PDA

View Full Version : "PowerBoating for a Cure" - Brand new event - Mid Atlantic

BillR
06-04-2009, 09:38 AM
The American Cancer Society's 1st Annual "Power Boating for a Cure" Poker Run
Friday Aug 21, 2009 and Saturday Aug. 22, 2009

This is a brand new event for the Mid Atlantic Area. It will be a better than average run.

What has happened:
The American Cancer Society approached local boaters / local dealers and formed a committee comprised of boaters that have attended several large scale events like: "Jax River Rally", Destin, Tickfaw, Jammin on the James and 1000 islands.

This committee is organizing a poker run in Norfolk / VA Beach that is shaping up to be a major event.
The goal for this first 2009 inaugural run is to put on a really good event to include a great party. Then draw on lessons learned, we hope to grow into a MAJOR poker run. While the majority of boats are go-fast, this event is open to all types of boats. We already have a 72' boat signed up!

Mark your Calendar for this event and submit your registrations, you can help us shape a Mid Atlantic area poker run into a major event and support and really great charity, The American Cancer Society.

What's different about this poker run than those run locally in the past - EVERYTHING!

Thurs:
Nothing official planned "YET" this year - Next year may include a welcoming party, come early and check out some of the best boating in the area.

Fri night:
- Last minute registration.
- Secure docking at Waterside Marina which includes security.
- Mandatory Captains (ONLY) meeting Friday night.
- No Host Party following Captains Meeting (more being worked out for Friday. (Next year may include a fun run)

Saturday:
- Breakfast provided on the docks.
- Poker run will blast promptly at 10 AM.
- New course - Smooth water - all size boats welcome.
- Lunch Stop with swimming pool .
- Social "PARTY" time on the docks followed by a nice Dinner and party that will start around 6:00 at Waterside (in A/C).
- Cash awards for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place
- Awards for best dressed crew, nicest engine, best paint, best looking boat, & longest distance towed.
- A silent auction - (working on some really quality items).
- A live auction - stuff you will WANT to bid on! Don't let someone outbid you on . . . . . can't divulge items yet.

Sunday:
- Your time to do as you please (locals usually run to the Tiki bar on the Eastern Shore (maps will be provided)

What's Included with your paid registration:

- Ditty bags, T-shirts, prizes and more!
- breakfast before the run
- Poker Run and dinner
- Randy Nuzzo will be on hand for aerial photos
- A narrated DVD video included with your paid entry
-
-
-
-
-
-

More details/surprises are still being planned - I will provide updates as I they happen.
Not all details are finalized yet. We have more being planned!!!!

Website will be up soon and will have details added also.

With the backing and experience of the American Cancer Society, this 1st event is shaping up to be pretty good. One of the guys on the committee was heavily involved in bringing Offshore Power Boat Racing to VA Beach years ago. He is pulling strings and calling on friends to make this a first class event. Others on the committee have attended major poker runs across the country and we are calling on those experiences to make this the best boating event Hampton Roads has had to date. We are also asking for advice from the organizers of other major poker runs around the country. Again, the American Cancer Society has lots of influence.

Again, the committees plan is to start off modest this year, make sure we get it right and people leave saying "WOW - I gotta be there next year!!", and then we ramp it up.

Think of this as the 1st year of Jammin on the James, the 1st year of Jacksonville River Rally etc. and you get the idea. You won't want to miss it.

For those of you from out of town, we are working on ramp / rig logistics and security. We are securing accommodations VERY nearby for those that don't want to stay on their boat.

Our web page and lots more info will be up soon!

For more info - Call Bob Veith - 757-463-2333 or William Braun 757-961-9411

Sunshine
06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Maybe I'm missing it but, exactly where is this event going to be?

BillR
06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Norfolk / Va Beach area

As I said above, this event should be different from any event done in these parts in the past, should have major sponsors, and plans are working to make it into a MAJOR "must do" event.

Afterwards we will be looking for comments, criticism and ideas of what YOU would like to see next year.

Due to logistics and ability to make a memorable event,
Docking Fri nite and Saturday (included in entry fee) will be at Waterside Marina in Norfolk VA. The captains meeting and party will be in an exclusive area inside Waterside - and it looks like we can do what we want!

Please mark your calandar, I am sure you will make this a must do event.

You will be running on the James River, Elizabeth river, and Chesapeake Bay.

Seafordguy
06-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Kelli and I will be there.

I'll shoot you a PM back when I get a chance.

Eric

Formula 382 sr-1
06-04-2009, 09:24 PM
The check is in the mail !!!!! :26:

BillR
06-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Forgot to mention -
While the majority of boats are go-fast boats, this event is open to all types of boats. We already have a 72' boat signed up!

Also - Randy Nuzzo will be on hand for aerial photos - In addition, we will have a video included with your entry. (May even be in Hi Def - that is a BIG maybe!!)

BillR
06-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Please check 1st post - updated info and .jpeg added

Formula 382 sr-1
06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
TTT:sifone:

Macklin
06-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm in for this event. Will be my only poker run of the season seeing as how I was GIVEN a 20% pay cut. :ack2:

Waterside is a great venue for this. Can't believe they are opening up Black Finns for us. Nicely done!

bcfountain
06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm in for this event. Will be my only poker run of the season seeing as how I was GIVEN a 20% pay cut. :ack2:

Waterside is a great venue for this. Can't believe they are opening up Black Finns for us. Nicely done!

did they close black finns?there was talk last year that the city wanted to close everything up at waterside and put condos in??

Seafordguy
07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Let's bump this to the top since it is the next event in the Hampton Roads area....

BillR
07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
POWER FOR A CURE POKER RUN 2009: to Benefit the American Cancer Society!

Great New course - Smooth water - all size boats welcome
Start and End at Waterside Marina - Norfolk VA
Capt. Meeting Friday Night at Black Finn's Restaurant. at Waterside.
Capt. Bag for each boat
Social time on the docks afterward
Registration includes dockage for Friday and Saturday Night at Waterside Marina!
Registration includes Friday nite party and entertainment
Registration includes breakfast saturday morning
Registration includes lunch for 2 at kokomo's on Saturday with swimming pool.
Registration includes Dinner for 2 at Awards Party, Dinner provided by Outback, at Black Finns Rest at Waterside (in Air Conditioning)
There will be a live auction - items will be good stuff - stuff you WANT! Don't let some out bid you on . . . . . can't divulge items yet.
Video of the event after the fact.
Randy Nuzzo will be shooting stills available for sale.
Cash Prizes for 1st thru 5th place
Trophies for a number of recognitions-Best dressed crew, Nicest engine, Best paint, Best looking boat, & Longest distance towed.
Two Event T-Shirts for the Capt and 1 Crew Member (total of 4).

Don't Miss It...The Only Local Poker Run in Hampton Roads this year!!

Website is: www.powerboatpokerrun.org

BillR
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
more

BillR
07-14-2009, 01:39 PM
did they close black finns?there was talk last year that the city wanted to close everything up at waterside and put condos in??

Black Finns IS closed.
However Waterside will allow us to use the space for our event. Should work out well! :sifone:
There are alot of folks working hard to make this 1st event a good base to build from.

BillR
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Got a bunch of boats signed up and / or committed. Sign up NOW!
We are limited to the number of boats we can have, don't delay, this will be a "must do" event.

So far we have: (Now this is from memory)
2 or 3 Cigarette Top Guns
2 Formula 38's
1 Formula 27
1 Sunsation F4
1 Donzi 32
1 82' Sea Ray I think - will run the tender
1 Midnight Express
1 38 Fountain
1 30' Baja
1 33 Donzi

The following have committed, bet we have not yet received the entry fee
3 Cigarette Cafe Racer
3 Cigarette Top Gun
1 35 Scarab
1 24 Switzer
1 27 Velocity
1 42 Fountain
1 34 PowerQuest
1 29 Velocity
1 38 Hustler
1 35 Fountain
2 37 Active Thunder

This run is gonna fill up fast - sign up!

