PDA

View Full Version : European classes

Cookee
07-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi I replied to a thread elsewhere and it was suggested I put it in here as well:

This is a RIB that we make - did 91.5mph with a 2.5 offshore on the back - 24' and 975kg.

The P1 racing is split into two classes, the production "Supersports" class has a power to weight ratio of 4.5kg to 1 HP and a speed limit of 85mph. The race boat class is also for monos with a 3.5kg to 1 HP weight limit, no speed limit and canopies, Outerlimits, Fountain, Cigarette and Donzi all have boats racing in the top class.

The Dubai based 6 litre class if for monos or cats, but cats rule - Doug Wrights go well, and any competitive boat from the US should do well over there, but with the cash prizes the competition is hotting up all of the time.

P1 is better for PR and runs in the summer season with a truly International venue series, with the X Cat series running in the winter, little to no PR and prize money it is almost the opposite.

If anyone want s to know more get in touch - I write for a UK magazine about racing as well as building and racing boats myself.

Below the Rib is our latest project for the Marathon class which would compete in the annual Cowes Torquay Cowes race as well as the next round Britain race which will be in 2012 just before the London Olympics.

Email is cookee@bananasharkracing.com

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks, what are those races I see on line with the outboard and two people in an open boat? The seem to be popular. Small Vee's, seems many sit in-line.

Cookee
07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks, what are those races I see on line with the outboard and two people in an open boat? The seem to be popular. Small Vee's, seems many sit in-line.

Have you got a link to those on line videos?

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Have you got a link to those on line videos?

http://www.f4sa.com/tv.php

These guys.....:ack2:

Some of the links are imbedded down at the left side

Cookee
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
http://www.f4sa.com/tv.php

These guys.....:ack2:

Some of the links are imbedded down at the left side

Ok those are from a series promoted by Honda with them paying for TV coverage, it runs in New Zealand as well - it is the importer rather than Honda Japan paying.

It was very popular until this year when Honda pulled back a bit and announced they would pull out completely in a couple of years - can't give the boats away for half of what they were worth 12 months ago! Also with the TV coverage the teams were able to get some sponsorship, but that is harder to get as well now. At least one team have bought a cat to go and race in the gulf with the X cats next winter.

There are a core of enthusiastic racers in the Honda series and they will prevent it from collapsing, but it will only regain its former glory if they can get a good budget to run it and in the current climate that will be hard work, I wish them well and hope that they can continue and get back to where they were.

Anything else you need to know?

You can get into P1 Supersports for not much money - a Donzi zx38 with twin 525's would get you an occasional podium if driven well, and I believe a Fountain 42 with the same power would be competitive as well - just ship it over here! :)

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Ok those are from a series promoted by Honda with them paying for TV coverage, it runs in New Zealand as well - it is the importer rather than Honda Japan paying.

It was very popular until this year when Honda pulled back a bit and announced they would pull out completely in a couple of years - can't give the boats away for half of what they were worth 12 months ago! Also with the TV coverage the teams were able to get some sponsorship, but that is harder to get as well now. At least one team have bought a cat to go and race in the gulf with the X cats next winter.

There are a core of enthusiastic racers in the Honda series and they will prevent it from collapsing, but it will only regain its former glory if they can get a good budget to run it and in the current climate that will be hard work, I wish them well and hope that they can continue and get back to where they were.

Anything else you need to know?

You can get into P1 Supersports for not much money - a Donzi zx38 with twin 525's would get you an occasional podium if driven well, and I believe a Fountain 42 with the same power would be competitive as well - just ship it over here! :)

Just get a couple stops here and it may be an option......:)

Cookee
07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Just get a couple stops here and it may be an option......:)

Just let me know when to expect it! :)

Chris
07-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Rat- the boats you're talking about are one-design pieces built by Cougar. Honda Outboards. We had that here- called them "batboats". Great racing- too bad it didn't catch on.

Cookee
07-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Rat- the boats you're talking about are one-design pieces built by Cougar. Honda Outboards. We had that here- called them "batboats". Great racing- too bad it didn't catch on.

We have those over here as well with Volvo 5.7 litre motors in and the Volvo DPX duoprop drive, they run at mid seventies and are called V24's

Ratickle
07-10-2009, 10:03 AM
We have those over here as well with Volvo 5.7 litre motors in and the Volvo DPX duoprop drive, they run at mid seventies and are called V24's

Do they have a circuit still? I know they were originally from Europe.

Chris
07-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Kinda died out. Reindl still brings the boats to OPA races on a rent-a-ride program. They run well and are pretty bulletproof. Hard to imagine why they didn't catch on.

