PDA

View Full Version : Miami to Key West Race Feb 2010

Top Banana
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
HORBA is putting together a race from Miami to Key West in February of 2010 on the Saturday of the weekend after the Miami Boat Show....

The race date will be February 20, 2010.

Get ready!!!!!!

Old school, new school.......a race for racers...... that want offshore racing to really be OFFSHORE and point to point again.

This is before the start of any organized race season and we welcome any and all racers or poker runners that want to try real open ocean racing.

A little video here to help you remember what the ocean has to deal out to the racers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQFs4wQFXaw

Watch at 6:19 in the first video....my old 38 footer Rums of Puerto Rico was flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVMCCNGnKlM

boatme
06-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Charlie Good luck

This sounds like a great idea

Top Banana
06-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Charlie Good luck

This sounds like a great idea

Thanks Marc....get those Great Lakes boats ready to roll.....you only have 7 months, before you start to tow down for the race.

We are going to make THE EXPERIENCE of the race, the real point of this.

We will only do two events per year.....this one in February and the Around Long Island Marathon in August 2010.

That race will be done in a 2 day format with a stop overnight at Montauk (party time).

lucky strike
07-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Great videos....Thanks Charlie.

DAREDEVIL
08-22-2009, 09:12 AM
How many miles is it from Miami to KW by water ???
My boat only holds 100 gallons .:sifone:

OK,,,,found info (185 Miles) ,,cant do it .

boatme
08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Charlie this one is on MY BUCKET LIST

Top Banana
08-27-2009, 04:54 PM
How many miles is it from Miami to KW by water ???
My boat only holds 100 gallons .:sifone:

OK,,,,found info (185 Miles) ,,cant do it .

Can't do it? What kind of attitude is that.....come on, you can do it.

We are working on some kind of factoring system that will take into account those boats that need to stop for fuel. We would know ahead of time which boats and would allow them a certain amount of time to do their fueling.

Don't give up on us yet.....if they could do it in 1963, you can do it now.

DAREDEVIL
08-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Can't do it? What kind of attitude is that.....come on, you can do it.

We are working on some kind of factoring system that will take into account those boats that need to stop for fuel. We would know ahead of time which boats and would allow them a certain amount of time to do their fueling.

Don't give up on us yet.....if they could do it in 1963, you can do it now.

LOL,,,ok so let see what i can get going.
It looks that i am in,,,( just hope they have racefuel down there somewhere ) .

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks Marc....get those Great Lakes boats ready to roll.....you only have 7 months, before you start to tow down for the race.

We are going to make THE EXPERIENCE of the race, the real point of this.

We will only do two events per year.....this one in February and the Around Long Island Marathon in August 2010.

That race will be done in a 2 day format with a stop overnight at Montauk (party time).

guess IŽll just have to take at least two trips over there next year...

boatme
09-05-2009, 02:44 PM
guess IŽll just have to take at least two trips over there next year...

Yes you will :)

Top Banana
09-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Had a nice experience yesterday at the Farihaven Mass poker run of Billy Frenz. Met a member of the "new generation" of high performance boaters. He graciously invited me to ride along with him and his friends on the run.

He beautifully restored an older 47 foot Apache, with twin 1200 HP Sterlings on # 6 drives with Herrings and a drop dead paint job. He is very interested is doing this Miami to Key West run next February. He is 34 years old and lives in Mass. He remembers the stories about the early races out of Plymouth and Gloucester and the around Cape Cod race we used to do.

This is the kind of entrant that will come to an event like this. They will allow many to see these great old boats run in the open ocean water they were made for. A whole new generation is ready to take up the torch of open ocean running.....let's give them the chance that we all had at one point.

Ratickle
09-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Nice Apache, is he a member here? Inquiring minds want to know.:sifone:

Top Banana
09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Nice Apache, is he a member here? Inquiring minds want to know.:sifone:

Not yet....I'm talking with him re doing some more interaction with the offshore world. Starting with a Florida visit for the Miami to Key West race.

Up in New England, there are a few little specials like this one.... hidden away. Nice 46 foot Skater with turbines that ran with us yesterday also.

It was nice of Billy Frenz to get up here, with this Fairhaven MA poker run, and let some of thes guys get a chance to get together and play. Definite for a repeat next year I'm sure.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Sounds Great.

Will there be classes similar to the Bimini Run?

Top Banana
09-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Sounds Great.

Will there be classes similar to the Bimini Run?

Yes....we want to make it as Old School as possible....that means trying to make everyone welcome and able to run whatever it is you have.....as long as it is deemed safe and seaworthy.

IT WILL BE ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE OF DOING THIS HISTORIC COURSE AGAIN.

Can't build up points for a world championship, but every entrant will get a patch and decal for the boat that will say...PARTICIPANT. This means you have bragging rights that you did this great old course.

For the guys that don't have enough fuel capacity....a stop in Islamorada for a desiginated handicap to cover the fueling time.... and the in and out.

The second event....AROUND LONG ISLAND MARATHON.... next September.....looks as if we are going to be doing it in one day vs the two day as originally planned...just a lot simpler for planning and execution.

MikeyFIN
09-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes you will :)

Well As it seems I might HAVE TO RELOCATE, get a haircut and a new JOB, overthere... at least partially :seeya:

DAREDEVIL
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Well As it seems I might HAVE TO RELOCATE, get a haircut and a new JOB, overthere... at least partially :seeya:

The job thing over here is the tough part,,,,the hair cut u don't need .....and i am still alieve aswell. SO GET YOUR FINN A$$ OVER HERE. LOL:sifone:

C-YA, soon

RACESDAD
09-10-2009, 01:30 PM
we are so in
mike

TGC-32
10-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I think we may come out of mothballs for these runs. Sounds like a great time.

