PDA

View Full Version : 9'6" width - Problem on the American Roadways?

Seafordguy
06-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Not asking about permits here, I am still doing that research, I am asking if it is physically a problem getting through anywhere - primarily from CT to VA???

Thinking back to when I bought my Cafe in CT I seem to recall a TON of really narrow places and this is a foot and a half wider (tolls, etc....)??? Of course as we all know after towing for a little while you get more used to it and in retrospect I might have a skewed view.

Would probably mostly be using I95/Route 1/Route 17 to get home.....

Any commentary from you guys would be appreciated....

Eric

BBB725
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I drive my motorhome all over the country and it's 8' 6" wide plus the mirrors, I don't see a problem but if it looks really wide the state patrol might have one.

glassdave
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
when we take the cat to races out east pretty much all the tool booths only have about three or four inches on each side (if were lucky) for clearance when we come through. go reeeeallll slow. we usually roll at night so most we hit after midnight. We're just under 11 feet i think other then the tool booths its not to bad.

Seafordguy
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
My research shows that all federally sponsored Interstates must be 12' wide and the Jersey TP also shows that it is 12' wide..... I think it will be okay, just curious. 9'6" isn't real wide..... Thanks for your input guys...

BUIZILLA
06-23-2009, 07:45 PM
don't you need a permit for over 102" ??

Ratickle
06-23-2009, 10:58 PM
don't you need a permit for over 102" ??

Only if you get caught.

Seriously, I'd look into it and decide then whether you want to chance it or not.

All of the Black Thunder towers go through this dilemma everytime we tow.

Bgchuby01
06-23-2009, 11:18 PM
I would tow that with no thought in mind. Unless you run into an azzhole trooper that knows his stuff I would not worry about it. I have come across all the bridges out of long island onto the jersey turnpike south with 36 nor tech cats and never had a problem

PatriYacht
06-24-2009, 08:17 AM
We've been towing our Black Thunder for 5 years now and never had a problem. 9'6" wide.

Seafordguy
06-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Looking at securing the permits for all of those states looks to be a real hassle. I think we will just take our chances.....9'6" doesn't seem like it should be a real problem.

Thanks BgChuby - appreciate the input....

Clustergear
06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
NYS 96'' unless roadway is an interstate or qualifying highway or access highway. A qualifying highway is usally a roadway leeding to a truck terminal (that the company has applied to the state for the road to be a qualifying highway) Access highway is usally a road between two interstates. You can find list on NYS DOT site

NY State V&T

385-1A width- 102" qualifying or access highway, other highway with 10' lanes 96" all other roads

385-2 height 13' 2" maximum

385-4A lenght combination 65' maximum

if not above you need a oversize permit Just remember if you run into soneone up on the laws it the end of the trip!!!!!! and they can impound the truck and trailer... Very expense tow!!!

animalhouse
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
9'6 will not be an issue. I hatowed a 38 Center Console all over the country at 10'6 and fit through all major toll booths. If going from CT to virginia, I would reccomend I95 S - 287 S - 78 W - 81 S - Rt. 66 E - 17S. That will put you in Fredricksburg VA and keep you under the radar. There are no Southbound Tolls on that route, and minimal traffic uke Jersey - VA sate line on the turnpike.

wild thang
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I came thru Maryland into Virginia on the Eastern shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnelat 2:30 AM on a Suday night. Got to the toll booth, payed the twenty something dollars, before I could pull off the offiecers came running out of the office building waving. Kept me there while they measured ghe Top Gun width and trailer width. Then they charged me 65.00 dollars to go thru. I think the trailer was 9' 6". If it had been wider I would of needed a permit to cross. So be carefull, I guess someone inside woke up as I pulled up to the booth, or my Ford PS woke them up.

Seafordguy
07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I came thru Maryland into Virginia on the Eastern shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnelat 2:30 AM on a Suday night. Got to the toll booth, payed the twenty something dollars, before I could pull off the offiecers came running out of the office building waving. Kept me there while they measured ghe Top Gun width and trailer width. Then they charged me 65.00 dollars to go thru. I think the trailer was 9' 6". If it had been wider I would of needed a permit to cross. So be carefull, I guess someone inside woke up as I pulled up to the booth, or my Ford PS woke them up.

I imagine your TG trailer was 8'6" - that was what both my manning and my current trailer and is the max w/o a permit (102").

We made it with little fan fare, and no regulatory problems. Scraped through on a couple tolls but overall wasn't too bad. Most had about 6 inches on both sides.

Came down 95, then around NYC on 287, then back on 95, and followed that into Richmond where we hopped on 64.

Blew a tire outside of Ashland, VA and limped to a truckstop. You have to hand it to 3 axle trailers; the tire had completely disentegrated and we didn't even know it - someone pointed it out to us at 65 mph...

In retrospect, I wish we would have gotten the permits just so I would have FELT better about it, and not worried.

It also turned out to be a little over 13' high and the first couple overpasses we went under turned my pants brown...

t500hps
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
I imagine your TG trailer was 8'6" - that was what both my manning and my current trailer and is the max w/o a permit (102").

We made it with little fan fare, and no regulatory problems. Scraped through on a couple tolls but overall wasn't too bad. Most had about 6 inches on both sides.

Came down 95, then around NYC on 287, then back on 95, and followed that into Richmond where we hopped on 64.

Blew a tire outside of Ashland, VA and limped to a truckstop. You have to hand it to 3 axle trailers; the tire had completely disentegrated and we didn't even know it - someone pointed it out to us at 65 mph...

In retrospect, I wish we would have gotten the permits just so I would have FELT better about it, and not worried.

It also turned out to be a little over 13' high and the first couple overpasses we went under turned my pants brown...

Truck stop at Lewistown road???? That is 2-3 miles from my house!!!!! Were they any browner than the HRPA run last summer??? :)

Seafordguy
07-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Truck stop at Lewistown road???? That is 2-3 miles from my house!!!!! Were they any browner than the HRPA run last summer??? :)

Is Lewistown Rd exit 92? Or is Lewistown Rd the next one down - closer to the mall??

T500hps - I am not sure you need to be addressing MY underwear...:26::sifone:

t500hps
07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Is Lewistown Rd exit 92? Or is Lewistown Rd the next one down - closer to the mall??

T500hps - I am not sure you need to be addressing MY underwear...:26::sifone:

exit 92 is Rt54 (Ashland). I'm a mile off exit 86 (across 95 from the mall).

Keep your underwear BELOW your nipples and the rest of us won't NEED to address them!!! :willy_nilly::rofl: