PDA

View Full Version : Rat Rod---------?????

cosmic12
06-20-2009, 10:04 PM
I can't aford a boat for a while (not what I want anyway) I got the house just about done so I got myself a project:ack2: Last Tuesday the 9th. Goning to take some time

cosmic12
06-20-2009, 10:11 PM
this is Thursday12th, it will be shortened, chopped, channeled, and few other tricks. Need to move the cowl back and widen it by 8 inch's

Buoy
06-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Cool project Mark!!!!
Keep us posted with photos!
I was just going through an online photo album today that had a bunch of old rat-racers in it, and I was getting a jones.
What do you have in mind for power?
Any name picked out for it yet?? I suggest "Butcher":sifone:

glassdave
06-20-2009, 10:58 PM
fuggin aye! nice RAT rod man!:cool:

cosmic12
06-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Very late last night, cowl has been opened up 8inchs and reattched to new rockers and supports the top now has 4inch's out of it, oh ya, its 28 inch's shorter . Still alot of work to do. How about Fuggly?

Ratickle
06-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Nice project.

Do you have enough rake in the top? Other than that is hard to tell, it's lookin good.

cosmic12
06-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Nice project.

Do you have enough rake in the top? Other than that is hard to tell, it's lookin good.

The top is just sitt'n on there in that shot, I just had to see what it was shape'n up like, I hope it will have the proper rake. The plan is to have only

about 8 inchs of glass. It will be fenderless and I am thinking about some sort of weird Roth style grill shell :ie B-Bandit- Mysterian. Time will tell.

Ratickle
06-21-2009, 10:44 AM
The top is just sitt'n on there in that shot, I just had to see what it was shape'n up like, I hope it will have the proper rake. The plan is to have only

about 8 inchs of glass. It will be fenderless and I am thinking about some sort of weird Roth style grill shell :ie B-Bandit- Mysterian. Time will tell.

I've got all the books about Roth. Let me know if you need any pics copied and sent.

Someday I will do another '55 Chev Sedan delivery again.

cosmic12
06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Tim, Power will be a chevy inline 6cyl 250cuin w/3 singles strombergs and a power glide W/ GM 10 bolt rear. I have 5 -18" wire wheels from a 33 Chyrs.that I hope to use for wheels with wide whites of course.

Perlmudder
06-22-2009, 12:30 AM
so COOL! i love rat rods, they are just so neat!

MattBMiller
06-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Going to be sweet! Keep up the pics!

Gladhe8er
06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Definitely got your work cut out for you, but It will be sweet when done. Keep up posted on the progress.

cosmic12
06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Started getting the roof attached last night untill I got distracted while grinding with a 4" makita grinder and ground off a bunch of my right thumb:ack2:. Ya never know how much you use your thumbs untill you can't:blush5:

cosmic12
06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
The top is close so I had to lay a hood on there just to see what it will someday kinda look like. That is not the hood I will be useing its what came with the car, I think its a 39-40 Chev. I have my eye on a 39 Buick super 8 hood but we will see.

Sea-Dated
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Keep the pics coming......

cosmic12
07-23-2009, 07:11 AM
I spent the night putting some more of the puzzle togeather, the cowl is almost done.
Had to build a frame for the windshield to keep it all stright.

cosmic12
07-23-2009, 07:15 AM
The old set up solid 326 V/8 that was in it is finally gone.
We now have 6 in a row in the house:driving:

Ratickle
07-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Sweet Mark.......

Must be nice to have a project like that to unwind with sometimes......:sifone:

cosmic12
07-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Sweet Mark.......

Must be nice to have a project like that to unwind with sometimes......:sifone:

You have no idea what a hammer in hand and beating on metal can do.
I needed it bad last night and you know why:boxing_smiley:

cosmic12
07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Got some new parts this weekend.
The hood - 1937 Buick
The grill and grill shell 1938 Lasalle
Its just kinda sitting there but you get the Idea.
Now I just need to make it all fit.:ack2::confused:

MattBMiller
07-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Starting to come together! Looks great!

Dude! Sweet!
08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Pretty cool, reminds me of an old Jalopy dirt car. Syracuse Mile, here you come! :sifone:

Audiofn
08-27-2009, 08:08 AM
When I saw your last picture this is what I thought of. Bugatti type 57. May give you some ideas.