Sean Stinson
07-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Because they weren't cool looking or sexy:26::26:

Ratickle
07-11-2009, 11:11 PM

They didn't do an outboard Batboat, did they?

Cookee
07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Do they have a circuit still? I know they were originally from Europe.

They were designed by Ocke Mannerfelt from Sweden, but made under licence in various places, ignoring the Ribs there are 4 models that I know of - a small 1.3 litre outboard that is the B22, the B23 that was made for the XR2 2 litre 200 hp Merc and is now running the 2.5 litre 200XS, the V24 and the B28 made for twin XR2's - Ian Blacker ran one with a canopy in the Middle East series until he got his cat. That B28 was made in the US and was the last one made before the company went bust and he was lucky to get it at all. Someone (may have been the same company) also made a leisure version of the V24 without the roof.

Cookee
07-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Chris I just reread your post above - The Batboats are not Cougars with Hondas - completely different.

Reindls boats are all Mannerfelt designed boats the same as the V24's in Europe, and the Cougar boats are all open topped Honda 4 stroke boats with a liking for sending their occupants for a swim when pushed a little too hard! www.f4sa.com

BlackJack58
07-15-2009, 01:29 PM
The 28' Cougars used in the Honda Series are pretty sharp boats - they have a removable back-seat cover (used when racing) that comes off for leisure use - so you can seat 4-5 total. And 70mph in a 28' boat with a 225 hp outboard isn't bad, either. I wouldn't mind having one....

http://www.f4sa.com/images/gallery/thumbnails/IMG_5760_600x400.jpg

Ratickle
07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
The 28' Cougars used in the Honda Series are pretty sharp boats - they have a removable back-seat cover (used when racing) that comes off for leisure use - so you can seat 4-5 total. And 70mph in a 28' boat with a 225 hp outboard isn't bad, either. I wouldn't mind having one....

Sweet. Now if they could make that with a canopy that was removeable it would really be sweet......

Steve Miklos
07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi I replied to a thread elsewhere and it was suggested I put it in here as well:

This is a RIB that we make - did 91.5mph with a 2.5 offshore on the back - 24' and 975kg.

The P1 racing is split into two classes, the production "Supersports" class has a power to weight ratio of 4.5kg to 1 HP and a speed limit of 85mph. The race boat class is also for monos with a 3.5kg to 1 HP weight limit, no speed limit and canopies, Outerlimits, Fountain, Cigarette and Donzi all have boats racing in the top class.

The Dubai based 6 litre class if for monos or cats, but cats rule - Doug Wrights go well, and any competitive boat from the US should do well over there, but with the cash prizes the competition is hotting up all of the time.

P1 is better for PR and runs in the summer season with a truly International venue series, with the X Cat series running in the winter, little to no PR and prize money it is almost the opposite.

If anyone want s to know more get in touch - I write for a UK magazine about racing as well as building and racing boats myself.

Below the Rib is our latest project for the Marathon class which would compete in the annual Cowes Torquay Cowes race as well as the next round Britain race which will be in 2012 just before the London Olympics.

Email is cookee@bananasharkracing.com

Great RIB! I am a RIB fan! I have a SACS 680 for pleasure use. What do these sell for F.O.B. Miami unrigged?
Thansk
Steve

imco offshore
07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Great RIB! I am a RIB fan! I have a SACS 680 for pleasure use. What do these sell for F.O.B. Miami unrigged?
Thansk
Steve

steve let me know what they say ,,,i like that boat?

Ryan Beckley
07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Rat

My $.02 is this.....

I keep seeing you post that same thing. Do you not understand that if you make any canopy removeable, IT WILL NOT BE SAFE?? Do you really want to put you and your wife into something that is questionable. If it were such a good idea all of the builders would be doing it already. Sadly, you can't have both....if you want a pleaser boat buy one.....if you want a race boat buy one.....

Ratickle
07-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Rat

My $.02 is this.....

I keep seeing you post that same thing. Do you not understand that if you make any canopy removeable, IT WILL NOT BE SAFE?? Do you really want to put you and your wife into something that is questionable. If it were such a good idea all of the builders would be doing it already. Sadly, you can't have both....if you want a pleaser boat buy one.....if you want a race boat buy one.....

I know, but it's a nice thought. Keep thinking about that one pleasure boat with hydraulics on all four corners of the canopy.....

Ryan Beckley
07-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Keep thinking about the hydraulics or wiring failing and drowning in the boat........

Ratickle
07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Keep thinking about the hydraulics or wiring failing and drowning in the boat........

Good point.....

Cookee
07-17-2009, 10:16 AM

The speed record on Lake Coniston was 67mph (I was there doing over 90mph in our race boat).

