PDA

View Full Version : new battery

drpete3
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
So I think I need a new battery. when i try to start with 1 it turns slow. number 2 turns strong.

first question is will it hurt either battery if i just replace one.

secondly should I just get an average deepcycle battery or should I get an optima deep cycle.

I think the thing that did it in was ,while tied up, I alway run my stereo off number1 so I know Ill have power to start with bat number 2.

both batteries are from 5/06

Chris
07-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Deep cycles are worthless for cranking- especially anything above a small block. If you have raftup/docking demands, you need a third battery, which can be a deep cycle.

Second, why chance a ruined day on the lake for $75? You got three years out of them. be happy. be grateful. Now replace them both.

drpete3
07-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Fair enough. What should I replace them with?

They say deep cycle starting bats on them

Warlock28SXT
07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Fair enough. What should I replace them with?

They say deep cycle starting bats on them

I run two Optima D31M blue tops. I like them, I'm sure others will say different.
They are Deep Cycle/Starting batteries. 1125 CA @32* 900 CA @ 0*

rchevelle71
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I just use the marine batteries from Walmart, they work fine, but if ya got the coin get Optimas.

Chris
07-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I just use the marine batteries from Walmart, they work fine, but if ya got the coin get Optimas.

I just use the regular WalMart batts. Replace them every year. Cheap insurance.

Cranking deep cycles are compromise batteries. Like I say, toss another battery box in there and use a deep cycle on an isolator. One day you may need all the cranking power of two good crank batteries. You'll have it.

Warlock28SXT
07-09-2009, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=Chris;264548]I just use the regular WalMart batts. Replace them every year. Cheap insurance.

Cranking deep cycles are compromise batteries.

????? The deep cycle/starting (blue tops) have more CA than the starting batteries (red top) and the same reserve as the DC (yellow top) in the same group. Seems like a good compromise to me.

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I just use the regular WalMart batts.

I don't shop at WalMart. What's your next choice????:)

Trim'd Up
07-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Stay away from Diehard. Quality isn't there anymore. They cost more and don't last as long as the wallly world batteries. If your willing to spend the money get the cabelas advanced angler batteries. They put optimas to shame.

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I have been going with the NAPA's lately.

rchevelle71
07-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't shop at WalMart. What's your next choice????:)

K-Mart, Sears, anywhere, it doesnt matter, most of the no-names are made by Johnson Controls anyway.

drpete3
07-10-2009, 12:25 AM
ok good advise

I hope

Ill look into it

Uncle Dave
07-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Regular lead acid wet stuff is good and CHEAP Use- 2-3 years then just replace.

Optimas- Ive personally not had good luck with- any "top" yellow, red
some guys swear by them. Never got more than a season and a half out a set. I get better life out of basic interstates.

I like the AGM style batteries (sears, Odyssey etc.) - I find for boating their extra cost to be worth it.

You can SLAM huge amperage into and out of AGM's with zero issues- up to 80% of the batteries total capacity can be safely thrown back into them with no deterioration of capacity and no overheating. (especially the 2150 class)

Uncle Dave

Chris
07-10-2009, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=Chris;264548]I just use the regular WalMart batts. Replace them every year. Cheap insurance.

Cranking deep cycles are compromise batteries.

????? The deep cycle/starting (blue tops) have more CA than the starting batteries (red top) and the same reserve as the DC (yellow top) in the same group. Seems like a good compromise to me.

I've had TERRIBLE luck with Optimas in marine applications. I have a commercial fleet and use them in our LD trucks exclusively, so I'm not biased against the company or their product. I just won't put another one in my boat.

As far as crank vs. DC vs hybrids, the specs can say wahtever they want. The real world is this- a good. old-fashioned lead acid crank battery will turn your engine longer and harder. I've tried them all.

Warlock28SXT
07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=Warlock28SXT;264553]

I've had TERRIBLE luck with Optimas in marine applications. I have a commercial fleet and use them in our LD trucks exclusively, so I'm not biased against the company or their product. I just won't put another one in my boat.

As far as crank vs. DC vs hybrids, the specs can say wahtever they want. The real world is this- a good. old-fashioned lead acid crank battery will turn your engine longer and harder. I've tried them all.

I'm not trying to split hairs with you Chris. I was giving my opinion about batteries. I have had no real issue with mine. 4 years and I pulled them out once to charge. This is like the Ford Chevy or Dodge discussion about batteries:) We all like what we like. I like them and was just giving drpete3 my experience with them. He can take it for what it's worth. Jason

Chris
07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Sure- I understand. I've just tried alot of batteries and I've never been happy with DC's. I typically have larger engines and/or higher compression and that makes a big difference. A good D cell flashlight will crank a 5.7. ;)

My overall point is this- if you need a deep cycle, it should be a dedicated battery. The radio won't start your boat in the morning, so why use up the battery that's there to do the job? And if they're there to crank, why not use a good crank battery?

Geronimo36
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Cranking deep cycles are compromise batteries. Like I say, toss another battery box in there and use a deep cycle on an isolator. One day you may need all the cranking power of two good crank batteries. You'll have it.

Personally I've never had any problems with the Deep Cycle/Cranking batteries as long as they're Group 27's. In my opinion Group 24's have no place in anything with big cubes or high comp. You may get peak amps but no duration.

I'm running 580 cubic inches and blowers, I get 3 years out of a set of regular ole Interstate 27's. I also run the GPS and radio/sub/amp all day while anchored up with the family. The key for me is taking them out of the boat every winter and storing them. :driving:

I also liked the Lee batteries, not even sure if they're still around.. When I was working at the marina we never installed a cranking battery and customers didn't want a "house" battery so the deep/crank's were the best...

Trim'd Up
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I just picked up two more of these group 27's last night for the Baja. I have them in the bass boat and the jeep and they have impressed the hell out of me. Optimas have not been good to me in the past. I wouldn't run one in my boat if it was given to me, but I have friends that love them. I just realized I have $1500 in batteries not including the truck and car. :(
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0023033016446a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=advanced+angler&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

rchevelle71
07-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I run a cranking on one side, and a dual purpse on the other, start off both and run the stereo off the dual purpose.