Roger 1
08-27-2009, 01:30 PM
When I saw your last picture this is what I thought of. Bugatti type 57. May give you some ideas.

Yeah, that's the ticket!! Let's cut up a Bugatti!!!:smash::smilielol5:

pullmytrigger
08-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I think Im going to go the Rat Rod route with my 69 chevelle on a 1999 Winston Cup chassis....In the end it will look like the Nova in the pics, right on the ground with the tires all hanging out except with a flat black rattle can paint job, chrome wheels and at least 500 sbc hp.......it will start out as a track day car but I eventually want to make it street legal with bare minimum lights and wipers and such

Davidmnc
08-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I think Im going to go the Rat Rod route with my 69 chevelle on a 1999 Winston Cup chassis....In the end it will look like the Nova in the pics, right on the ground with the tires all hanging out except with a flat black rattle can paint job, chrome wheels and at least 500 sbc hp.......it will start out as a track day car but I eventually want to make it street legal with bare minimum lights and wipers and such

Do you know the history of the cup car?

Audiofn
08-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, that's the ticket!! Let's cut up a Bugatti!!!:smash::smilielol5:

I worked at the place that restored that car.

pullmytrigger
08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Do you know the history of the cup car?

I went to Mooresville NC and bought it off an ARCA team situated about a mile down the road from DEI.....1999 is Pre Cup serial numbers so its really difficult to trace its Cup history with any absolute certainty.....however you can easily see the car was once bright red and its a Hutch Pagan car......DEI used Hutch Pagans so Im saying its an ex Dale Jr car!!!:biggrinjester:......thats my story and Im stickin' to it!!!!:willy_nilly::rofl:

seriously the team (guy) I bought it off had 28, yes 28! race cars at his shop (I counted them).....I believe him when he says he doesnt remember too much about the history of my particular car....

didnt mean to hi jack your thread.....my apologies

Roger 1
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I worked at the place that restored that car.

Cool! Classy looking car.

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I went to Mooresville NC and bought it off an ARCA team situated about a mile down the road from DEI.....1999 is Pre Cup serial numbers so its really difficult to trace its Cup history with any absolute certainty.....however you can easily see the car was once bright red and its a Hutch Pagan car......DEI used Hutch Pagans so Im saying its an ex Dale Jr car!!!:biggrinjester:......thats my story and Im stickin' to it!!!!:willy_nilly::rofl:

seriously the team (guy) I bought it off had 28, yes 28! race cars at his shop (I counted them).....I believe him when he says he doesnt remember too much about the history of my particular car....

didnt mean to hi jack your thread.....my apologies

Nice. I remember seeing that back on the other site... With the amount of cars cup teams have, I think that it is going to be the exceptionally rare stock car that has any provable history that makes it worth a sh!t... It's not like it's one of four Ferrari 312 GP cars from 1981...

This is a great idea and looks like a great project. Is it a big spring car or a coilover car? I'd like to do something similar with an old Riggins coil over GT1 chassis but use a glass body instead of steel... Or use one of those Chinese Camaro bodies.

Dude! Sweet!
09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Looks like a big spring car in the blown up pic huh?

pullmytrigger
09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Nice. I remember seeing that back on the other site... With the amount of cars cup teams have, I think that it is going to be the exceptionally rare stock car that has any provable history that makes it worth a sh!t... It's not like it's one of four Ferrari 312 GP cars from 1981...

This is a great idea and looks like a great project. Is it a big spring car or a coilover car? I'd like to do something similar with an old Riggins coil over GT1 chassis but use a glass body instead of steel... Or use one of those Chinese Camaro bodies.

Actually if the car was a couple of years newer and had a Nascar serial number pounded into it, it would be very easy to tell the history through Nascar.....Nascar started doing that to keep track of cars that had trouble making it through inspection.....its like "Oh this thing......says here we nailed this car at Charlotte last fall for a too low left rear quarter panel height and a non approved air box..... we'll hafta' double check that today....." they started out with serial numbers pounded in, today they have bar codes...... I think SCCA has the similar "log book".

its a big spring small bar car as opposed to a big bar small spring car that they use today although you can buy a kit from any of the chassis builders to convert the car to a bbss set up if you want.....Cup cars,all Busch,Craftsman Truck, ARCA, Hooters Cup have never been coil over cars front or rear like a typical Late Model like a Port City or a Howe......they are the classic Nascar set up with conventional springs and A arms up front and those 4 ft long truck arms out back again with conventional springs .....

