PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 38 with transom mount water pick-ups, non stepped bottom

MERPerformance
07-13-2009, 11:08 PM
hAVING SOME ISSUES WITH PICK-UPS ON 38 WITH TRANSOM PICK-UPS, AIR GETTING INTO WATER SYSTEM CAUSING HOT SPOTS ON 1-7 CYLINDER BANKS. POSTED IN ENGINE TECH. ANY HELP ?

boatme
07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
I had same set up on my 98 Top Gun and never had any water problems

Have you checked oil coolers for junk that may have gotten in them

OldSchool
07-14-2009, 08:00 AM
I have transom mounted pickups on my Top Gun (#6's). If needed, I can take some photos of the setup for you this evening. Let me know.

Craig

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-14-2009, 08:26 AM
If there is a gap between the hull and tube air has a place to get drawn in. When I was asked to install the square tube pickups I had weld added so the tube reached the hull. Than took a die grinder and contoured it smooth. Any deflection on the leading edge of the pickup will cause trouble. Is you stainer a swirl type? They separate the air better and allow it to escape.

Birdog
07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I have that set-up...My port engine runs a little hotter and i can see the strainer is not flowing the same amount of water as the starboard. I am going to get a thermal gun and check those cyl. now that you have posted

MnHowardCat
09-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Any one have any pics I bought a two stage water pump last year but have not installed it because I did not know ware to pout the water picup's
Don