PDA

View Full Version : >>> Lake Charles, La - On the Water!

CAPM KURT
06-07-2009, 12:32 AM
OK folks in Lake Charles, this is where it all starts!!! General discussions happen here. If you need to, start another thread for a particular event or topic.

CAPM KURT
06-07-2009, 12:40 AM
For those that were there today at Bae Bae's on the West Fork, all was good. Always enjoy new places, and the fried fish was good too(just wish I had known about that-I would have gone hungry instead of stuffed with Popeyes). Thanks for the invite.

CAPM KURT
06-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Baton Rouge events

JMeng, do you want any of the Baton Rouge B.C. events with your boat club on this site??

jmeng
06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Sure, post away. Leave the moonlight cruise off though. Thats one we try to keep the law from knowing about. :D

lsumike02
06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, I am registered Kurt I help keep up with the updates for the boat parties!

CAPM KURT
06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Prop Stop on the Tickfaw in Baton Rouge

The Prop Stop is now back open as of last weekend or so. People been waitin so long over yonder it was too crowded for some to even want to go in.....good times are back! For those in LC that have never been there, you need to go. Probably the best place you'll ever stop at(bar, burger joint, dance floor, bikini(and other) contests. Don't forget to ask for a Worm Bucket. Can only get to it by water.

Glad you registered Mike. PS: Enjoying your new "toys", haha.

CAPM KURT
06-10-2009, 11:22 PM
anybody goin out in the boat this Saturday? or watching the LSU game at 600? That's a toughie?

jmeng
06-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, I am registered Kurt I help keep up with the updates for the boat parties!

LSUmike02.... Is this Mike P?

CAPM KURT
06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
No John, that's Mike H.(and Sara). They live here in Sulphur.

CAPM KURT
06-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Mike H. Going out in the boat Saturday??

lsumike02
06-13-2009, 03:58 PM
yea, we are about to load up and go give us a call.

CAPM KURT
06-14-2009, 12:12 AM
good day today at Rabbit Island. I've never seen a tugboat do a 180 before(well, a "90" anyway), that was pretty neat. What a showoff. My brother Eric talks to these tug captains at Citgo when they come up to their docks. He's toured their boats before. Really cool drive systems.

Only a few of us new about the party at Derouen's on the West Fork(Good thing he came to the island with the food). That's why we need this site to get going!!!

Thanks for the BBQ Derouen.

CAPM KURT
06-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Anybody from Lake Charles going over to Baton Rouge for the Royal Purple Poker Run?? Maybe just to cruise around and look at the hardware and scenery and have a little fun. If we go, I don't think we'll be in the run itself. Sometimes more fun to take it a little easier.

CAPM KURT
06-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Boater's map for Baton Rouge area - Diversion Canal, Tickfaw River, Amite, Lake Maurepas

For those of you that go, or want to go to Lake Maurepas area(home of the Lake Bash), there is a website where you can order a map of the area. I bought one years ago and it's invaluable. It gives you info on every stop(restaurants & bars by land, restaurants & bars only can get to by water, boat ramps, etc) and even tells you what's available(gas, food, ramp, alcohol, etc. at every one). Incredible map. Get the folded version, not the laminated so you can fold it up. Website is RiverRatRob.com Get the "2007/09 Useful Boaters Map". It has GPS coordinates of most places. Well worth it.

troy c
06-16-2009, 10:51 PM
hey kurt, i like the idea of having a place to plan our boating trips with friends. good job. were gonna take the boat to toledo bend this weekend & hang out at the sand bar. anybody interested, give me a call

CAPM KURT
06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Me, Angelle, and the Nauti Girl going to the Royal Purple run this weekend in Baton Rouge(unless that is, a better offer comes around to ride along in a faster boat!!) Should be fun.

CAPM KURT
06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Me and Angelle had the best time we've ever had over in Baton Rouge. Friday we pulled up and ate at the Fuel Dock on lake Maurepas next to Boudreaux’s 50 ft "Airborne" boat(the 24 Nauti Girl looked great next to the Airborne I'll tell ya..haha). Ran into a friend who had some people cancel out and offered us to ride in his 38 Donzi for the Royal Purple Poker Run on Saturday. It was one heck of a good time. tremendous amount of fine boats, great weather, good parties at the stops, especially Friends Restaurant(Lake Ponchartrain) bikini contest and the Prop Stops(Tickfaw River) wet tshirt contest(that became “no shirt” contest), great seafood, fantastic scenery--samples attached. If anyone wants more pictures I've got a lot of em. Let me know.(some I couldn't include). Don’t want to rub it in though, haha. I've never attached pics before so we'll see if this works.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Finally some pix . Nice.