I looked at some old Trans Am cars and I found that #1 they were pretty expensive #2 the entire passenger side of the car was filled with headers and exhaust and there was sort of a cocoon around the driver, not easy to make a spot for a passenger and an exhaust system under the car.....the later ones have a ton of carbon fiber so if you crash it the tub shatters and the car is junk.....the cup car still has a conventional floor pan and firewall with exhaust under the car and to make a spot for a passenger you cut a few of the bars out and put in a seat......here's some shots of the Wilwood GT6000 front brakes and front suspension....36mm thick rotors.

pullmytrigger
09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
hows this for an exhaust system! (came with the car) and a couple of shots from around the shop

imco offshore
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Got some new parts this weekend.
The hood - 1937 Buick
The grill and grill shell 1938 Lasalle
Its just kinda sitting there but you get the Idea.
Now I just need to make it all fit.:ack2::confused:

that cool , keep the pic,c comming... i,m in the middle of a 65 chevelle ss 4 speed car and starting on a 49 2 dr hudson this winter, (rat rod)

cosmic12
09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
that cool , keep the pic,c comming... i,m in the middle of a 65 chevelle ss 4 speed car and starting on a 49 2 dr hudson this winter, (rat rod)

I haven't gotten much done over the last month or so, out on the road working and lost my father in law and my dad isn't doing so well.
Needless to say its on the back burner for a while:(
Post some pics of the Hudson that should be a very cool ride, I have always wanted to do a Hornet after haveing a 49 and 50 Merc chopped and in the weeds. A Hudson would have been so different and unique.

dykstra
09-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Love rat rods!

cosmic12
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM
They are way cool,

Perlmudder
09-14-2009, 07:39 PM
They are way cool,

so cool!!!:drool5:

SickSation
09-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Looks good man. Heres my sled. 39 Cadillac Lasalle Ambulance/Hurst. This is a 3 yr. old pic. Not much has changed other than i put glass in it. It makes my super duty look like a ranger. :rofl:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/Sickinnovations/caddyside.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/Sickinnovations/caddyfront.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/Sickinnovations/caddyontrucksidepic.jpg

Ratickle
09-29-2009, 08:52 AM
That thig's cool. We should all take it to Key West for the World's....

cosmic12
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Well I finally got a few days off and have been out in the garage beat'n and a bang'n with sparks fly'n pizz'n off the wife.
the top is getting there and I started the door frames today.
Really sucked having to widen the roof almost 10 inches,(remember this was a 4 door to start with.

cosmic12
11-01-2009, 09:41 PM
couple more

imco offshore
11-02-2009, 10:15 AM
thats really cool , i,m almost done with my 65 ss (chevelle) just have to put the interior back in,,,, THEN my rat a twin 350,s 49 ,,2 door broham hudson 700r4+overdrive 1968 jaguar rearend, the drive line has already been fitted ,and removed ,,all has been rebuilt and ready to reinnstall,,,but i,m not real good with body work, so i saved the dredded for last,,, keep the pic,s comming it gives me hope and motovation thanks george jr.

cosmic12
11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
thats really cool , i,m almost done with my 65 ss (chevelle) just have to put the interior back in,,,, THEN my rat a twin 350,s 49 ,,2 door broham hudson 700r4+overdrive 1968 jaguar rearend, the drive line has already been fitted ,and removed ,,all has been rebuilt and ready to reinnstall,,,but i,m not real good with body work, so i saved the dredded for last,,, keep the pic,s comming it gives me hope and motovation thanks george jr.

Get some pics of them on here for us!!!! I really want to see the Hudson.
What does TWIN 350 meen?
I know all about the motovation thing, sometimes I look at my "puzzle" and wonder WTF am I doin here with this junk? and then I spent a day on it and make just a little progress like the upper door frame I just tacked togeather and see the huge change it made and I am all fired up again.
I just want to get the top done so I can get it channeled and down in the weeds and then I will really excited .

