PDA

View Full Version : look at this...

stecz20
07-06-2009, 10:36 PM
im sure this can be gotten for 20,000....

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/1250367106.html

Expensive Date
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Looks like it sunk

inbetween
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Hmmmmmm.......That would make a good winter project...

Bobcat
07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
not a big fan of facing bolsters, I mean someone should watch the water ahead for petes sakes:sifone:

Expensive Date
07-06-2009, 11:45 PM
not a big fan of facing bolsters, I mean someone should watch the water ahead for petes sakes:sifone:

They had to put them that way so you can't see in the cabin.its probably as black as the steering wheel.Its been under

Trim'd Up
07-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Those are special edition homo bolsters. You did see who posted this right. ;)

Tank
07-07-2009, 01:30 AM
This looks like the boat that was owned by the Dr from "Miami Slice"...A TV show that was on for like a year. He lived off of Biscayne bay. Tried to run with us in a Gladiator once...Not a good choice:biggrinjester:

JupiterSunsation
07-07-2009, 08:30 AM
I would still rather put this boat back together than a burnt one.......

Chris
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Lake Cumberland has a couple of no-power 38's that could be had for about the same $$. And they're in MUCH better shape.

SKRAMER
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
not a big fan of facing bolsters, i mean someone should watch the water ahead for petes sakes:sifone:

lol!!!!

Ratickle
07-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Lake Cumberland has a couple of no-power 38's that could be had for about the same $$. And they're in MUCH better shape.

Any with a stagger?

northernoffshore
07-07-2009, 09:17 AM
that boat needs 35,000 to make it worth 40.

Chris
07-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Any with a stagger?

I believe the one might be. The red Superman boat is there and the other one is rigged for ski racing. Has six-man sit-down seating. Both are cut for six drives.

Ratickle
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
that boat needs 35,000 to make it worth 40.

I believe the one might be. The red Superman boat is there and the other one is rigged for ski racing. Has six-man sit-down seating. Both are cut for six drives.

Sixes are too dang expensive, unless they're already there.....

It looks like the one above has the Bravos and housings, just need to be installed.

I'm just kinda watching because I have the Scorpion with the 540's at 630HP and Huber 1400's. The Scorpion hull is an okay design, but with the TRS's will never be all it can be. So, change to Konrads or, find a nice stagger hull with drives (3a's or 5's) and swap the power and trans into it. Plus I have spare trans and 3 tailstocks. And the BT has 3A's so I would be alike.

If that hull in Miami has the drives and was a stagger, it would be very interesting.

Cigdude
07-07-2009, 09:25 PM
http://detroit.craigslist.org/boa/1255396489.html

DollaBill
07-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I think that boat was in a rap video too

Ratickle
07-07-2009, 10:56 PM

From the pics, does not appear to be staggered..

Tank
07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I think that boat was in a rap video too

different boat...The one in the rap video was nicely done and was a T/S

MattBMiller
07-09-2009, 07:51 AM

That boat is 10 miles away from me in Marine City. Going to email him and see if I can look at it this weekend.

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 07:53 AM
That boat is 10 miles away from me in Marine City. Going to email him and see if I can look at it this weekend.

Just from the short ad, it sounds as if it has power, #3 drives, trip trailer, etc.

Best offer may be a low number. If it was staggered, I'd be cruisin over to look at it with you....

MattBMiller
07-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Just from the short ad, it sounds as if it has power, #3 drives, trip trailer, etc.

Best offer may be a low number. If it was staggered, I'd be cruisin over to look at it with you....

Here's the reply I got back from him....

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi Matt

attached are the 3 pics I have on the computer of the boat. Please be aware that this is very much a project. It will need a new interior, paint, and since the engines haven't been run in 5 years, they are a big question mark.

If you have any questions, call me at xxxxxxxxx

Thanks

Mike

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
See if you can find out his highest offer. Also, are you any good at tapping for water/dryrot? If the transom's completely toast, it isn't worth much more than the parts.

Also, #3 parts are starting to get expensive and a little hard to find. If the drives are bad, the boat will need to be real low priced. But, it's still worth looking at.

Guys, in rebuilt shape, what's it worth in today's market, truthful range?

MattBMiller
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Another reply to my inquiry about the hull....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The last year I ran the boat, I left it in the water, and the paint bubbled from the water line to the chine. I sanded this area to make sure that it wasn't the gel coat, and it was only the paint.

While I was wintering in FL a couple of years ago, the shrink wrap failed, and allowed water into the cabin of the boat. I pumped the water out, and re-covered the boat, but the fabric and foam in the cabin will need to be replaced because of mildew.

There is no damage to the hull other than the paint.

Mike

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Another reply to my inquiry about the hull....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The last year I ran the boat, I left it in the water, and the paint bubbled from the water line to the chine. I sanded this area to make sure that it wasn't the gel coat, and it was only the paint.

While I was wintering in FL a couple of years ago, the shrink wrap failed, and allowed water into the cabin of the boat. I pumped the water out, and re-covered the boat, but the fabric and foam in the cabin will need to be replaced because of mildew.

There is no damage to the hull other than the paint.

Mike

You're getting down to a 10 grand boat I think.....

MattBMiller
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
You're getting down to a 10 grand boat I think.....

Yea, doesn't sound so intriguing now. Still haven't heard what power is in it now.

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Yea, doesn't sound so intriguing now. Still haven't heard what power is in it now.

Intriguing at 10 or so. Got a trailer, drives, and ?.

MattBMiller
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Exactly

MarylandMark
07-09-2009, 02:07 PM

It's on a Mico! :sifone:

Tank
07-09-2009, 02:49 PM

I'd take the "fake" Playboy for 20 before that train wreck flat deck for 10!:ack2:

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I'd take the "fake" Playboy for 20 before that train wreck flat deck for 10!:ack2:

Gotta give us more info than that, you're the Cig Dude......

Why, what do we look for, etc., etc......

Tank
07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Gotta give us more info than that, you're the Cig Dude......

Why, what do we look for, etc., etc......

I think that flat deck is going to need as much (if not more) work than the playboy Top Gun. The Top Gun sounds like it comes with drives and it's possible the cabin interior is ok. The Top Gun will be worth more after you dump all this money into it to repair/update. I just think you're looking at dumping the same amount of money into both boats essentially and in the end, I'd rather be in a Top Gun than a flat deck for the same money. Just my .02

drpete3
07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
So I like projects like this but let list some of the knowns

Interior 15K?
Paint...keep it simple 15K
misc 10K

now motors are ??? so lets say 10 but we know we could spend 40

so now on the low end we are at 50 in repairs and whatever you put into the boat to buy it ...10K?

total 60K

but if I am even close on my numbers I would add 15% which then gets us to 69K

Now is that a good but for a 1984 ???

Feel free to revise my numbers as you all see it

Ratickle
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I think that flat deck is going to need as much (if not more) work than the playboy Top Gun. The Top Gun sounds like it comes with drives and it's possible the cabin interior is ok. The Top Gun will be worth more after you dump all this money into it to repair/update. I just think you're looking at dumping the same amount of money into both boats essentially and in the end, I'd rather be in a Top Gun than a flat deck for the same money. Just my .02

True, but they're Bravo's vs 3's and the flat deck has engines, the Top Gun doesn't.

MattBMiller
07-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Got some more pics today. Gonna try to get over to look at it Sat.

MattBMiller
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
More

MattBMiller
07-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Last ones for now

Ratickle
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Can anyone tell if those are 370's or 420's? Look like 370's to me.

Anyone????

And when he gets there, how does he tell?

Also, let's get a list going here of what to look at before considering this boat for possible survey by a pro.....

sledge
07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Wouldn't think the 370s got the high rise intake?

Ratickle
07-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't think the 370s got the high rise intake?

Could be right. What casting numbers, if any, should he look for?

Trim'd Up
07-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't think they are 370's or 420's. They look like home brew to me, or at least merc with some changes. Is that a belt driven oil pump?

bigboat28
07-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Anxious to hear what he finds out.

Ratickle
07-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Anxious to hear what he finds out.

Yep, me too......

Bobcat
07-11-2009, 05:52 PM
one of the things I missed when I looked at a boat for another member was the shape of the tires on the trailer, if they would make an hour or 3 hour trip just to get it home.

insanity
07-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I would think even at $20 K that flat deck isn't priced too bad, depending on condition of the hull. Not the paint itself but structurally as that trailer looks to be about 2 feet too short. Motors look ok on the outside for not having run in 5 years, but I'm sure just the moisture coming in the pipes alone would cause some problems on things.

Pull the motors, fill the transom, set it up as a stagger. Gut the interior and make it a six-pack. Then she's Built for Speed :D

Ratickle
07-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I would think even at $20 K that flat deck isn't priced too bad, depending on condition of the hull. Not the paint itself but structurally as that trailer looks to be about 2 feet too short. Motors look ok on the outside for not having run in 5 years, but I'm sure just the moisture coming in the pipes alone would cause some problems on things.

Pull the motors, fill the transom, set it up as a stagger. Gut the interior and make it a six-pack. Then she's Built for Speed :D

That's a lot of work...

And I'd never do a six-pack in todays world. I'd do three in a row, power bolsters, each side, no bench......

How do you convert a regular side by side to a stagger?

phragle
07-11-2009, 06:41 PM
That's a lot of work...

Sawzall and some fiberglass...

Ratickle
07-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Sawzall and some fiberglass...

But typically the stringers are full length for strength. They wouldn't be too good cut and spliced, would they?

phragle
07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
whats up with this one?? looks clean, nice price...needs a little work but...??

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-CIGARETTE-Cafe-Racer-95363855

Ratickle
07-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Looks like a great price.....

PM Chris, Stecz, and Tank....

Tank
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM

That boat sat in the water (salt water!) for a while and the drives, tabs and everything else under the water line got BEAT UP!! Assume the transom is wet, the boat going to need new drives/gimbles/tabs/etc. The interior is a rough as well. Oh, and I heard it sold...But don't know for sure.

OUCH!:ack2:

phragle
07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
The guys at work are amazed that you can post about a bout on the west coast, on a saturday evening and have answers and piks telling the rest of the story in 15 minutes...

lucky strike
07-11-2009, 08:16 PM
The guys at work are amazed that you can post about a bout on the west coast, on a saturday evening and have answers and piks telling the rest of the story in 15 minutes...

That's called knowledge bro.

Tank
07-11-2009, 09:12 PM

We all network. Small community this sport we love. Just as long as nobody talks any crap about my boat when I put it up for sale:sifone:

insanity
07-11-2009, 09:27 PM
But typically the stringers are full length for strength. They wouldn't be too good cut and spliced, would they?

From as much time as I've spent in the bilge of my cousin's, only thing I think you might have to do is cut down the center stringer a bit and probably add an outer stringer on each side of the motors for the out mounts. It may even be possible to leave the center stringer alone and trim the offshore mounts/stringer mounts to work. If anything, it would be stronger then. Only question would be if the bulkhead at the front of the engine bay would have to be moved up and by how much. As well as fuel tanks, the staggered boats we looked at usually had the side tanks. Not a small project, but not huge either, but if it could be gottent for around $18K, why not?

I know 'Razzmatazz' that is for sale over on OSO started out as a side by side that was converted. I thought I had some better pics of the stringer layout from when I looked at it but I don't.

Ratickle
07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
That boat sat in the water (salt water!) for a while and the drives, tabs and everything else under the water line got BEAT UP!! Assume the transom is wet, the boat going to need new drives/gimbles/tabs/etc. The interior is a rough as well. Oh, and I heard it sold...But don't know for sure.

What's it worth? What he's asking?

Ratickle
07-11-2009, 10:17 PM

If you PM those three when a Cig comes up, you should know somthing fairly soon.....:sifone:

Ratickle
07-11-2009, 10:18 PM
From as much time as I've spent in the bilge of my cousin's, only thing I think you might have to do is cut down the center stringer a bit and probably add an outer stringer on each side of the motors for the out mounts. It may even be possible to leave the center stringer alone and trim the offshore mounts/stringer mounts to work. If anything, it would be stronger then. Only question would be if the bulkhead at the front of the engine bay would have to be moved up and by how much. As well as fuel tanks, the staggered boats we looked at usually had the side tanks. Not a small project, but not huge either, but if it could be gottent for around $18K, why not?

