02:44 PM
On my rebuild this season I'm using Diamond and so far I am pleased. The pistons are custom 4.605" bore with a 13.2 CC dome. They are crown and skirt coated and have DLC coated pins so I can run a vacuum pump. They are also cut for 43mm Total Seal rings and have lateral gas ports. Beautiful looking and once the order was placed it took them 2 weeks to deliver. :sifone:

djmadmatt
07-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow ... Those are some Sexy looking Pistons right there!

WETTE VETTE
07-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks! We also did a custom pin height at the advice of Bob Madera (Marine Kinetics) that put the piston .010" in the hole. We're using a .030" Cometic gasket to get our desired .040" quench. Now if I need to take .005" off the deck in the future I'll still be .005" in the hole and we can just increase the gasket thickness to .035". Like I said earlier custom, coated pistons in 2 weeks!

djmadmatt
07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Very Nice ... Funny, I just talked to Bob on the phone for the first time an hour ago. Real Nice guy.

MERPerformance
07-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice pistons, I use CP, Calico, does my coatings, like the gold top, mine come in gray, you gotta be a drag racer with those gas ports, haven't had a CP piston fail me in alot of running. Who, is doing their DLC coating on the pins?

MERPerformance
07-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks! We also did a custom pin height at the advice of Bob Madera (Marine Kinetics) that put the piston .010" in the hole. We're using a .030" Cometic gasket to get our desired .040" quench. Now if I need to take .005" off the deck in the future I'll still be .005" in the hole and we can just increase the gasket thickness to .035". Like I said earlier custom, coated pistons in 2 weeks!

Talked with Bob, today before I saw this post. He told me you saw; about the drag racing, SORRY! He told me about what your doing on the project. Your one of the 1 % that don't mine doing it right. Most guy's are looking for the cheapest way out and not wanting to spend on customs and coatings let alone DLC coated wrist pins. The frictional loss and heat transfer , one way to make power!

WETTE VETTE
07-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Talked with Bob, today before I saw this post. He told me you saw; about the drag racing, SORRY! He told me about what your doing on the project. Your one of the 1 % that don't mine doing it right. Most guy's are looking for the cheapest way out and not wanting to spend on customs and coatings let alone DLC coated wrist pins. The frictional loss and heat transfer , one way to make power!

I hear ya on the gas ports. Probably not to many lake racer guys running them. I didn't even think about running them until it came up several times in conversation with the people at Total Seal, Diamond and Bob Madera. After quite a bit of research and several conversations we decided it was a good choice and allowed use to a very low friction ring pack and still expect great ring seal as long as we pull a minimum of 10" of vacuum. We'll find out soon!

Craig

Tinkerer
07-19-2009, 11:23 PM
You are going to shred that boat..

Be carefull.
You may see me at Hot boat weekend this year.
The boat has been under cover for 2 1/2 years.
I can't believe how dirty a boat can get under a water tight cover.
Mechanically it is ready to go. Just needs a GOOD cleaning.

Steve

Chris
07-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Most guy's are looking for the cheapest way out and not wanting to spend on customs and coatings let alone DLC coated wrist pins. The frictional loss and heat transfer , one way to make power!

You can accomplish the same results for about 25 cents per pin and do it in your own garage. You can burnish impregnate the pin with tungsten disulfide powder. Itbonds under pressur at the atomic level. It adds thickness in the micron range. I've been using it for years on pins, valve stems, cam lobes, lifter faces and bodies, lifter bores, oil pumps and a bunch of other metal-to metal applications. Have never had a galling failure when I've used it. You can apply it with a buffing wheel in a dremel.

07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
You can accomplish the same results for about 25 cents per pin and do it in your own garage. You can burnish impregnate the pin with tungsten disulfide powder. Itbonds under pressur at the atomic level. It adds thickness in the micron range. I've been using it for years on pins, valve stems, cam lobes, lifter faces and bodies, lifter bores, oil pumps and a bunch of other metal-to metal applications. Have never had a galling failure when I've used it. You can apply it with a buffing wheel in a dremel.

Is it very toxic? Where do you get it? :bigear:

Chris
07-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Not at all. Most industrial-chemical supply houses have it. You can buy it here for a bunch more- they call it WSX- http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/techline/ie.html

07-21-2009, 04:52 PM
How far does an ounce go?

Chris
07-21-2009, 04:59 PM
two or three engines. It goes on 20 microns thick.