Perlmudder
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
man that thing is sweet! always thought they were just super cool lookng!

imco offshore
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Get some pics of them on here for us!!!! I really want to see the Hudson.
What does TWIN 350 meen?
I know all about the motovation thing, sometimes I look at my "puzzle" and wonder WTF am I doin here with this junk? and then I spent a day on it and make just a little progress like the upper door frame I just tacked togeather and see the huge change it made and I am all fired up again.
I just want to get the top done so I can get it channeled and down in the weeds and then I will really excited .

i,mnot trying to be funny,,, but twin means 2,,,two yes two engines!! the hudson has a hood like the old eldorados had and i put two 350.s in line UNDER the hood,, i,ll put some pic,s up i,v got to move some things out of the way it,s been done about a year now ,,so you know what gets piled up on that stuff, :driving:

imco offshore
11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
heres come pic,s

imco offshore
11-02-2009, 12:33 PM
chevelle

cosmic12
11-02-2009, 12:46 PM
HOLY CHIT!!!!!!!! thats just way to cool!!!!! It really fits?
Man you gotta get that done and driveing, I hope you plan on lowering that lid.

imco offshore
11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
it,s already been all put together,, the motors sound like a lamborgini, v-16 two sets of headers going into one,,really cool,, it,s my winter project, i have a body man starting to work on it 1st of dec, he said it will be done 1st feb running,

Dude! Sweet!
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
it,s already been all put together,, the motors sound like a lamborgini, v-16 two sets of headers going into one,,really cool,, it,s my winter project, i have a body man starting to work on it 1st of dec, he said it will be done 1st feb running,

Awesome! My buddy saw that tube chassis twin motor car (from Hot Rod a couple months back) up on Mulholland last weekend. That's a wicked brand of craziness! :sifone:

cosmic12
11-03-2009, 10:38 PM

Will the back motor be inside or under the cowel?
That is neat ride for sure.
I wanted to try 2 inline 6's side by side thought that would have been cool because the car is so wide now but couldn't think of any cheap way to hook'em togeather into one tranny.

Scarab KV
11-03-2009, 10:54 PM
These are some pretty cool projects.

Ratickle
11-03-2009, 10:56 PM
That's really sweet George.......

You should make a boat with the same setup and tow it around with that mean bastage....:sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-04-2009, 12:41 AM
i,v got to move some things out of the way it,s been done about a year now ,,so you know what gets piled up on that stuff, :driving:

Piled up ...Your not kidding.. I see why you are selling off stuff.

How many things have you found you forgot about?.:rofl:

Cool cars non the less.

Scarab KV
11-04-2009, 01:28 AM

Cool cars non the less.

Looks like my garage and basement since we moved half of the store home.

imco offshore
11-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Cool cars non the less.

i found an edger,,,a palet of hair of the dog...all the tools to refill shot gun shells.....lolol that is a three car garage on the house we can,t get in...the shop is 26x36 and can barelly get the chevelle in ,,, and it has lathes,drill press,,7ft band saw..too much to mention,,that y we are selling off everything this winter , and in feb, i,m calling in a dumpster,and someone is going to get a lot of stuff. one of my winter honey does,,,:USA:

imco offshore
11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I wanted to try 2 inline 6's side by side thought that would have been cool because the car is so wide now but couldn't think of any cheap way to hook'em togeather into one tranny.

i had to pound out for the bellhousing and distributor,, but it,s all up front on a streched camaro clip (34in) ,i,m going to try to bring it to biloxi,

cosmic12
11-09-2009, 08:07 PM
More progress............
The old nasty front end is finally gone, it had to be 500 lbs.
In it place is a 47 Ford axle and spindles that now have late model GM disk brakes, I split the wish bone and put on a set of 1/4 eliptical springs and got a nice ride hight.

Biggus
11-09-2009, 08:18 PM
That's gonna be a cool ride!

imco offshore
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
cool cosmic,,, have you picked paint,,primer,,,or ccolors,,, i got my seats back fri, i,m going to get new flooring tomorrow,,, listen if you need anything from N,P,D, they are down the street from me, let me know i can go get it and send it up..

cosmic12
11-10-2009, 02:38 AM
I am looking but haven't had any luck yet....for wheels I need 14 or 15 frt----skinny 5"
15 to 18 rear----Fat with a reverse off set. Don't want chrome, would really like older 5 spoke alum with grey spokes. There is a few odds and ends but I have most of what I need for now What is N.P.D.?

dykstra
11-10-2009, 06:33 AM
I think NPD stands for National Parts Depot.