I know 'Razzmatazz' that is for sale over on OSO started out as a side by side that was converted. I thought I had some better pics of the stringer layout from when I looked at it but I don't.

Thanks, we may be getting more into it.......:sifone:

inbetween
07-11-2009, 11:49 PM

Phone number is busy all the time and no return emails, using contact info in the ad.

glassdave
07-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Is that a belt driven oil pump?

yep, they look like dry sums. could be some old supercat motors or some dervitive there of.

Ratickle
07-12-2009, 08:12 AM
yep, they look like dry sums. could be some old supercat motors or some dervitive there of.

Hopefully have some answeres today.....

Dave, changing a boat like that to a stagger. Can you start a thread in the GlassDave Forum?

Chris
07-12-2009, 08:54 AM

You'd start by cutting out the engine room bulkhead and the cockpit floor. Then remove the tank and the stringers all the way forward to the cabin bulkhead. Then the transom. You'll need saddle tanks.

Ratickle
07-12-2009, 08:56 AM
You'd start by cutting out the engine room bulkhead and the cockpit floor. Then remove the tank and the stringers all the way forward to the cabin bulkhead. Then the transom. You'll need saddle tanks.

So the main stringers do need to be full length....

insanity
07-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Jungle TG at Lake Cumberland marine stringer layout. Really it looks like just adding a stringer for the outer offshore mounts and the inner offshore mounts are modified to fit around the center stringer. And you wouldn't have the notch to contend with on the Flat Deck. If only I wasn't ballz deep in a rebuild myself....

Ratickle
07-12-2009, 09:35 AM
If only I wasn't ballz deep in a rebuild myself....

:sifone: :sifone: :sifone:

I'm working on three at the moment. :ack2:

But, an interesting project you can't lose money on always seems to find a home. And this may be one......:)

Ratickle
07-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Jungle TG at Lake Cumberland marine stringer layout. Really it looks like just adding a stringer for the outer offshore mounts and the inner offshore mounts are modified to fit around the center stringer. And you wouldn't have the notch to contend with on the Flat Deck. If only I wasn't ballz deep in a rebuild myself....

So the engines and trans sit high enough to clear the existing stringers? Or they cut them down in height and added the far outside ones?

Tough to see what steps they went through.

insanity
07-12-2009, 11:22 AM
It would be hard to say until you actually saw the stringer layout in that Flat Deck, but it looks to me like the center stringer wouldn't need to be modified at all, the offshore mounts get cut-out a little bit and they have a little bit longer 'flange' on the outside of the mount to reach the outside stringer. The outside stringers look like they would sit between the stringer that runs under the motors and the outside offshore mount stringer in a side-by-side setup. I just think of the ease of maintenance a stagger would render over the side by side. With the transmissions its not too bad but I couldn't (don't want to) imagine trying to do anything on the backside of the motor in a twin-Bravo setup. Depending how far forward you had to move the engine room bulkhead I would think you could just have the belly-tanks cut down. Then also put some smaller saddle tanks in the engine room if need be.

Hell probably the most expensive part of it would be having the exhaust made :ack2:

Ratickle
07-12-2009, 11:29 AM
It would be hard to say until you actually saw the stringer layout in that Flat Deck, but it looks to me like the center stringer wouldn't need to be modified at all, the offshore mounts get cut-out a little bit and they have a little bit longer 'flange' on the outside of the mount to reach the outside stringer. The outside stringers look like they would sit between the stringer that runs under the motors and the outside offshore mount stringer in a side-by-side setup. I just think of the ease of maintenance a stagger would render over the side by side. With the transmissions its not too bad but I couldn't (don't want to) imagine trying to do anything on the backside of the motor in a twin-Bravo setup. Depending how far forward you had to move the engine room bulkhead I would think you could just have the belly-tanks cut down. Then also put some smaller saddle tanks in the engine room if need be.

