PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still doing turbo stuff for offshore?

Dude! Sweet!
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
I see some turbo stuff on the ski race boats. I was wondering if anyone's still doing it for offshore? I seem to recall Pfaff doing some stuff and I thought Vern bought all the Gentry stuff, but I don't see anything around.

Just wondered.

MarylandMark
06-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Tommy Hofstetter

underpressure
06-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Chief engines, Tommy 954-587-3020

niceguy
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
The biggest problem I can forsee is the cost to set it up. Most marine engines are setup with blowers and carbs. I guess you could do a blow through turbo deal, but I would think the heat generated by the turbos in an enclosed hatch would be intense after running for any period of time.

But don't get me wrong, it will make rediculous power. In my drag car, my 408ci sbc made right at 2100hp with a single 106mm on alcohol.

Dude! Sweet!
06-16-2009, 01:58 PM
The biggest problem I can forsee is the cost to set it up. Most marine engines are setup with blowers and carbs. I guess you could do a blow through turbo deal, but I would think the heat generated by the turbos in an enclosed hatch would be intense after running for any period of time.

But don't get me wrong, it will make rediculous power. In my drag car, my 408ci sbc made right at 2100hp with a single 106mm on alcohol.

Yah, the one's I've seen have all been water jacketed. Seems like some big advantages to turbos and also seems like EFI is getting a lot more accessable with the megasquirt stuff and whatnot.

rschap1
06-16-2009, 02:11 PM
I used to work with a guy from the Gun Lake area here in Michigan. He builds some CRAZY HiTorq turbo motors for himself and some others!!

Ratickle
06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I used to work with a guy from the Gun Lake area here in Michigan. He builds some CRAZY HiTorq turbo motors for himself and some others!!

Crazy Tom Earhart.......:sifone:

2scoops
06-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Carson Brummet.

Dude! Sweet!
06-18-2009, 01:19 AM
2 Scoops! Thanks man... That's exactly the sort of suggestion I was looking for. In Pasadena... Very convenient to me. I've seen his name on stuff at the Ski Race.

Ah, thank you!

insanity
06-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Yah, the one's I've seen have all been water jacketed. Seems like some big advantages to turbos and also seems like EFI is getting a lot more accessable with the megasquirt stuff and whatnot.

Ahh, Megasquirt. That reminds me I have a box that's like 90% finished that I lost interest on about 2 years ago. I should dig it out and try to finish it.

Chris
06-18-2009, 08:02 AM
The old Banks stuff was water jacketed. They worked poorly. Turbocharging uses the heat energy in the exhaust stream to drive the compressor and when you pull that heat away, you have little left to do the work.

Modern turbodiesels are used in many applications and are now becoming more common in performance applications. They use dry ceramic fabric wraps for heat barriers. But you still need to water jacket the manifolds and that means the turbos need to be mounted very close to the exhaust ports.

Magic Medicine
06-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Crazy Tom Earhart.......:sifone:

And Checkmate Bill!

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Tommy at Chief Engines is doing a twin turbo package that rocks the world dude.....You really owe it to yourself to call him if you are in the market!!!!!

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 09:26 AM
2 Scoops! Thanks man... That's exactly the sort of suggestion I was looking for. In Pasadena... Very convenient to me. I've seen his name on stuff at the Ski Race.

Ah, thank you!

Carson Brummett took over the Gentry Stuff after Tom passed away!!!! I still think you owe it to yourself to call Tommy at Chief and talk with him....he is getting alot of big power with alot of hours on them so that speaks for itself!!!!!

Dude! Sweet!
06-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Carson Brummett took over the Gentry Stuff after Tom passed away!!!! I still think you owe it to yourself to call Tommy at Chief and talk with him....he is getting alot of big power with alot of hours on them so that speaks for itself!!!!!

Thanks Sean. I've heard many many good things about Tommy (obviously), but the distance gives me some concern. I'd rather look into someone local. Paul Pfaff is still doing turbo stuff for the ski racing right?

Shoot, I guess Banks is local too...

Thanks guys! This is interesting stuff and I really appreciate it.

Chris
06-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Banks is long out of the marine biz.

Geronimo36
06-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Flagship Marine did my fathers turbo systems back in the 70's. They're still in business albeit not in NY anymore.
http://www.flagshipengine.com/

Dude! Sweet!
06-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Banks is long out of the marine biz.

Yah, just meant that I had forgotten that they were local too.

Sean Stinson
06-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks Sean. I've heard many many good things about Tommy (obviously), but the distance gives me some concern. I'd rather look into someone local. Paul Pfaff is still doing turbo stuff for the ski racing right?

Shoot, I guess Banks is local too...

Thanks guys! This is interesting stuff and I really appreciate it.

I did alot of business with Tommy when I lived there and he always stood behind his product 150%.....Hell I had a problem one time that wasn't even his part of the warranty and he flew out and took care of the issue personally HIMSELF it doesn't get any better than that bro!!!!

Dude! Sweet!
06-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm taking the block and crank over to VHS next week to figure out if it's dead or not... then we'll go from there.

Thanks again guys. This input is all really appreciated.

cougarman
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschap1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratickle
Crazy Tom Earhart.......

And Checkmate Bill!

Tom Earhart and Bill are alive and well and very active :cheers2:
1,500 hp and torque to match
Idle at 400 rpm
No Turbo Lag
No static compression
Full fuel injection

Can't beat the package !!!

Take Care
Jon

rschap1
07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I sure miss Tom's tales. All I ever had to do was ask what he was working on most recently, and I would hear some pretty cool stuff. Boats, cars, trucks, snowmobiles...you name it. I do miss it. What is the name of his diesel place again?

cougarman
07-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I sure miss Tom's tales. All I ever had to do was ask what he was working on most recently, and I would hear some pretty cool stuff. Boats, cars, trucks, snowmobiles...you name it. I do miss it. What is the name of his diesel place again?

Well nothing as changed,.................he still has some very cool projects going on with BIG power ;-)

Jon

Ratickle
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Well nothing as changed,.................he still has some very cool projects going on with BIG power ;-)

Jon

I haven't talked to Tom lately, will give him a shout.

He did all the tuning and setup (with Dave), on my 540's with the Haltech systems in the Scorpion and the tuning, (with Dan), on the Cutler/Holley system in the Empress......

Dude! Sweet!
07-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Man, I saw a TON of turbo rigs at the ski race this weekend. Lots of exposed motors in the smaller boats. I'd guess mostly Pfaff and Brummett power. Vern was running an old Gentry type set up in the big Platinum as well. Seemed to run good.

Looks like Larry is saying that the block and rotating assy may have survived the carnage after all. If that's the case, I'll postpone my forced induction project until the next kaboom!

cougarman
07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Man, I saw a TON of turbo rigs at the ski race this weekend. Lots of exposed motors in the smaller boats. I'd guess mostly Pfaff and Brummett power. Vern was running an old Gentry type set up in the big Platinum as well. Seemed to run good.

Looks like Larry is saying that the block and rotating assy may have survived the carnage after all. If that's the case, I'll postpone my forced induction project until the next kaboom!

You should really talk to Tom Earhart if your interested in Turbo's
He has the upper hand when it comes to turbo's...........And he has
been doing it longer than any of them. :sifone:

Jon

cougarman
09-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Here are a couple of quick pics I took on Saturday.

Per the quote these are from unnatural in another thread for the power in Check 300.

Jon

cougarman
09-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Couple more of Check 300s

cougarman
09-19-2009, 10:00 PM
and the last of check 300's

Sean Stinson
09-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Duttweiler

HaxbySpeed
09-20-2009, 02:23 PM
That is some beautiful engineering!! :USA:

cougarman
09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
That is some beautiful engineering!! :USA:

Tom Earhart never stops engineering,....the next idea is always rolling forward :sifone:

Jon

Dude! Sweet!
09-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Awesome! Can't say much more than that... Sean, are those the motors in the new Predator?

rschap1
09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I really should not be surprised one lil' bit, BUT WOW!!
Earhart really put together some great looking stuff there.
I bet it goes as good as it looks too!

LittleDcsRodShop
09-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey Sean(dude) just seen this as I was looking at my blow thru thread as I am in the process of figuring out exactly how I want to do my "plumbing" ect..
Great timing !!

Awsome pics. guys !! That Checkmate is Insane !!

cougarman
09-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Awsome pics. guys !! That Checkmate is Insane !!

You should have Tom Earhart put 1 of those in your Saber with a # 6
and hang on. Check300 is running a single #6 with a 1.24 gear and she likes to out accelerate everything :sifone:

LittleDcsRodShop
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
You should have Tom Earhart put 1 of those in your Saber with a # 6
and hang on. Check300 is running a single #6 with a 1.24 gear and she likes to out accelerate everything :sifone:

Jon, That would be very sweet to say the least, besides I even know a guy who has a good #6 that I'm just waiting on him to get tired of looking at & decide to send it south about 700 miles !! haha !!

cougarman
09-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Jon, That would be very sweet to say the least, besides I even know a guy who has a good #6 that I'm just waiting on him to get tired of looking at & decide to send it south about 700 miles !! haha !!

I don't look at it ......It's left under the cotton sheet so it stays perfect till you mail your check :rofl:

You need to take a ride in Check300's single with a #6 and it would make up your mind for you in about 30 seconds flat :sifone:

Jon

LittleDcsRodShop
09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Would I love to take a ride in it YES !! Do I need that to make up my mind NO !! Unfortunalty my checkbook has alreay spoken !! If it was up to me & not my checkbook that 6 of yours would have been long gone 2 years ago..:sifone:

Maybe Sean will but it for me as a gift for winning Catalina next year.. or is that just finishing..?? or did I mean just showing up..?? I get confused real easy !!

Dude! Sweet!
09-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Scotty, this little dude has your name written all over it! :sifone:

LittleDcsRodShop
09-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Scotty, this little dude has your name written all over it! :sifone:

You think we could find one at a local pawn shop ? Man it sure would be easier !!

I'm gonna head to the lake in the next couple weeks before my father pulls his formula off the lift for the season & do a short blast to see how the cartlidge in that "old man" Rt. knee of mine holds up..Then decide if 10 months of conditioning would cut it..

Dude! Sweet!
09-23-2009, 11:48 AM
You think we could find one at a local pawn shop ? Man it sure would be easier !!

I'm gonna head to the lake in the next couple weeks before my father pulls his formula off the lift for the season & do a short blast to see how the cartlidge in that "old man" Rt. knee of mine holds up..Then decide if 10 months of conditioning would cut it..

Atta boy! Otherwise we'll have to break into our connections at LB State's ski team...