BillR
07-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Hotel Accommodations

If you want a Hotel; the Sheraton Waterside is night next to the Waterside Marina / event. We have a block of rooms with better than normal rates set up.

Call the Sheraton Waterside, ask for Elizabeth in sales.
Tell her you are in the American Cancer Society poker run and would like the $109.00 rate.
http://www.sheratonnorfolkwaterside.com

BillR
07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
We have a bunch more boats as of today! 7/16

33' Donzi
72' SeaRay
40' Fountain
33' Scarab Sport
26' Wellcraft
37' Intrepid
37' Intrepid

Seafordguy
07-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Got a bunch of boats signed up and / or committed. Sign up NOW!
We are limited to the number of boats we can have, don't delay, this will be a "must do" event.

So far we have: (Now this is from memory)
2 Formula 38's
1 Formula 27
1 Sunsation F4
1 Donzi 32
1 Midnight Express
1 38 Fountain
1 30' Baja
1 33 Donzi

3 Cigarette Cafe Racer
3 Cigarette Top Gun
1 35 Scarab
1 24 Switzer
1 27 Velocity
1 42 Fountain
1 34 PowerQuest
1 29 Velocity
1 38 Hustler
1 35 Fountain
2 37 Active Thunder

This run is gonna fill up fast - sign up!

Bill - you can move one of those Cafe Racer's up to the definite list. The check/entry form/insurance verification has been mailed.

BillR
07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Bill - you can move one of those Cafe Racer's up to the definite list. The check/entry form/insurance verification has been mailed.

ok! Thanks

Entry's are coming in much faster than we expected!! We may reach full capacity much sooner than we thought and last minute registration may not be able to happen. :sifone:

Latest list - still lots from memory:
So far we have: as of 7-17-09 9am
2 Formula 38's
1 Formula 27
1 Sunsation F4
1 Donzi 32
1 Midnight Express
1 38 Fountain
1 30' Baja
33' Donzi
72' SeaRay
40' Fountain
33' Scarab Sport
26' Wellcraft
37' Intrepid
37' Intrepid
35' Cigarette Cafe Racer

2 Cigarette Cafe Racer
3 Cigarette Top Gun
1 35 Scarab
1 24 Switzer
1 27 Velocity
1 42 Fountain
1 34 PowerQuest
1 29 Velocity
1 38 Hustler
1 35 Fountain
2 37 Active Thunder

The amount of boats we can handle really is limited, so to ensure a spot, ensure tshirts and caterer(s) head count - it would be wise to sign up as soon as you can. If nothing else, I can think of no better cause to to help support. Cancer has touched everyone in some form or another! My Dad had 3 spots cut out recently - all were cancer - they think they got it all. Others aren't so fortunate.

You can safely sign up online. - make time to do it today. Website is: www.powerboatpokerrun.org

This is a new event, new organizers - the American Cancer Society has lots of pull and experience to draw upon; and we are doing exactly that!
Please sign up ASAP, entries are really coming in quicker than expected.

If you want a Hotel; the Sheraton Waterside is night next to the Waterside Marina / event. We have a block of rooms with better than normal rates set up.

Call the Sheraton Waterside, ask for Elizabeth in sales.
Tell her you are in the American Cancer Society poker run and would like the $109.00 rate.
http://www.sheratonnorfolkwaterside.com

BTW - If you need shore power - please make a note of it so we can try to accommodate everyone's wishes!
Bill

Formula 382 sr-1
07-21-2009, 09:06 PM
One month from now we will be well on our way into a pre run party, three or four rounds deep.:cheers2:

BillR
07-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Latest info from last meeting:

THIS IS STARTING TO GET EXCITING (OBVIOUSLY I HAVE THE FULL INSIDE SCOOP) TRUST ME, ITS GONNA BE GOOD! There is alot of things that we are still trying to make happen - but if we stopped organizing today, the event will be quite impressive!!!!

If you are going to do this run, sign up!
Seriously, registrations have been coming in and exceeding our expectations. To ensure a spot, ensure t-shirts and enough of everything, we need the best possible head count - it would be wise to sign up as soon as you can.
We are getting close to cut off date for T-Shirts / Captains Bags (these will be oh so cool) / and other things.

I can not stress this enough - sign up now! I know about the economy, maybe things are tight for you this moment - if so then:
IF NOTHING ELSE - PRINT OUT AND SEND IN YOUR PAPERWORK AND MAIL YOUR CHECK LATER
or
You can safely sign up online. - make time to do it today. Website is: www.powerboatpokerrun.org
We have to have our shirt order in by 8/1. So if you wait till after then and don't get exactly the size you want, it is no-ones fault but your own!

HOTEL Info
If you want a Hotel; the Sheraton Waterside is night next to the Waterside Marina / event. The hotel is very closed to being booked for the weekend, thus rooms may be tough to get. We have a block of rooms with better than normal rates set up. Once these blocks of rooms are filled and we have someone who would like a room, they will still be able to get the discount provided that the hotel is not sold out
Call the Sheraton Waterside at 757-622-6664 tell you are in the American Cancer Society Powerboating for a Cure poker run and would like the $109.00 city rate or the $119.00 waterfront rate. http://www.sheratonnorfolkwaterside.com

Registration includes:
Manditory Capt. meeting Friday night - there will be a party afterwards - so bring your cignificant other and crew.
Friday nite party with band / food / and a cash bar
Capt. Bag for each boat
Dockage for Friday and Saturday Night at Waterside Marina!
Breakfast on the dock Saturday morning
Lunch for 2 at Kokomo's on Saturday with swimming pool.
Dinner for 2 at Awards Party, Dinner provided by Outback Steak House.
There will be a live auction - items will be good stuff - stuff you WILL WANT!
and more. . . . . . . . .

This event is a good value - docking for your boat, you'll be fed Fri nite, Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner. You'll be able to party like a rock star on Friday, your registration will also include a DVD video of the event. We are still working on more!!!!!

Again - to avoid any disappointment, sign up!

We have all kinds of boats entered - Go fast boats, Center Console boats, Cruisers, A jet ski, I think a Bass boat would round out the list.
Latest list as of 7-21-09 9am
4 Cigarette Top Guns
1 Cigarette 35
2 Formula 38's
2 Fountain 27's
1 Fountain 42'
1 Donzi 28
1 Scarab 33
1 Sunsation F4
1 Donzi 32
1 82' Sea Ray (I think) - will run the tender
1 Midnight Express
1 38 Fountain
1 30' Baja
33' Donzi
72' SeaRay
40' Fountain
33' Scarab Sport
26' Wellcraft
37' Intrepid
37' Intrepid
1 24 Switzer

The following have committed, but we have not yet received the entry fee:
2 Cigarette Cafe Racer
2 Cigarette Top Gun
1 27 Velocity
1 34 PowerQuest
1 29 Velocity
1 38 Hustler
1 35 Fountain
2 37 Active Thunder
38 Donzi
There are more, but I can't remember!

This is a new event, new organizers - the American Cancer Society has lots of pull and experience to draw upon; and we are doing exactly that!
We have gotten some very generous sponsors; lots of the aspects of this are coming together quite nicely - I am sure everyone will be impressed with what we are going to have for you - especially in such a short planning period - Heck; "I" am impressed at how well this is going!