imco offshore
11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I am looking but haven't had any luck yet....for wheels I need 14 or 15 frt----skinny 5"
15 to 18 rear----Fat with a reverse off set. Don't want chrome, would really like older 5 spoke alum with grey spokes. There is a few odds and ends but I have most of what I need for now What is N.P.D.?

what bolt pattern do you have? we have something called ,,,turkey rod run,,,in daytona speedway for 4 days during thanksgiving weekend, it,s a giant swap meet and hotrod car show,,,, i can look for ya,,, it takes all 4 days to go thru all the venders,,we take the toterhome and stay there,,

cosmic12
11-11-2009, 12:04 AM
That sounds like great fun!!!
Bolt pattern is 5x4.75 GM
Still looking for Chev inline 6 hot rod parts also..194 - 215 -230 -250 -292.
I have a 250 now for it but made a deal on a 292 so I will run the 250 and build the chit outa the 292. The books say its an easy 500hp for the street.
It would be so cool to do smoken burn outs and then show'em a little old stright 6:rofl:

cosmic12
11-13-2009, 09:32 PM
with the new frt end I was able to roll it outside today. First time its seen the sun since I brought it home.
Now I can see that it needs so badly to be channeled, gotta get that body dropped about 6"s, but saddly I am done for a while I leave Monday for Ill. untill X-mas.

imco offshore
11-13-2009, 11:32 PM
looks good. can,t wait to see it droped

Trim'd Up
11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Definitely needs dropped. Looks good though. Sorry to here about going to IL for so long. I live here, I know. :D

Buoy
11-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Looks kicking Mark!
can't wait to see more progress -looks like you're coming along well.

pullmytrigger
11-14-2009, 12:47 PM
That sounds like great fun!!!
Bolt pattern is 5x4.75 GM
Still looking for Chev inline 6 hot rod parts also..194 - 215 -230 -250 -292.
I have a 250 now for it but made a deal on a 292 so I will run the 250 and build the chit outa the 292. The books say its an easy 500hp for the street.
It would be so cool to do smoken burn outs and then show'em a little old stright 6:rofl:

for 6cyl go fast parts google around for some vintage stock car racing club sites in your area and look in their classified sections.....some of them have classes that require running an inline 6......heres a club where the only mill you can run is an inline 6.... www.vintagemods.com go to "message boards"......and theres always www.speedwaymotors.com tons of cool stuff there.

cosmic12
11-24-2009, 09:36 AM
for 6cyl go fast parts google around for some vintage stock car racing club sites in your area and look in their classified sections.....some of them have classes that require running an inline 6......heres a club where the only mill you can run is an inline 6.... www.vintagemods.com go to "message boards"......and theres always www.speedwaymotors.com tons of cool stuff there.

I have gotten parts from Speedway, thanks for the other link also.

I have joined the only other fourm I visit besides SOS.
www.killbillit.com very cool site just rat rod stuff for the most part.
I don't know if I will be able to spend much time there, I have duties here and this is where my heart is.:drool5:

imco offshore
11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
hey cosmic,,i was putting the finishing wiring in the 65 sat, and the damn wiring fuse junction box desided to melt down,, someone jumped something in it to put on a 4 way flasher,instead of useing the turn signal loom, and i didn,t know it soooo. had to order a new wiring harness for the dash,,,when your ready to wire ,,look into ,,AMERICAN WIRING really cool and reasonabley priced. good luck, close to starting on the 49!!

cosmic12
11-24-2009, 07:10 PM
That sucks, I hate letting the smoke out of wires:ack2:
Good luck with that.
Get the Hudson going will ya........That is going to be one BAD AZZ ride.

I am madly trying to find wheels and tires, man that chit ain't cheap!!!!
I need them to be able to set up the chassis and before I channel it.
This was supposd to be a low buck quickie. NOT!!!!!!! I say not going to happen.

imco offshore
11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
i have a set of 15 x8 rally rims with 10 tires on them,,, i could send to ya ,,if it would help. pm me your address if they will work

cosmic12
11-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Thank you very generous of you.
I am watching some old stuff on e-bay some smoothies or old American TQ thrust 5 spoke alum mags gray spokes alum outer rim. Don't want anything to shiney on this turd.

DONZI
11-24-2009, 08:13 PM
I have joined the only other fourm I visit besides SOS.
www.killbillit.com very cool site just rat rod stuff for the most part.
I don't know if I will be able to spend much time there, I have duties here and this is where my heart is.:drool5:
Great project !