CAPM KURT
06-23-2009, 10:53 PM
now you know why Baton Rouge's Tickfaw River/Lake Maurepas/Lake Pontchartrain/Diversion is so much fun.

troy c
06-23-2009, 11:26 PM
hey capt kurt, looks like i missed a good trip. email me some of the good pictures.

CAPM KURT
06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Wife said I made a mistake..... I put the same girls pic up twice. I said.... "no mistake, different outfit"!!!!!

CAPM KURT
06-25-2009, 11:34 PM
We're going out Saturday pullin the kids tubing. Hadn't brought them in a long time-gotta pay dues once in a while. Mostly East & West forks but will run by Rabbit island and check out who's there. Anybody goin out this blisterin weekend??

CAPM KURT
06-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Royal Purple Poker Run

Love that LSU swimsuit at the Prop Stop.

CAPM KURT
06-26-2009, 12:04 AM
The "double bottom bikini" .... is that a tatoo or not?

CAPM KURT
06-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Who's hittin the water besides the Nauti Girl this weekend?

Runnin the river with me and Angelle's daughters and a few of their friends pullin two tubes. Stop by Gerad G's for a visit - it's his birthday Saturday.

Berryo
06-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey man, thanks for the email..look forward to checking out the site...I am about to pull the AO out and get out there today...Kendall will be with me, we will look for you.

sal cimino
06-27-2009, 05:12 PM
great looking of both boats and "LADIES"..

CAPM KURT
06-28-2009, 09:07 AM
thanks. Yeah, it was tough job, but somebody had to do it. I missed half the scenery just taking the darn pictures for everybody.

By the way in case you don't know, you can CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO ENLARGE IT.

CAPM KURT
06-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I think more people may be going up river since Rabbit Island beach is getting dirtier from the dredging from what i heard. We didn't go there today though. Maybe there's someone we could call about doing a better job of keeping the dredging pipes from leaking. Probably would not do any good though.

Had a good day on the water Saturday anyway. Stopped at the east fork sandbar near 171 launch, and at Derouen's on the west fork. Had several boats there. Good food at both places.

CAPM KURT
06-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Kevin R.
Your email you sent was no good. Copied and pasted it so no mistakes. Send it again.
I'll also send you all the "good" pictures of the Royal Purple Poker run that I couldn't put on the site.
Kurt

CAPM KURT
06-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Troy - We'll either be here on the water for the fireworks or there for the sandbar with yall, one of the two. Well let you know. Who alls going with your group? Yor kid going to or is this a no kids day.

About when do you normally leave here. You make a boat run sunday or just head home.

CAPM KURT
06-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Who else is getting the boat wet either here or out of town this weekend? Weather looks decent. nice 3 day weekend.

troy c
06-30-2009, 10:20 PM
me,kevin r,scott d & marty are bringing our boats. we are not bringing kids this time. i dont know about sunday.

CAPM KURT
07-02-2009, 07:20 AM
hey everybody, what's going on for the weekend? me and angelle going out either Fri or Sat. more than likely Sat. I know a few are going to Florida or Sam Rayburn. who's left going out here in good old LC?

kwc871
07-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I will be on the river this weekend out past 171 bridge on saturday

CAPM KURT
07-03-2009, 11:51 PM
The Nauti Girl is headin out Sat. noonish. We'll check out the east fork and the lake, then go up the west fork to Derouen's place for his party. Back to the lake later. Should be a good day! See yall tommorrow.

Kirk C., well holler at ya when we're up that way.

CAPM KURT
07-04-2009, 12:00 AM
This is the sand bar in the lake on Lake Maurepas. There's a band playing on barges, and some of the crowd gets out of their boats and walk around and gather near the center where the band is. You can walk out another 100yds or so until it gradually gets deeper. Sandy bottom. A few small spots have clam shells so where sandals. If you look close at the picture on the left, you can see the swim deck on my boat. She comes in handy when you need a cup holder, haha!

CAPM KURT
07-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I know many of you from Lake Charles won't know Crazy Charlie, but a few will. He owned Blood River Landing near, or in, Springfield. Blood River comes off of the Tickfaw River not too far from the Prop Stop. He also was the winner on the reality show on TV called Giligan's Island maybe 3 or 4 years ago. They said he never complained, just got it done, whatever it took. I don't know how old he was, but I know he must have had the "old school" attitude as I like to refer to it. Maybe in his late 50's or early 60's. But I think he kept very busy and did a lot of things in his area, especially having to do with water. From what I know I think he started the Tickfaw 200 Poker Run, now getting to be one of the biggest around the country, and many other events raising money for his town. I believe he attempted or made some kind of record crossing the gulf of mexico in an offshore type boat. He loved the water I think even more than most of us do.

He was in a motorcycle accident on Hwy 22 near Springfield Tuesday, July 7th. I heard a car turned or pulled out front of him and he didn't live for very long. Sorry to hear this for a fellow boater. Me and Angelle met him once at Sunbun's on Lake Maurepas. So I don't know him, I know of him, and that he was well known in his area. I just wanted to let those of you know that knew of him. Probably those that go to the Tickfaw area.

kwc871
07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
we will be out on the lake and river sat. troy will be out also. not sure whw else but we heard several boats will be there.

CAPM KURT
07-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey Kirk. Me and Angelle were going sunday. Doesn't look to good for saturday. Just bumped it up to 60% chance. Hopefully be a little better sunday.

Thanks for watchin my back the other day(night) on the east fork, with the low gas tank. Ran pretty low by the time we got to the launch. At least I know my gauge works pretty good now. Ran about 30 minutes past the E mark. Good to know.

CAPM KURT
07-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Also go to www.thepropstop.com
Can only get to it by boat. Fantastic hamburgers. Great little bar and party/contest/dance floor out back. Click on the pic to enlarge it.

CAPM KURT
07-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Remote control airplane video. You've never seen a plane do this!!

Watch it to the end, it gets even better. I know this is not boat related but hey, give me a break.... if it's got wheels or propellers, I like it.
Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfN3_8RgtfU

kwc871
07-24-2009, 10:22 PM
going out tomorrow 7-25 somewhere on the river. if anyone else goes give us a call.

CAPM KURT
07-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Won't make it this weekend, me and Angelle gettin ready to head East Sunday morning for a few days to Panama City. Not long enough to pull the boat though, just gettin away.

Crab Island
We're trying to figure out how to get out to Crab Island in Destin on Sunday without a boat, and walk around like at the Lake Bash in Baton Rouge. Jet ski's too expensive for a half day or so. Angelle's a pretty good swimmer though...haha. Best I remember it's just a hundred yards out or so from the main bridge there, I remember seeing all the boats tied up just a little ways out. Yall have fun.

CAPM KURT
07-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I just found a shuttle boat that runs from the mainland at Crab Island Trading Company out to Crab Island. It's $10 per person for a "seat" on the boat that stays out there, so you have a boat to return to anytime. Starts at noon. Monday thru Friday only at this time. The boat stays out there and he shuttles back and forth every hour up to 430pm when the last shuttle back is. The guys mobile phone that runs it is 850-699-2468. Were gonna give it a try while on vacation over there. Sounds like something good to do for a day, a raft up is always good, especially if you didn't pull your boat over there like some of us, hint, hint.

CAPM KURT
08-01-2009, 03:36 PM
We're heading out in the Nauti Girl on Sunday, 130ish. I believe the Ney gang is going in theirs. We'll put in at the 171 launch. Make the usual run, east and west forks, Rabbit Island. Anybody else going?

CAPM KURT
08-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Sandy beach at the highlines up the East Fork way past Ward 8 Park

There's about a 100-150ft beach on the right side of the east fork just past some big highlines roughly 5-10 miles past Ward 8 park. Found this place about 25 years ago when all we had was our aluminum boat. Put many a mile on er back then.

I went just before Rita, and it hadn't changed a whole lot, but haven't been since the storm. The river is still wide at that point, actually opens up around that area pretty wide. Decent but small beach like Rabbit Island. Used to be a nice place to run to and stop and BBQ. Clean water. Not a lot of traffic.

Anybody been there lately or know what condition it's in?

scarabsc
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Can you get a big boat up that far??

CAPM KURT
08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, the river is still big at this point, that's what's nice about it - it's about the size of the West Fork. It's a little less wide as your traveling up the river before you get to the highlines, then opens back up a little. The sand on the "beach" is about 10ft wide like Rabbit Island, but it's sandy under the water and you can walk out a little, not much past the back end of the boats-get's deeper quicker. But it's something different, nice water. I don't know how far past this you would have to go to see it get really small, I haven't been much further up than the highlines/beach.

CAPM KURT
08-16-2009, 03:47 PM
OK, next Saturday is Tommy Coyne's party on the west fork. Don't forget! Last bash of the summer for Lake Charles. Hope all can make it. I wonder if the "Mamogram Man" will be there??

CAPM KURT
08-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Tommy Coyne's party on the west fork starts at 600 pm Saturday, not noonish. It's not a BYOB party, it's a FFB party(Free Food and Beer) haha. See everybody there.

CAPM KURT
08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
How about making a cruise up the east fork before Tommy's party? I'd like to run up to the sand bar on the right bank, near some highlines about a 20 minute ride past White Oak Park.

I'd be something nice and different to do between noon and 6pm when Tommy's party starts. We could all meet at noon from the sand bar on the east fork near the 171 launch north of the 171 bridge, and leave from there.

Haven't been there since before Rita, but hey, if it "ain't there", we'll just tie up together and float in the river for a couple hours then head back. If the beach on the bank is in OK shape, we'll pull up and eat, drink and be merry. Would be a nice ride.

Any takers? I'll text some of you also.

kwc871
08-21-2009, 01:02 PM
sounds like fun, we will be there. give me a call later today.

Berryo
08-21-2009, 03:17 PM
I am down for it. I will probably be putting my boat in the water for the day tomorrow.

CAPM KURT
08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Kirk, I'm ready, but let's see who wants to go. If you happen to talk to others let me know. I texted everybody last night cause I knew some wouldn't see it on the site. Hopefully, several of the gang will go. Something different than Rabbit Island again. We'll talk tonight before anything definite, but we will go if others do. Anybody need a ride, let us know.

Hey, if anybody's going, post it here.

CAPM KURT
08-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Looks like everybody wants to go out Sunday, so Sunday it is. Weather should be beautiful.

Some plan on BBQin at the backside of the salt water barrier dam. If everybody wants, we could cruise up the east fork to "white sands" as I call it like we talked about below. It's a pretty good cruise so starting out late ain't an option if you want to stay there for 2-3 hours and have time to get back if anybody breaks down. I would guess cruisin at 30 or so, it's no more than 25-30 miles(about 1 hour) from the beginning of the east fork. It's around Hecker, about half way to Indian Village. River is still quite big at that point. We'll discuss Saturday with the others.

Powerquest 270
08-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I would prefer to go to the sandbar right past the 171 bridge than go to the otherside of the dam. one word! alligators! Cooking brings them & is not relaxing! Rather cram into small sandbar!

CAPM KURT
08-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Power Quest
Call me- 304-7431

CAPM KURT
08-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I'd still like to get everybody to run to the sand bar up past white oak park to do something different-and while it's still warm enough to run very far. It's about as far past white oak as it is from here to white oak. Nice run though - 1 hour from here. I'll have to text everybody to see.

CAPM KURT
08-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Here's a pic of "White Sands" as I call it - up the east fork way past White Oak park near some highlines. This was takin around 2004 or 2005(pre-Rita). But it hasn't changed a whole lot in 30 years. Clic on the pic to make it larger.

Notice the four hot chicks I was with(my wife and our three daughters) haha. And my sweet 1993 20ft Sea Ray. Ran 51 mph with a V6 and great on gas! And she never left me!

Well talk later and see who all wants to go.

CAPM KURT
08-22-2009, 05:21 PM
And here's pics of the beach at Madisonville past Baton Rouge(and again -my old Sea Ray). It's actually on the north end of Lake Pontchartrain at the mouth of the Tchefuncta River. Cool, beautiful place, good water! Usually people stop here on the Royal Purple Poker Run.

It'll be a little far to go to during this trip to the Lake Bash but look out next summer!! It's about an hours ride from where we are stayin at the cabins on the Diversion Canal. Cross Lake Maruepas, Manchac Pass between the lakes, then cross just about 10 miles on the very north end of Lake Pontchartrain, not too bad.

CAPM KURT
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Well, the sand aint exactly "white", but thats what I call the place. Had a good time up the Calcasieu east fork near Hecker - nice place. Clean water, good BBQ and hotdogs. Shorter run than we remembered though. I think everybody came back with 3/4 tank left. Here's some pics.

CAPM KURT
08-26-2009, 10:27 PM
more pics at the beach.
Kevin's boat in back, Need for Speed, Miss Behavin, and the Nauti Girl. The rest of the gang missed out! We'll do it again sometime(maybe like next year).

Powerquest 270
08-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Whats up for this weekend?? Anyone going boating???

CAPM KURT
08-27-2009, 11:39 PM
not sure yet, have to watch weather-not looking real good for saturday. Need to change elbow gaskets tommorrow - both leaking slightly. Angelle's got other things to do. But I may be game for a ride.

kwc871
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
wont make it this weekend. jennifer may go see her sister out of town and our boat still down. parts wont be in till wed. next week.

CAPM KURT
08-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I've got a leftover roll of sound barrier foam if anybody can use it. It's good heavy stuff. Called Whispermat, with a layer of what they call mass loaded vinyl(like a rubber mat) in the middle with foam on both sides. 1" thick. Weighs about 1-2lbs per sq ft.

Some types have alum foil on one side to protect against oil/grease but this type does not have the foil - it has foam on both sides. But not a problem if you don't pour oil on it. Expensive stuff-cost $6.00 per sq ft. For friends, I'll give it to ya if you can use it.

CAPM KURT
08-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Who all's goin to the Jetties Sunday. And what time

lsumike02
09-05-2009, 12:16 AM
I'll take some Kurt if you have some spair of that foam barrier

CAPM KURT
09-05-2009, 12:19 PM
What day is everybody going out this weekend. It's time to get em wet again!! I've heard Monday a couple people are puttin em in. Weather looks much better for monday anyway-not good Sunday. I'm ready.

There's a band playing Sunday 3-7 at The Landing on the Contraband Bayou, but not good weather day for boatin - 60%. Chad, Damon, and me and Angelle went there in the Chad's boat Friday night to listen to the bands(3 of em). Great time - it was kind off like the old Peppers music on a bigger outdoor scale. About 10 boats were there, and a heck of a lot of people-inside and out. Great hamburgers.

LSUMike - I'll hold you some of the sound foam.

Powerquest 270
09-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Hydro Boat races are at the sabine river this weekend in orange by the old ship yard. i will be at blue bird launch at 11 am sat morning because that is the time that the stop the races for marine traffic. hope to see yall there!!!!!!!!!!

CAPM KURT
09-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm not makin the races this weekend, but i'm game for the POKER RUN next weekend in Orange. Never been to the Sabine..anybody got any tips? I was told a good launch is off the Simmon's st exit. Is that where the boat club is?

scarabsc
09-18-2009, 06:09 PM
The boat club has its own launches that is most likely where we will launch at.

CAPM KURT
09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Lets go to the Orange Poker Run this Saturday. I was even thinkin of running the boat over there. Anybody made that run?? Looks from the map like about 40 miles--little over an hour's cruise from 210 to orange boat club. Otherwise, trailering will have to do.

Angelle said many years ago they used to stay in a hotel next to the water. I don't know of any hotels now - anybody know of one on the water?

Google Map of Orange area waterways and boat club location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hotels+orange,+tx&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hotels&hnear=orange,+tx&ei=JWi5SrGEGpCNtgfSifT5Dg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1

CAPM KURT
09-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Putting boat in today. I think several in the gang are going out today. No set plans. We'll have to take a cruise somewhere. Been a long time since I've ridden to Holbrook park, or go up the east fork to White Sands?

Howard Davis bought a 56' yacht type boat. It's at Rick's place now. I'll take a ride over and look at it.

jmeng
09-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Wow, can't believe Howard bought a slow boat.