PDA

View Full Version : Trim/tilt oil (Chris, this is 4 U )

PARADOX
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Outrdive not lowering and raising. Pump works. Milky oil.
Trying to flush it, Can I just use regular automotive power steering oil to flush.? If the power trim rams are seased (due to lack of use) how do I get them back in operation. and how on earth I drain/flush the system and bleed all the air out?

Standard merc. Bravo 1.

Chris
06-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I'd be surprised if the rams are seized. All that stuff is chromed. First off, you have to find out why they're taking on water. Most often it's because the pump got dunked. Anthing that would let a little water in outside of the pump would let all the fluid out immediately. I'd pull the pumps and find the leak. Pull the lines off and blow them out with compressed air. Then reattach the lines and stick them in a bucket of oil, then cycle the rams. That will flust anthing that remained after you stroked them in and out a few times disconnected.. Bleeding is easy. Fill the system and start running it. Crack the lines and keep pumping until you gert no more air. Then cycle and repeat. They're sort of self-bleeding anyway. Your pumps are most likely 30 weight pumps, not hydraulic fluid. The one's that ran on DTE are fairly old- TRS era.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-18-2009, 05:13 PM
The rams do occasionally bind in the end caps. The salt will expand and push the scraper seals out and bind the ram. You can usually notice it gauging the rod as it begins to tighten eventually it pushes the seal out.

Ratickle
06-18-2009, 05:56 PM
What Peter..... The rest of us aren't good enough for you???????

My feelings are deeply hurt.......:leaving:

PARADOX
06-18-2009, 08:15 PM
LMAO Rat..
I knew Chris is in the hydraulic line of work.

I got the rams working. It's binding a bit, probably like Jim referenced but it's not too bad. It's sticks at a spot where it was sitting for a while. removed the interior, cleaned it,, flushed the system., now it worked OK. I lubed the seal at the caps as well.
One of the fittings was leaking, I saw it when I tried to flush it. Put an O ring in and it's fine.

THANKS