Try this site also and post up your project there also.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Great info and hardcore Ratrodders !

Love the Ratrods !

imco offshore
11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Thank you very generous of you.
I am watching some old stuff on e-bay some smoothies or old American TQ thrust 5 spoke alum mags gray spokes alum outer rim. Don't want anything to shiney on this turd.

ok i,m going to the turkey rod run friday i,ll keep my eyes open,and get some phone numbers,for ya.

cosmic12
11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
ok i,m going to the turkey rod run friday i,ll keep my eyes open,and get some phone numbers,for ya.

I got a set of 15x5 smoothies for the front and 16x8 rears. Today
Now tires.:driving:

cosmic12
12-05-2009, 01:19 AM

So how was the turkey run?
Get any pics?

aero tek 30
12-05-2009, 06:59 AM
i got some ratrod thing going on here in germany too

it was a 29 citroen C4 delivery, i shrtend the body, chopped and chaneld it.
i think is a bit different. i called that thing "old Ugh"
see more details @ www.bruemmel.com

stefan

cosmic12
12-05-2009, 09:29 AM
i got some ratrod thing going on here in germany too

it was a 29 citroen C4 delivery, i shrtend the body, chopped and chaneld it.
i think is a bit different. i called that thing "old Ugh"
see more details @ www.bruemmel.com

stefan

Very cool, I like it alot!!!!! Never knew Citroen made anything that looked like that.

cosmic12
01-17-2010, 05:54 PM
OK!!! its been awhile and I haven't had time to work on the Puzzle but I got to it on friday and it is finally CHANNELED!!!!! made so much difference in how it looks.
From the ground to the roof 54" I love it when a plan come togeather:driving:

cosmic12
01-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Here is a quick before and after, what difference:ack2:

Ratickle
01-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Sweet. Can't wait to see that running around.....

cosmic12
01-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Sweet. Can't wait to see that running around.....

It'll be a while yet:( but now its just finish up the last few bits of welding and fit'n more odd parts togeather:smash:

MattBMiller
01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Project is looking great!!

pullmytrigger
01-19-2010, 11:45 PM
It'll be a while yet:( but now its just finish up the last few bits of welding and fit'n more odd parts togeather:smash:

Looks good!

but you need to slow down....your making me look bad......:(:sifone:

imco offshore
01-19-2010, 11:51 PM
yea me too!!!

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 12:14 AM
yea me too!!!

Come on:smash: that Hudson should be on the road by now:driving:

We need an update on it soon:sifone:

Buoy
01-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Looks great Mark!!
Keep us posted!

Have you chosen finish colors? What do you have in mind?
I would like to see a candy blue, and white. I just think it's befitting of the car.
Nice work, can't wait to see the next progress.

imco offshore
01-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Come on:smash: that Hudson should be on the road by now:driving:

We need an update on it soon:sifone:

i,m trying to get the guts to drop the top like you did ,,what a big differance looks great...i just don,t know where to start..I did finish the 65 ss chevelle.

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 10:00 AM
There are a bunch of mags out there with articals on wack'n 49-51 Merc's and there isn't alot of difference. Its not that big of a deal I have done a 49 and a 50 Merc also did a 47 Ford and found out that a 49/50 Merc roof fit perfectly without even haveing to strech or widen it. Just have to study it and measure what is needed to comensate for the angle in the posts.
It would look soooooooooo good chopped, wish I had the time I would come down and help ya, it would be great fun.

Just found one in my piles of mags.....Rod & Custom July 2009 artical and pics with Bill Hines the king of chops.
Its not as hard as you think if you have a good Mig, hell I used to do it with a torch and coat hangers way back when.
Thank the lord for the Mig
If you want that mag I will send it to ya, CHOP IT!!!!!

imco offshore
01-22-2010, 10:05 AM
thanks i,ll look for some " info for dummies" books,,, I found a book on frenching the headlights,after buying it reading it , some kid walked up and said why don,t you just use 78 cordova lights ,their allready frenched...so that is what scares me..

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Looks great Mark!!
Keep us posted!

Have you chosen finish colors? What do you have in mind?
I would like to see a candy blue, and white. I just think it's befitting of the car.
Nice work, can't wait to see the next progress.