Side notes:
William Braun is doing the dock assignments, contact him for your requests william@hmboats.com
Just as I was typing this, many very good things came together this afternoon. Don't want to spoil the surprises, but you really don't want to miss this Poker Run!!
Some of the live auction items we have received are pretty cool! Can't wait to see how this turns out.
There will be displays on the boardwalk at the Marina

Seafordguy
07-22-2009, 01:58 PM
One month from now we will be well on our way into a pre run party, three or four rounds deep.:cheers2:

One month from NOW we will be well into the Post-Run Party six or seven rounds deep!! :willy_nilly:

Formula 382 sr-1
07-22-2009, 06:05 PM
:iagree:
One month from NOW we will be well into the Post-Run Party six or seven rounds deep!! :willy_nilly::iagree:

BillR
07-23-2009, 09:31 AM
:iagree:

:party:

formulabill
07-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Bill,

Get the boat ready, Kevin and i will be flying in from Jacksonville to ride with you on the first annual run.

Bill P.

BillR
07-29-2009, 10:03 AM
More registrations are in:
additional to above, we know have:
38 Cigarette
25 Baja 25 Outlaw
37 Midnight Express
35 Wellcraft Scarab
32 Sunsation
42 Fountain.

Cut off date for T-shirts is now 8/4, so you need to sign up by then to avoid any disappointment. Last nite we were working on details for fri nite party and entertainment.
Plus we nailed down some other surprises last week. This is turning out to be REALLY good!!

We are also going to change the first stop - Smithfield station as a card stop has poor logistics and lots of no wake zones. So we are going to have the 1st card stop at the entrance of the Pagan river instead of at the end. Trying to keep people moving in case it is a hot day.

BillR
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Today was a good day for registrations:
26' Wellcraft
28' Magnum
28' Maxum
22' Sea Ray
24' Robalo

This event is growing - there are some cool things to do and see

Seafordguy
07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I count 37 so far....pretty good with nearly a month to go!!

BillR
07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Ok, here is the latest list of boats.

35' Cigarette
38' Donzi
38' Cigarette
38' Formula
32' Sunsation
88' Hatteras
27' Fountain
38' Formula
27' Fountain
42' Fountain
28' Donzi
38' Formula
38' Cigarette
26' Baja Outlaw
38' Cigarette
? ? (Chad is his name - boat info not provided)
24' Switzer
38' Cigarette
33' Scarab
38' Cigarette
37' Active Thunder
27' Sea Ray
35' Fountain
38' Cigarette
33' Donzi
33' Scarab
38' Cigarette
33' Baja Outlaw
35' Wellcraft
26' Wellcraft
37' Midnight Express
28' Maxum
22' Sea Ray
24' Robalo
42' Fountain
? another new entry that I don't have the boat info yet

35' Cigarette Cafe Racer (X2)
27' Velocity
34' PowerQuest
29' Velocity
38' Hustler
37' Active Thunder
35' Fountain
72' Sea Ray
37' Midnight Express

Things are coming together nicely. Most registrations come the week of the event!

BillR
07-31-2009, 08:58 AM
If you intend to trailer in:

The best boat ramp in the area is Portsmouth City Park.
140 City Park Ave. Portsmouth, VA 23701
Plug the address into the GPS and let the truck take you there. If you have never been there before, you will have to pass through a graveyard, then a golf course, which is attached to City Park. The ramps are all the way at the end of the park. It's free and has a security patrol. This is the ramp some of us use.
Good parking and an overflow lot for oversized trailers.
Stay in the channel during low tide. Better safe than sorry!!
Waterside is 15 minutes from the ramp. VERY EASY!!!

BillR
08-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Signed Up today
29 Formula
27 Formula
38 Cigarette
47 Fountain
? ? Boat info coming

Seafordguy
08-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Signed Up today
29 Formula
27 Formula
38 Cigarette
47 Fountain
? ? Boat info coming

whoo hoo.

I think I talked a first time poker runner into it tonight. I have to send him the application tomorrow.

I told him there was no partying or general debachery - was that correct??

BillR
08-02-2009, 10:39 AM
whoo hoo.

Huh?!?!? :sifone::rofl::rofl:

ROGMAN
08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
whoo hoo.

I think I talked a first time poker runner into it tonight. I have to send him the application tomorrow.

Nothing like that ever happens at our Poker Runs does it!!!!!:biggrinjester:

Seafordguy
08-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Nothing like that ever happens at our Poker Runs does it!!!!!:biggrinjester:

Not that I am aware of. I just noticed that I posted that at 3:36 AM... I'm a moron...

Macklin
08-03-2009, 11:17 AM
whoo hoo.

Do it online! It is soooo easy.

Can't believe how this thing is taking off. Hats off to you guys. I'm getting jazzed. Just hope I can get Friday afternoon off.

I'm sitting at home right now drinkin' my favorite beverage waiting for the inlaws to return from Jewish Mother so we can walk over to the beach. :seeya:

BillR
08-03-2009, 02:08 PM
It IS taking off quite well.

We just got a 37 Hustler and a 29 Baja signed up.

BillR
08-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Latest list of boats registered thus far!

35' Cigarette
38' Donzi
38' Cigarette
38' Formula
32' Sunsation
88' Hatteras
27' Fountain
38' Hustler
38' Formula
27' Formula
29' Formula
27' Fountain
42' Fountain
33' Baja Outlaw
28' Donzi
38' Cigarette
38' Formula
35' Cigarette
35' Fountain
27' Aero Tech
38' Cigarette
43' Sunsation
26' Baja Outlaw
38' Cigarette
29' Baja Outlaw
24' Switzer
27' Baja
38' Cigarette
33' Scarab
37' Active Thunder
38' Cigarette
27' Sea Ray
35' Fountain
38' Cigarette
33' Donzi
33' Scarab
38' Cigarette
35' Wellcraft
26' Wellcraft
37' Midnight Express
28' Maxum
22' Sea Ray
24' Robalo
38' Fountain
35' Fountain
29' Fountain
47' Fountain
35' Fountain
38' Intrepid
??? ????

35' Cigarette Cafe Racer (X1)
27' Velocity
34' PowerQuest
29' Velocity
37' Midnight Express

We are at 50 boats as of Tuesday nite!

T-shirt deadline is now gone. If you register after today, we will do our best to get you t-shirts in your size.

We will be emailing everyone a map of the ramp, directions to the marina and an approximate schedule of events.

formulabill
08-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Don't worry about the list , 75 boats will be there for the event. Lets get signed up and help a great charity out while having one heck of a week-end .

Did i mention if they register 75 boats Bill R. is giving me a ride on his cigarette that no one has ever seen? Come on and help me out here , i want to see and ride on this mystery boat.

Offshoreracr
08-05-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm in with a crew of 4!

Seafordguy
08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm in with a crew of 4!

Another Cafe - Nice work....Hopefully you won't be drinking vodka and coke again. That made me want to gag:ack2::ack2:

BillR
08-07-2009, 09:29 AM
For those that will be launching boat at Portsmouth City Park, here is a map on how to get to waterside. You will also be emailed a better chart very soon.

Also here is a chart of the overall course with GPS info - pre load these into your GPS.

Seafordguy
08-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Just got my email on the itinerary for this run. Looks like an incredible time. Band on Friday night, and DJ on Saturday.

Really looking forward to it....

BillR
08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Just got a BUNCH more sign ups today! Will adjust boat list after I get all info!

Gotta go booze shopping soon too. Good thing a bunch of us have F350's!!
I'll try to get a pic of all the booze in the bed of the truck!

Also, the Sheraton Hotel is totally booked up. We will have another hotel lined up today.

BillR
08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
The 2 Hotels we worked with are sold out. Evidently there are 3 weddings and some conventions going the same weekend.