Tom Caruso
Total Marine Racing
F2-32

Wazzup Racing
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Just spoke to John Haggin, he and I are in with the Old Viper. Cant wait. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Smitty

Top Banana
10-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Don't know how to make the link, but on Youtube, type in the search area....

Bushmills 1979. It is about 6 miutes of old school offshore.

Enjoy.....and start to get ready, time is flying by....

Ratickle
10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Just spoke to John Haggin, he and I are in with the Old Viper. Cant wait. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Smitty

That is great news Smitty.....:26: :03: :26:

Ratickle
10-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Bushmills 1979 for Charlie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79II-JbqI1k

Top Banana
10-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Smitty welcome aboard. That is great news.

I think it is fantastic that somebody like Haggin, who has given so much to the sport, can now have an opportunity to take something back.

Your team will have an experience of racing right over the same course that Griffith and Brownie and Wishnick and yes even,....Don Aronow... who won this race way back in 1967.

Now that is reliving history for sure.

Big water down there....especially in the winter...yeah!!!

Rat....thanks for the link!!

Wazzup Racing
10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Looking forward to it. Boats ready to go, just have to rehab the trailer a little.

DAREDEVIL
10-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Depends on how things go ,,,i will try.:sifone:

AugiePensa
10-10-2009, 11:30 AM
BEAUTIFUL Photo Charlie

Bodyshot1
10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
damn..that won't be any fun! :sifone:

wild Turkey Scott
01-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Who is the "Go To" point of contact for info and registration? We are interested in running regardless of a stop.

RACESDAD
01-13-2010, 12:55 PM
is this still on? we have our boat show the boat has to be in on the 19th. i hope it has been moved up a week

Top Banana
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
is this still on? we have our boat show the boat has to be in on the 19th. i hope it has been moved up a week

No......we were hoping to get some help for the race from an existing race organization. That fell through and we cancelled.

However......We have our own people now...HORBA Board Member, Billy Frenz with his NPBA....they are going to help us produce the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon next September on the weekend after Labor Day.

Michael Aronow has given permission to use Don's name again for this race and we will be based out of Guy LaMotta's marina. Manhasset Bay Marina and restaurant will be both the dry and wet pits and the awards ceremony location.

The race will be done on one day. Race distance is 250 miles. Current record stands at a bit over 3 hours. For those boats with no fuel capacity, we will have a handicap for refueling at Montauk.

Race will start on the north side of Long Island heading East and round Montauk and end on the ocean side, heading West, coming back through NYC tight areas. Start and finish will be right off Port Washington, NY.

thedonz
01-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Come on Charlie lets figure out how to make the Miami to KW even if the dates have to be moved foward.......nothing like running a stright shot through Hawks channel

SVL66
01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
No......we were hoping to get some help for the race from an existing race organization. That fell through and we cancelled.

However......We have our own people now...HORBA Board Member, Billy Frenz with his NPBA....they are going to help us produce the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon next September on the weekend after Labor Day.

Damn... SBI and OPA, both have races that weekend.
Sholud be a fun event

Top Banana
01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Come on Charlie lets figure out how to make the Miami to KW even if the dates have to be moved foward.......nothing like running a stright shot through Hawks channel

As you know HORBA has only two goals.....1.) Educate the public about the history of the sport and....2.) Save the old race boats before they are cut up and destroyed forever.

We really don't want to be another race organization, that is why we were hoping for some help in that area, with the actual running of the event etc. Unfortunately it didn't work out this year, but we still have hopes for a Miami to Key West next year. You Miami guys can get started on it now to lay the groundwork.

For the Don Aronow Around Long Island Race, we have Billy Frenz with his NPBA. He has tons of race promotion and poker run experience and is familiar with the area and dealing with the powers to be etc.

That is what we need in Miami to do this successfully for all involved.

wild Turkey Scott
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
That is unfortunate, we would have loved to be a part of the history that got us where we are today. J&S Motorsports representing the National Guard will keep our eyes open for events that move our sport and history forward in a positive light.:USA:

Sean Stinson
01-18-2010, 12:05 AM
As you know HORBA has only two goals.....1.) Educate the public about the history of the sport and....2.) Save the old race boats before they are cut up and destroyed forever.

We really don't want to be another race organization, that is why we were hoping for some help in that area, with the actual running of the event etc. Unfortunately it didn't work out this year, but we still have hopes for a Miami to Key West next year. You Miami guys can get started on it now to lay the groundwork.

For the Don Aronow Around Long Island Race, we have Billy Frenz with his NPBA. He has tons of race promotion and poker run experience and is familiar with the area and dealing with the powers to be etc.

That is what we need in Miami to do this successfully for all involved.

Charlie.....I don't know what happened between you and Offshore Events in the past but I know Schoenwald has the CG permits in place for both Miami to Key West as well as Miami to New York....maybe you guys should talk!!!!

Top Banana
01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
DATE CHANGE......I spoke to Billy Frenz today and the date for the........

Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon, will be one week later than originally scheduled.

The new date is September 18, 2010.

This new date does not conflict with any other race organization date.

We welcome all who would like to experience what real ocean racing was really like.

RACESDAD
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
im scared now

Top Banana
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
im scared now

I'll be looking forward to some air shots .....as you round Montauk and enter the ocean side of the island.

Bodyshot1
01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
..anyone looking for a driver, let me know..this sounds like a kick in the azz!!