PDA

View Full Version : 2000 APBA Offshore St. Pete Worlds Start

cigdaze
06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Been digging through some old pictures and came across these. I thought you guys would appreciate it. One of the best races I've ever seen. This was just one heat of one race. :cool:

Ya, it's big, and ya it blows out the page, but it's worth it. :cool:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/cigdaze/TEMP/img020.jpg

Ratickle
06-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Sweet Nick......:26: :26: :26:

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Sweet

Are you sure it was 2000 and not '99?

cigdaze
06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Yep. I didn't live here yet in '99. I moved here in 2000.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-17-2009, 09:28 PM
It was huge in '99 too.

Thanks for posting

TGC-32
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
That's the F-2 start. 27 boats or so, if I remember correctly. We are in there somewhere. I remember that first turn as being truly remarkable. Everyone gets there at pretty much the same time, there is absolutely NOWHERE to move. You just hold your line the best you can and pray to God that everybody else holds their line too, because if something happens when that many boats are that tight it's going to get real ugly real fast! Still, it was SOOOO damn exciting!!!! As alive as I've ever felt!

Tom Caruso
Total Marine

Steve Miklos
06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Yep! Cool stuff. Not being a jerk but there are more boats in that F2 start than most of todays "events". But what would I know?
Steve

cigdaze
06-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Good stuff, guys! I can't tell you enough how exciting it was to see it from my perspective, too. The thunder, the spray, all those boats rushing right at you. It was awesome. I had just moved here, and I was totally surprised to learn that there would be a boat race in my back yard. I skipped work to watch the Thursday race, and was hooked from that point forth.

:cool:

Steve Miklos
06-17-2009, 09:58 PM
It was huge in '99 too.

Thanks for posting

When was St Pete not "Huge"?
Steve

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-17-2009, 10:01 PM
When was St Pete not "Huge"?
Steve

It is a great site with the pits, the Vinoy , and the pier.

I enjoy open water courses more.

Ratickle
06-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Ya, it's big, and ya it blows out the page, but it's worth it. :cool:

Now you have to report yourself......:sifone:

How did some of you guys see where the heck you were going? Reminds me of some of the desert races I was in on bikes with around 300 at the start.....

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Put a camera in your hand and look what happens.:biggrinjester:

TGC-32
06-17-2009, 10:56 PM
"How did some of you guys see where the heck you were going? Reminds me of some of the desert races I was in on bikes with around 300 at the start..... "

To be honest, sometimes you couldn't see! Thank God we had the intercoms, because I remember telling my driver to just try and hold a steady line. We (the throttlemen) would basically just hold it wide open in the turns and hope your driver could get you through it OK. F-2 was much more of a driver's class, particularly on the shorter course flat water races. Except on rare occassions, you couldn't make up for any ground lost due to a bad turn, so like the photos above indicate you had to go for it on the very first turn and every turn after that or you weren't going to be competitive.

Fever Mike
06-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Great memories for me. I had the honor of going to just about all the races in 2000 working as a tech inspecotr and offical for APBA. I have great memories from 1997-2002 with offshore racing. I met a lot of people and made some life long friends.

I miss that era of my life so much!

DAREDEVIL
06-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Looks like a bunch of boats are missing the bouy !!!!!!:biggrinjester:

OH,,,,and who won ????

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 09:21 AM
That's the F-2 start. 27 boats or so, if I remember correctly. We are in there somewhere. I remember that first turn as being truly remarkable. Everyone gets there at pretty much the same time, there is absolutely NOWHERE to move. You just hold your line the best you can and pray to God that everybody else holds their line too, because if something happens when that many boats are that tight it's going to get real ugly real fast! Still, it was SOOOO damn exciting!!!! As alive as I've ever felt!

Tom Caruso
Total Marine

Yes sir you are correct I was there for that one probably on the outside somewhere!!!!:sifone::sifone:

Hey Tom how's it going????

It was good talking to you the other day!!!!

Sean

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Nick do you have any of my cartwheel in the second race???? That had to be pretty!!!!

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Looks like a bunch of boats are missing the bouy !!!!!!:biggrinjester:

OH,,,,and who won ????

Treadwell one the worlds that year with 2 second place finishes.....The Utz won the first race and I think the other Fountain won the second or vice versa!!!!

cigdaze
06-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Nick do you have any of my cartwheel in the second race???? That had to be pretty!!!!

No, I'm afraid not. I was looking in another direction, and I missed it. I remember seeing the spray though, and thinking, ouch that's got to suck.
:eek: