PDA

View Full Version : Bravo trim limit/sender changeout

Wobble
06-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I need to change out the sender and limit switch on a b1, is there any trick other than pulling drive/helmet/bellows?

The wiring needs to be changed otherwise I would cut and seal.

Thanks

Geronimo36
06-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Not really...it's just a PITA job...and they're never accurate anyway and don't last very long most of the time.

When ever someone asks me to do a trim sender job I try and convince them to add mechanical gauges.

Whenever I did do them I usually sold the person on a transom assy re-fresh including new bellows, shift cable, gimbal bearing and even new bushings. If most of it's coming apart it saves them even though the price is higher. Most of the time they would see that quote and decide they don't need operating trim senders! LOL

Wobble
06-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Well as usual it was a blessing in disguise. The input shaft seal was leaking into the bellows.

On the minus side 3 out of 4 10/32 screws twisted off and one hinge pin galled it's threads in the gimbal ring. in order to get that out we had to pull the bellows out through the hole and then use a rod and a pry bar to put pressure on the inside of the pin so we could burn the rest of the hinge pin threads off with an air gun to get the frickin pin out.

the gimbal ring is repaired and I am waiting on new plastic hinge bushings before I can put everything back. Hoping for this weekend, we will see.

oceanoutlaw
07-11-2009, 12:45 PM
theres no need to remove the gimbal, helmet, or drive just for a trim sendor kit. 1/4" drive 7/16 universal socket and an extension gets the job done

Wobble
07-11-2009, 02:01 PM
theres no need to remove the gimbal, helmet, or drive just for a trim sendor kit. 1/4" drive 7/16 universal socket and an extension gets the job done

I did in fact get the wire clamp bolt out using similar tools. That's when we noticed drive oil in the bilge, all would have been good if the hinge pin had not galled up in the helmet.

We helicoiled the helmet and are back in business, thanks.

I am not sure I could have got the wire clamp and clamp bolt back in so easily though if it had not been disassembled:cheers2:

mbam
07-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Too late for you (sorry) but in all cases use some heat on the ring and bell housing, will usually let it come apart without damage.