This is the next closest hotel. It is with-in walking distance. It would be a 2 or 3 minute taxi ride.
If you still need a room, try there.
FYI - We have NOT approached them.

The Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
520 Plume Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
(757) 963-6000‎
(757) 963-6001‎ - Fax

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/orfdt-courtyard-norfolk-downtown/

*Reminder note - we can not accept charge cards at the bar. Thus the cash bar is cash.

The auction is cash / check and we can work with credit cards .

See you on August 21 / 22!

Thank you
The Poker Run Committee

Seafordguy
08-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I hope I make it.....

Formula 382 sr-1
08-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I hope I make it.....

What have you done !!!!! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Seafordguy
08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
What have you done !!!!! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

One of my drive resevoirs wasn't draining through the transom assembly. Then on top of that those ****ty plastic clips that hold the lube line between the assembly and the bellhousing began leaking so I am trying to get it all fixed.

Plus I have my tails off and am going to have to order CMI rebuild kits Monday so the exhaust will quit leaking out of the lever....

SUCKS.... I am ready to party - NOT wrench. Spent Friday evening fixing my Parking brake after my ramp incident.

t500hps
08-15-2009, 08:12 PM
One of my drive resevoirs wasn't draining through the transom assembly. Then on top of that those ****ty plastic clips that hold the lube line between the assembly and the bellhousing began leaking so I am trying to get it all fixed.

Plus I have my tails off and am going to have to order CMI rebuild kits Monday so the exhaust will quit leaking out of the lever....

SUCKS.... I am ready to party - NOT wrench. Spent Friday evening fixing my Parking brake after my ramp incident.

You got it put together pretty fast last time (maybe too fast since it isn't RIGHT!)...you should be able to get this one back up and running by next week. If not, you look like you'd make a good boat bit(h....and Kelli great eye candy! :reddevil:

Give me a call later this week, we may have an empty boat if you need ride.

Formula 382 sr-1
08-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Ok I'll bite, What ramp incident !!!!!!:bigear:

Seafordguy
08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Give me a call later this week, we may have an empty boat if you need ride.

Level with me Russ - is this an invitation for me or KELLI??

Ok I'll bite, What ramp incident !!!!!!:bigear:

I have a manual truck....

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9295

Got to get to wrenching.

Formula 382 sr-1
08-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Got to get to wrenching.

I am sure that it is for Kelli you are just a byproduct.:26:

BillR
08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
The Marriott Courtyard has rooms:
http://www.hotels.com/property.do?po...&s=1&CIMonth=8

The search should pull up
Courtyard by Marriott Norfolk Downtown
520 E Plume St
Norfolk, VA, 23510
866-539-0036

They do have rooms, and you can walk, stumble or super quick taxi - it is 0.18 miles from the event.
As a comparison - the 2 Hotels that we have deals with - the Sheraton is 0.4 miles from the event and the Marriott is 0.17 miles from the event.

So the Courtyard is really close by!!! Want a room? Try them.
Someone just booked a room there via Priceline for $69.00 (under make an offer)

BillR
08-16-2009, 03:54 PM

SUCKS.... I am ready to party - NOT wrench.

CMI's leaking at the joint between tails and header? - Quick fix: Use 2 gaskets on each joint. Water leak fixed 100%.

I hear ya on wrenching!! :bigear: :ack2::ack2::ack2:

BTW:
One thing that EVERYONE needs to know - At the lunch stop, NO food, NO drinks, NO alcohol can be brought into the pool area!!
Only you and a towel! That rule will be strictly enforced by the marina staff. That is their rule and we will abide by it.

Everything is falling into place nicely. I'll load a picture of the truckload of booze if I can. The bar list is - WOW!

t500hps
08-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Got to get to wrenching.

We'll let you ride along too.....just sit right behind me so I can't see you!!!! :)
I've had my turn with a broke down boat and being a rider, be glad to do the same for someone in need.

