PDA

View Full Version : Broken rubrail fix????

Prosno
06-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Rubrail came loose on one side and the water must have caught it and snapped it off.
Have new rail but I want to make sure I attach this thing right, anybody ever doi them and what do I need? and hows it done?
Appears theres some metal inserts in it and maybe some factory rivets?
Thanks guys

C_Spray
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Since you're dealing with the Silent Thunder box, and not the actual hull/deck joint, things will be a little more forgiving; you won't need to make it watertight. Stainless steel sheetmetal screws, probably #10 by 1". The problem might be that the screws that are broken off will be where you want to put the new ones, so you might have to shift your bolt pattern by an inch or two. Just start at one end and work your way around; a heat gun will come in very handy. When you get to the end, remember to cut it long and whittle it down until it fits....

Prosno
06-10-2009, 05:35 PM
ah sounds good, thinking of cutting a couple small access panels under the box also and then do a little through bolting.
Rub rail seems like its gonna be a ***** to bend even with heat.
Thanks for the reply.

Perlmudder
06-11-2009, 12:44 AM
off topic, but i noticed your skeg is cut off. does it affect performance?

Prosno
06-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Oh god how embarrasing:(
I was moving the boat in my shop on the trailer with a forklift, forgot drive was down and snapped it off.
Sooo I cut it along the jagged edge that was left and went to the river-havent noticed and difference but now that you mention it????
Should I have a new one welded on? Will it matter ???
Thanks for the input

t500hps
06-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Oh god how embarrasing:(
I was moving the boat in my shop on the trailer with a forklift, forgot drive was down and snapped it off.
Sooo I cut it along the jagged edge that was left and went to the river-havent noticed and difference but now that you mention it????
Should I have a new one welded on? Will it matter ???
Thanks for the input

One day you will need to turn hard......and the boat WON'T. Until then it will perform as you described.

Perlmudder
06-11-2009, 10:55 AM
some of the older race boats had the skegs cut off, im not sure about their reasons for doing it though.

Audiofn
06-11-2009, 11:36 AM
The reason is less drag through the water. A few cats cut off the skegs on the #6 drives then they run a rudder.

C_Spray
06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
...but at least they ran a rudder. A good jump (intentional or accidental) without one might introduce you to the joys of propwalk. That's an experience you're not likely to forget.

Bobcat
06-13-2009, 06:23 PM
:seeya:

Prosno
06-14-2009, 09:28 AM
...but at least they ran a rudder. A good jump (intentional or accidental) without one might introduce you to the joys of propwalk. That's an experience you're not likely to forget.

Okay I might as well look stupid but I have to ask, What is propwalk??????:lurk5:

C_Spray
06-15-2009, 08:18 AM
When the boat comes up high enough out of the water that the only thing submerged is the lower blades of the prop, they can act like a sideways paddlewheel and crab the back of the boat over to one side, so you come down sideways. Normally, the skeg (or a rudder in shaft drive boats) would provide the stability, like feathers on a dart, to keep this from happening. The danger is not as high on boat running low-pitch props, but it can still happen...