Tim, the plan was to leave the rust (IE; Rat) but now it looks like it will be Black as in FLAT black with red/white 50's style pin strips and red smoothie wheels/baby moon centers.
The plan has also changed for the grill and hood, after I channeled it the grill is about a foot to tall so now it will be layed on its side with some added sheet metal work so I can put canted quad headlites frenched into it with just side panels and the top (no hood) open, will be kinda like some thing that was done by Ed Roth/ Dean Jefferies back in the day.

Here is a very quick sketch I just did to give ya an idea:eek:

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 10:28 AM
thanks i,ll look for some " info for dummies" books,,, I found a book on frenching the headlights,after buying it reading it , some kid walked up and said why don,t you just use 78 cordova lights ,their allready frenched...so that is what scares me..

The worst part about frenching the lights is mounting the buckets from the rear so you can pull them off to change a bad bulb. And that is a pain in itself
There are kits out now that make it so easy.

Dude! Sweet!
01-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Looking good Mark! Man, the internet is going to bankrupt me yet... Everytime I see a cool project I want to build one too!

I've actually been digging on an old school '70s style T bucket lately... Totally over the top way to get around town!

Keep up the good work man!

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Looking good Mark! Man, the internet is going to bankrupt me yet... Everytime I see a cool project I want to build one too!

I've actually been digging on an old school '70s style T bucket lately... Totally over the top way to get around town!

Keep up the good work man!

Thanks, now you see why I'm not in a big hurry for the project boat:ack2:

T-Buckets are cool....But someone and it might be me needs to take them a step further.............
As in... take a 50s or early 60s car like a 59 caddy/ 59 chev cut it at the door jamb (rear) move the cowel back to that point with a chopped windshield remove front 2/3s of the deck lid make that the cockpit and leave all the trim, sides and rear and narrow the nose and you got a very different cool bucket. I have found a 1960 Desoto that just might be next.
Its the begining of a new style that could be called.....ODD RODS

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Sean, something like this???? 59 Chev
please forgive the art work as it is very quick but earier to make my point.
And being in Ca. you got alot of talent out there to pull something like this off.

ODD RODS.....start something new!

Dude! Sweet!
01-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Odd Rods... I dig the name. Picture kind of reminds me of Roth's Orbitron or the twin motor car that looks like the Orbitron (did a quick internet search - Mysterion). Not something entirely new, but still super cool.

I really dig the big "F/U" that a straight up, metalflake '70's freakout painted T-bucket hands out when you see it roll by. It's not original. It's not really "cool" in the modern Rat or Pro Touring scenes...

It's like a '70's blow and wife swapping party on wheels. Totally socially unacceptable. :sifone:

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
LMAO!! 70's blow and swing party!!!!!!!! WOW! I haven't heard that in age's
I am getting old

But yes very Roth like stuff, he is one of my child hood hero's

So get build'n:smash::rolleyes:

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I had this in die cast sent it to Paul (Ratickle) about the same time you got the funnies and rails. Very cool die cast

Dude! Sweet!
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
LMAO!! 70's blow and swing party!!!!!!!! WOW! I haven't heard that in age's
I am getting old

But yes very Roth like stuff, he is one of my child hood hero's

So get build'n:smash::rolleyes:

I've got two boats and a drag car to get through first... :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
01-22-2010, 03:43 PM
I had this in die cast sent it to Paul (Ratickle) about the same time you got the funnies and rails. Very cool die cast

Beatnik baby! Very cool. Roth was the man. Such a great era in SoCal Freak culture. Roth, Von Dutch, Barris, Ivo...

Dude! Sweet!
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Just ran across this on the OC Craig's list...

Ed Roth T bucket built in 1969 called "The Rigshaw". Was in Hot Rod magazine, Car Craft, Oakland roadster show, etc. This is one rare piece, It has corver power plant, 150 inch wheelbase, built like dragster. With dragster front wheels, spun aluminum tank, Drop axle, all chrome, street legal. Needs paint & interior. Runs beautiful! One very unique piece! Chance of a lifetime $5500 or best offer.
949-235-8762

http://ruffrodders.com/forum/showthread.php?p=479681

cosmic12
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
There ya go!!! I gotta wonder about that frame though, not much up front of the fire wall:eek: I wonder how you could prove it was a Roth build.:confused:

Just got back in from cleaning the garage and rolled the Puzzle outside.
We have sun today!!!!

cosmic12
01-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I spent most of the day Friday finishing up the side window openings with all the little parts I had to make to fill in the holes left from chopping the top,there was about 14 small parts that had to be welded and hammered to fit (The Puzzle) Also removed the dip rail.
Well....... being the dumbazz I am and in a hurry I was tacking and the helmit was just being a pain so I just kept going without it and guess what?........ I flash burned my eyes!!!!! Man that hurts:eek: just like someone dumped sand in"em :ack2:
I spent most of Saterday lying around in pain with my eyes closed.

Went out in the garage today to find I actually got it just about done!!!!!!!!!

Before and after pics

cosmic12
03-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Today I finally got my wheels and tires all mounted bal and on the car.
Now I can set the sys and build the blocks to get the rear down a few more inch's.

cosmic12
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I also got the steering box mounted along with a new front cross member.
I have got my dash mock up done also, I have new Dolphin Speedo/Tech/temp/oil pres/volt/fuel/clock on the way for this set up.
Its from a 59 Impala and I have added one large pod and 1/2 of a small set for the clock in the center. The exrta small one left over from cutting one of the double pods will have the steering coloum going through it in the center. What do ya think about that lay out?
I have to make the back where all the pods mount about 10"s wider and then graft it all to the stock dash:eek:

cosmic12
03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Look!!! The UPS man made me very happy about an hour ago!!!:USA:
Now I really gotta get to work and widen the dash to hold all the extra pods.
Been a real good day for new parts!!!

cosmic12
03-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Today I needed some therapy so I went out and did some beat'n and bang'n.
Formed the floor side panels and built or started building the rockers.
I so wish I had a bending break.
Its amazing how much better you can feel after a few hours of beating metal.

sonicss31
03-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Now thats a project. Where's the wheel guard on that grinder. Be careful. Just bustin your chops. Good Luck

phragle
03-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Harbor frieght has a few...something like that Harbor Frieght quality would be fine.

imco offshore
03-24-2010, 09:33 PM
hey cosmic took out the engines today and started them up ,,getting ready to get back on the 49 Hudson,,,yours is looking great,,thanks for the pic,s:cheers2:

cosmic12
03-24-2010, 10:06 PM
hey cosmic took out the engines today and started them up ,,getting ready to get back on the 49 Hudson,,,yours is looking great,,thanks for the pic,s:cheers2:

I thought you would have the body back on it and get'n ready to drive it.:driving:

Thanks I been working slow but sure:smash:

imco offshore
03-24-2010, 10:11 PM
No I just finished the 65 ss chevelle last week,,I need a week to clean the shop and start over ,,

cosmic12
03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Harbor frieght has a few...something like that Harbor Frieght quality would be fine.

I went and looked at one of those today as a matter of fact.

How do I say it? $250.00 for JUNK JUNK and more JUNK!!!!!
They are 4 pc's of angle iron welded (spot) togeather on a angle iron stand the one they had on display was warpped at the jaws brand new.
$250.00???? I think not.
But thanks for the info:cheers2:

f311fr1
03-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Drop box like a twin engine tractor puller.

cosmic12
03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
No I just finished the 65 ss chevelle last week,,I need a week to clean the shop and start over ,,

I understand that!!!
Wish I had the balls to do that V/8 end to end thing I might have the room to do it and they would be exposed, would be so cool.
I can't wait to see that Hudson done, I love it when someone thinks outside the normal street rod chit and you did it in ace's:cheers2:

cosmic12
03-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Drop box like a twin engine tractor puller.

What? Can you explain that a little more? How expencive?

f311fr1
03-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Two side by side inputs through a gear train to a single out put. Check out some of the tractor pulling sites for their suppliers and used parts classifieds. Also check out "forklifts cheap" on google. They had a foot operated industrial break listed.

cosmic12
03-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I will do that. It would be so cool to have two inline 6's with 6 stright pipes on each side and 3 single barrels on each one like stromberg 97's. Zume Zume

Dude! Sweet!
04-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Coming along nice! Can't believe you gave yourself arc eyes. I did that to myself when I was 12 or 13 and never again!

cosmic12
04-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Coming along nice! Can't believe you gave yourself arc eyes. I did that to myself when I was 12 or 13 and never again!

Ya that was kinda dumb:ack2: But when you are just tacking something that helmit is a pain.
The problem was way to many tacks:rolleyes: