PDA

View Full Version : darn leaking elbow gaskets

CAPM KURT
06-14-2009, 10:27 AM
My 2006 Volvo 350 chev engine has elbow gasket leaks. Some salt water but flush every time. Replacement Volvo gaskets as of 2009 are very thin metal, not the "cardboard" type, so obviously Volvo thinks they need a better gasket. I can still get the old type from aftermarket. Any experience with this new metal type. I'm skeptical of it. They also say absolutely no sealer. I've always found Permatex Form a Gasket works pretty darn good at keeping the gasket surfaces free of corrosion and leaks on the old type gaskets. Help appreciated - nothing replaces "experience".

Geronimo36
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Sounds like you're re-using the manifold/elbo so take the extra time to machine the surfaces perfectly flat. If you don't have access to a machine shop or lathe you can do it with a block of wood and sand paper or a belt sander but it's going to take a while.

Other than that follow the instal instructions. I've used perfect seal on the mercury gaskets even though they say instal dry and never had any problems. it's been a long time since I serviced a volvo but I'd start there.

CAPM KURT
06-14-2009, 12:15 PM
thanks for the info.
It' s only 3 years old but your right, I guess I should check the flatness. I can see how the metal gasket may stop water from getting through, but I can't see it completely keeping the water(salt water) from creeping up under the edges a little at a time and over a few years, bamm, you need new elbows/manifolds because there is only 1/8 inch or so left of flat surface. I think the sealer does better at keeping the water from getting under the very edges of the gasket on the metal surface and starting corrosion. I think I will try the metal WITH THE SEALER. Even though they say there is a special "coating" on the new type metal gaskets. It's like paint-1 or 2 thousanths.