Cookee
07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Thansk
Steve

Hi Steve (and IMCO Offshore),

As always with these things it would depend! We usually make the seat bases as these fit to the hull rather than a floor, and I assume it would need the tubes on. We would put ski eyes and boy eye on for tying it down, so including all of that ex factory in Devon, England it would be £10,000 plus any taxes, shipping and it would need a cradle or a trailer to ship it on. That is for the race boat with the two seats, the 5 seat leisure boat would be a bit more! Email me at cookee@bananasharkracing.com if you want more information and photos.

obrien
07-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Steve one of these ribs would make a cool support boat with a Verado on the back.

Cookee
07-19-2009, 04:03 AM
Steve one of these ribs would make a cool support boat with a Verado on the back.

The leisure version runs at 64mph with a Verado 250 and it is so stable you can take you hands off the wheel - we use the digital foot throttle with that as well. It has a locker under the foredeck almost 6' long, a ski locker under the cockpit floor and the A frame will tow skiers and wakeboarders. We fit cockpit LED lighting, popup cleats and simulated teak decking that looks and feels like wood. For a support boat role we would fit bucket type racing seats with suspension as an option. Email me if you want more information. :)

Chris
07-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Chris I just reread your post above - The Batboats are not Cougars with Hondas - completely different.

Reindls boats are all Mannerfelt designed boats the same as the V24's in Europe, and the Cougar boats are all open topped Honda 4 stroke boats with a liking for sending their occupants for a swim when pushed a little too hard! www.f4sa.com

By "we had that here", I meant one-design racing.

Chris
07-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Thansk
Steve

Steve- have you seen these?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/CTS1489/Project1-6.jpg

Built by former racer Jim Dyke in Vermilion Ohio. And not cheap. He makes a 29' I/O as well.

http://www.airshipribs.com

Cookee
07-22-2009, 08:34 AM
By "we had that here", I meant one-design racing.

Sorry - Got it now!

Cookee
07-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Steve- have you seen these?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/CTS1489/Project1-6.jpg

Built by former racer Jim Dyke in Vermilion Ohio. And not cheap. He makes a 29' I/O as well.

http://www.airshipribs.com

Ironically they are the Cougar hull which is the same as the Honda race hull - small world isn't it!

Speed and handling I would put one of ours up against one of those, they would be better if it got really rough as they are built much heavier and generally a bigger boat. Certainly nothing wrong with the British built ones.

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 02:33 PM

Well there´s boats with roof..fast even all over so what are you implying or fear of ?
Actually in the northern places it´s quite nice to keep yourself warm and be able to powerboat fast in the below 40F´s for example.
The Brewskies ( or stronger) taste soooo much better after a run in the nippy cold...
And sleeping in a warm boat is quite cozy when it´s freezing cold outside..especially with female company...
Actually I´ve had similar ideas on big boats that a removable Bolt on Hard Top would be nice.

Ratickle
09-05-2009, 02:36 PM

Yep, no way I'd do it without a manual hatch in there too...

Cookee
09-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Actually I´ve had similar ideas on big boats that a removable Bolt on Hard Top would be nice.

We hope to offer this in a removable top version when it's finished.

Ratickle
09-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Nice looking boat....:drool5:

Have any specs yet????????

Cookee
09-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Twin diesels - probably the Yanmar 3 litre which is the BMW common rail motor with Arneson No. 6's, it will have a basic cabin with a V berth and space for a galley and heads.

The Yanmars give 260hp out of the box, and we are expecting speeds in the low 70's (mph) as it will be light. Leisure versions will have standard Bravo "X" drives, and will either have the roof removed leaving the windscreen on, and also a removable roof version will also be available in the future which can be stored in the engine compartment.

We are hoping to have the race boat on the water in time for the Marathon World Championships in Cowes, August 2010.

MarylandMark
09-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Good stuff Cookee!

Cookee
09-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Good stuff Cookee!

:)

MikeyFIN
09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
We hope to offer this in a removable top version when it's finished.

I´ve been in email contact with mr Berserk around that boat...now that one is just cool as it is. Keep it that way only.

Cookee
09-17-2009, 03:33 AM
But I thought that was what you wanted? Besides we would offer enclosed, open or removable to give customers the option!

MikeyFIN
09-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Nope not on that boat a removable actually but as a sale item yes why not offer one too.
Just thru and idea in the air with him emailing regarding the removable hardtop.
Those big boats I had in mind was around 50 footers.
When you leave the rear part open it will give some open air feeling and would probably work quite good as commuter around the archipelagos or such to give some protection if the weather changes.
Plus heating from the engines or a heater will keep one warm despite it being open in the rear.