PDA

View Full Version : oil change...help me

drpete3
07-01-2009, 10:03 AM
ok having trouble getting the oil changed. cant get my tube down the dip stick all the way to the oil pan. debating just pulling the drain plug and empty into the bilge. or can i go down through my oil filter that comes from the external oil cooler

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-01-2009, 10:08 AM
If it is a Mercruiser it has a garden hose looking thing on the dipstick. That confirms the dipstick is intended to be pumped from. You can purchase a hand or electric pump and simply attach to top of dipstick.

Ratickle
07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
If you can figure out no other way than pulling the plug, make a drip pan with a fitting and a hose to run out the drain plug into another pan.

Basically an aluminum throw away pan, poke a hole in it, a double compression fitting deal, and a hose on it. Then keep the fittings and hose and throw the rest away....

And, buy the drainplug kit with the hose for next time.....:)

Warlock28SXT
07-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I've used the hand pump in the past with that little plastic hose on it. It was crap. I took the plastic hose off and put the rubber fitting that the hose was in over the dipstick tube. It makes a pretty good seal but I also put a zip tie around it. Worked great.

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
What year and motor do you have? .. Don't drain it in the bilge. Pauls idea works for motors with out pump out provisions or drain tubes.. The 496 and some newer inboards have a drain tube attached to bottom of pan. All other mercruisers from sometime in the mid '80's have the dipstick adapted to pump thru.

Sydwayz
07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Use a good pump, perhaps even pay a marina to pump it out for you once. Then pull your drain plug, and install the Mercury Drain Tube kit appropriate for your motor/pan. The tube extends out of your bilge drain hole, and you drain out every last drop of used oil. Pumping leaves as much as 1 full quart in the bottom of the pan. I like changing 100% of my oil, not 90%.

Davidmnc
07-01-2009, 10:44 AM
What year and motor do you have? .. Don't drain it in the bilge. Pauls idea works for motors with out pump out provisions or drain tubes.. The 496 and some newer inboards have a drain tube attached to bottom of pan. All other mercruisers from sometime in the mid '80's have the dipstick adapted to pump thru.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Geronimo36
07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Off topic but make sure you change the oil when it's hot... You'll be there forever if it's cold.

Get yourself a oil pan drain kit if you don't have the dipstick that goes to the bottom. Also, get the plastic tube and feed it thru the dipstick until it bottoms out.....

drpete3
07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I do have a dip stick with the garden hose type threads. So I went to the auto store and got some fuel line that Ill be able to connect to my extractor and to the dip stick with a couple of hose clamps. Mine looks kind of like this one

drpete3
07-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Oh the trouble with pulling the plug is that Im worried about gettign the plug or the mercruiser adapter back in. Its a Biatch to get my hand down there. My engine guy should have suggested this when he had the engine out

Magic Medicine
07-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh the trouble with pulling the plug is that Im worried about gettign the plug or the mercruiser adapter back in. Its a Biatch to get my hand down there. My engine guy should have suggested this when he had the engine out

that would have been nice. I tried to install one on my previous boat and it got the best of me and the plug went back in!

Seafordguy
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM

that would have been nice. I tried to install one on my previous boat and it got the best of me and the plug went back in!

I ended up just pulling the plug - spending a TON of time cleaning and them somehow magically hanging upside down in the bilge and getting uner the pan and getting the fittings in with hoses on the end. It was murder....

MOBILEMERCMAN
07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I do have a dip stick with the garden hose type threads. So I went to the auto store and got some fuel line that Ill be able to connect to my extractor and to the dip stick with a couple of hose clamps. Mine looks kind of like this one

Those work well too.

Chris
07-02-2009, 08:20 AM
You can't beat the Eickert engine pre-luber and power oil changer. Pull the QD, flip a switch and you're done.

gerritm
07-02-2009, 08:42 AM

I have one of these pumps also. If sealed around the dipstick and the oil is warm or hot it will create a vacuum and suck the oil right out. Does a good job. Problem is you have more oil in the pan than this can handle so have a bucket handy to dump it out when it gets full.

drpete3
07-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I have one of these pumps also. If sealed around the dipstick and the oil is warm or hot it will create a vacuum and suck the oil right out. Does a good job. Problem is you have more oil in the pan than this can handle so have a bucket handy to dump it out when it gets full.

gonna get it done this am.

Davidmnc
07-02-2009, 10:49 AM
You can do it!!!!

HPBoats83
08-09-2009, 01:21 AM
This is another way to go. I have this on my diesel truck so I can so oil samples. I don't have one on my boat because I can't get down there so I have to pump it through the dip stick. Click on the "N" Series at the top of the page.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

DAREDEVIL
08-09-2009, 01:28 AM
You can't beat the Eickert engine pre-luber and power oil changer. Pull the QD, flip a switch and you're done.

U got a link ?????