PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel hitch???

Buoy
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Asking this question for a good friend of mine because I know we have experts here on this stuff.
He bought a new 250 SuperDuty over the weekend to haul his RV trailer. Extended cab, 8' bed.
Trailer usually sits in a park, but he's looking 2 weeks a year to haul to FL.
Asking for all your recommendations on a hitch, and supplier (Hey BUCK!!!).
Please chime in with advice that I can pass along.

buck
11-04-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm watching. ;)

"Seriously", the only fiver we do is the companion by B&W that fits into their gooseneck base like you have. It's kind of a pricey unit, but nice set up if you already have their goose. Our market demand hasn't shown any need for us to get heavily into the RV side of things. Keep in mind the majority of our customers are agricultural based. (just good old fashioned farmers)

The majority of the hitches on the market seem to be pretty much universal for the most part. That's a word we try to steer clear of as much as possible. The ones that seem to be vehicle specific look to be a little more pricey than my customers care to spend.

All that being said, I have seen some pretty nice fifth wheel hitches in customer's rigs. Some with air bags, some with quick release pins, not to mention the old fashion hitch with base plates. (personally I hate those things, just an opinion though)

I'm quite sure there will be some replies from the RV experienced side of our membership that will be more helpful than mine. I know I will follow this thread with hopes of learning about new products that might make our lives easier at the store.

PS...I know we talked briefly before but I can't remember, did they get you that part and take care of you?

Buck

buck
11-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I see your thread has taken off. ;)

Buck

smdude
11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I have a 02 F-250 7.3, and we use a Reese 15,000 lbs. 5th wheel hitch for our 34' Open Road champer. (about 13,000 GVW)

scottc
11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Look into the drawtite hideagoose. No ball sticking up when not in use.
PM me if you want more info.

buck
11-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Look into the drawtite hideagoose. No ball sticking up when not in use.
PM me if you want more info.

I believe he is looking for a fifth wheel instead of a gooseneck.

Buoy
11-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
This guy has no freakin' patience and went off and ordered something before I could even get him some info.
I don't know what the hell he bought...

catmando
11-14-2008, 11:08 PM
People who haul livestock and RVs use these. Expensive but well worth the money;

http://www.trailersaver.com/

http://www.airsafehitches.com/

Buoy
11-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Funny thing.
He bought the 5-th wheel, and is now needing to sell the 40' travel trailer he had to me.
I'm seriously considering moving to Florida in the next 2 month's - already have some opportunities. Wife has a job locked up, and I might just sell ice-cream sandwiches on the beach. So, we're good.
Crazy as it sounds, I just might do it.
BTW Buck - the house looks great - CONGRATS.
And yeah, I was one of the people you forgot to mention about the fireplace... I thought I was a Guru at something, but....

buck
11-17-2008, 01:52 PM
And yeah, I was one of the people you forgot to mention about the fireplace... I thought I was a Guru at something, but....

Dangit! I knew I was gonna put my foot in my mouth. I couldn't access that thread in the bilge because I haven't renewed my membership yet.

I'm I out of your "circle" now? :biggrinjester:

Buck

cigdaze
11-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Funny thing.
He bought the 5-th wheel, and is now needing to sell the 40' travel trailer he had to me.
I'm seriously considering moving to Florida in the next 2 month's - already have some opportunities. Wife has a job locked up, and I might just sell ice-cream sandwiches on the beach. So, we're good.

[OT interject:] I know a guy who makes damn near 6-figures manning a hot dog cart in from of home depot. Whatever works, right! :D
See you this weekend.

MarylandMark
11-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I have a Reese 16K- less than $1K installed at Camping World with 50%ish being labor. The hitch is removable- 2 rails say in the truck but all the time. 4 king pins hold it on the rails.

It looks easy to DIY but I have a knack for messing things up big time when tools are involved. Make sure to keep the original bolts for re-sale. If you try to sell a truck with a fiver hitch in it re-sale is out the window; they will assume you towed 50K LBS up hills all the time.

Air bags are nice- keeps the jolts to a minimum but not worth paying IMHO if going to be stationary most of the time.

Birdog
11-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I have a Reese 16K- less than $1K installed at Camping World with 50%ish being labor. The hitch is removable- 2 rails say in the truck but all the time. 4 king pins hold it on the rails.

It looks easy to DIY but I have a knack for messing things up big time when tools are involved. Make sure to keep the original bolts for re-sale. If you try to sell a truck with a fiver hitch in it re-sale is out the window; they will assume you towed 50K LBS up hills all the time.

Air bags are nice- keeps the jolts to a minimum but not worth paying IMHO if going to be stationary most of the time.

Did you end up buying a Domini ?...I am sold on the new Cameos...Just watching the prices drop

MarylandMark
11-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Did you end up buying a Domini ?...I am sold on the new Cameos...Just watching the prices drop

Nah- I like the look of them but don't really get much for the $$.

My RV Resort shuts down for the Winter. If my site doesn't sell by then I'm 99% sure a Cameo 35SB3 will be in my future around March 09. Hoping I can find a new leftover 08 for about 40% of retail.

For Sale Link (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcvqjrh3_68dqhzncdc&hl=en)

catmando
11-17-2008, 09:54 PM
It looks easy to DIY but I have a knack for messing things up big time when tools are involved. MarylandMark

I feel your pain. :(

MarylandMark
05-02-2009, 09:16 AM

You ever jump on one? I'm sold on the 32 or 36FWS (full wall slide). Waiting on a house deal but hope to get it sooner than later.

2009 $89K MSRP, got them to $53K and with tax and all was $57K out the door. I'm still waiting on a house deal to work out before buying it....