Hell probably the most expensive part of it would be having the exhaust made :ack2:

You can always find good used exhaust to modify.....

MattBMiller
07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Couldn't make it out there this weekend. Pulled the motors out of my buddys boat Sat am and got that prepped for some stringer work. 2 cracked straingers in a 33 Powerplay. Hopefully I can get out to look at it one night this week after work.

Ratickle
07-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Couldn't make it out there this weekend. Pulled the motors out of my buddys boat Sat am and got that prepped for some stringer work. 2 cracked straingers in a 33 Powerplay. Hopefully I can get out to look at it one night this week after work.

Dang, lot of us waiting to see if you come home with a new project.....

2 cracked stringers????:ack2: Any idea why/how?????:confused:

Chris
07-13-2009, 09:01 AM
So the main stringers do need to be full length....

You would want the two outer stringers to travel at least to the cabin bulkhead and tie into whatever runs forward of there. With a stagger, you can't really have a full keel stringer.

Ratickle
07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
You would want the two outer stringers to travel at least to the cabin bulkhead and tie into whatever runs forward of there. With a stagger, you can't really have a full keel stringer.

I keep looking at the pics above and can't quite figure them out.

It looks as if the engines are high enough to clear the center stringer?

drpete3
07-13-2009, 09:14 AM
See if you can find out his highest offer. Also, are you any good at tapping for water/dryrot? If the transom's completely toast, it isn't worth much more than the parts.

Also, #3 parts are starting to get expensive and a little hard to find. If the drives are bad, the boat will need to be real low priced. But, it's still worth looking at.

Guys, in rebuilt shape, what's it worth in today's market, truthful range?
Just talked to a guy out of grand haven that has a top gun with num 3 drives but bought sixes last week so he will probably want to unload the number 3's

Ratickle
07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Just talked to a guy out of grand haven that has a top gun with num 3 drives but bought sixes last week so he will probably want to unload the number 3's

Who?

Chris
07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
There's just not much of a center stringer there. Most staggered race setups have a wider, offset inside stringer and that shorty center keel stringer.

MattBMiller
07-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Dang, lot of us waiting to see if you come home with a new project.....

2 cracked stringers????:ack2: Any idea why/how?????:confused:

Hopefully one night this week.

We noticed the stringers were cracked a couple weeks ago. Not sure why, but they're cracked in the exact same place on both sides. I'm told they are pine, not plywood, that could have something to do with it.

insanity
07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
If I were home I would go check it out (the Flat Deck), but I'm stuck down in Cincin-nasti. On second look at the pics it looks like the mufflers were shrink-wrapped so hopefully it kept out a lot of the moisture out of the motors. It would be interesting to find out what those really are.

I would think it you took apart parts-wise it would bring:
$1000 - K-planes/pumps
$4000-5000 - motors (both, $2000-2500 each)
$4500-6000 - drives/gimbles (both)
$1000 - transmissions
$500 - mufflers ?
$1500 - Trailer
$5000 - Hull
So $17.5 K roughly? He said best offer right? :D

Chris
07-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Your hull and trailer prices are fairly close. You're at about double or more on the rest. Those engines and drives- you've got to assume the worst on them. And the worst is not very good when you're talking about engines stored outside and not started for years. And those bullet-style 3's would maybe be worth 6 if they had a full refresh (which costs about that much- unless you need gears)

MattBMiller
07-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I was told the motors are Hawk 540's, but they look like 420's.

Tank
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM

3's or 3A's?

insanity
07-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Anybody take a gander at the Flat Deck yet? My interest is piqued :D

Ratickle
07-19-2009, 11:30 PM
3's or 3A's?

I believe they are 3A's. Call Ben, Precision Power, 616-844-1000. I think they're the ones I saw Friday and the 6's were waiting.....

MattBMiller
08-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Paul....FYI...that 38 had sold when I got back in touch with him.

Ratickle
08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks, oh well.......

MattBMiller
08-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Curious what it went for...