Seafordguy
08-16-2009, 07:26 PM
CMI's leaking at the joint between tails and header? - Quick fix: Use 2 gaskets on each joint. Water leak fixed 100%.

Actually Bill they are leaking where the Silent Choice lever goes through into the tail.

We'll let you ride along too.....just sit right behind me so I can't see you!!!! :)
I've had my turn with a broke down boat and being a rider, be glad to do the same for someone in need.

Things are looking up....

BillR
08-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Things are looking up....

That looks more better!:26:

Seafordguy
08-19-2009, 08:57 PM
36 Hours to go!!

Formula 382 sr-1
08-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Damn I need to put the boat back together !!!!! :ack2:

Seafordguy
08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Damn I need to put the boat back together !!!!! :ack2:

WHAT???:willy_nilly:

Formula 382 sr-1
08-19-2009, 09:17 PM
WHAT???:willy_nilly:

Bad trim tab cable, dash is a part and everything is out of storage. I,ll get it !!!!:seeya:

BillR
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Here is a revised schedule of events, dock assignments at Waterside Marina and some Marriott Hotel info.

A note from the guy that did the dock assignments: "We have completely filled Waterside Marina. I have done my best to accommodate everyones requests, but I had to make all the boats fit. These dock assignments are locked it. Please dock in your designated slip when you arrive."

Check in & Registration (if we don't have a copy of your insurance, make sure you have a copy of it Friday) will open at 5:00 at Dockmaster's inside Waterside (basically go in 1st door and it will at your left). Please make sure the captains are at the Captains meeting at 7PM. We have allot of information to go over and want to ensure everyone knows what will be happening. Also look in your captains bag, there is information in there as well (plus some goodies).

We all look forward to meeting all of you - look for committee members in blue polo shirts and volunteers in gold T-shirts if you need assistance.

Friday Events schedule
Boats Arrive all day
1) 5pm - 8pm - social time and lite snacks at Hooters - their bar is open
2) 5pm - 7pm - Check-in & pre-registration open. Pick up captain bags, drop off insurance forms at Dockmasters in Waterside
3) 7pm - 8:00- Captains only meeting (food and bar at still at Hooters for crew and Captains after meeting)
4) 9pm - till ? Kick off party, Band will begin, cash bars open

Saturday Events schedule
1) 8am - 9am Breakfast at Dockmaster’s
2) 8am - 9am - Late check in & pre-registration open.
3) 9am - 9:15am - captains meeting (only if you missed Friday’s meeting)
4) 9:30 1st horn blast = get boat ready to depart (your crew should be on board)
5) 9:45 2nd horn blast (double) Official "Start your engines" and depart waterside marina
6) 10:00 - 5:00 poker run
A) 10:00 - 2:00 Stop #1
B) 11:00 - 1:00 Stop #2
C) 12:00- 2pm Card stop #3 and lunch at Kokomos / Pool open - At the lunch stop, NO food, NO drinks, NO alcohol can be brought into the pool area!!
D) 2:00 pm - leave Marina Shores
E) 2:30 - 4:00 stop #4 and then to Waterside finish

7) 4:30 - 8:00pm Pull your cards, cash bar open
8) 7:00pm - 9:00pm Dinner, awards, auction, fun, cash bar
9) 9:00 pm - till ? DJ will begin entertainment

Seafordguy
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Bad trim tab cable, dash is a part and everything is out of storage. I,ll get it !!!!:seeya:

How you coming??

Formula 382 sr-1
08-20-2009, 10:05 PM
How you coming??

Done 10min's a go !!!!!!!:sifone:

t500hps
08-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Joby, bring a ipod cable splitter......we can run a line to both stereo's once the band/party is over!!!

BillR
08-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Joby, bring a ipod cable splitter......we can run a line to both stereo's once the band/party is over!!!

At 1AM? :rofl::rofl:

Seafordguy
08-21-2009, 07:48 AM

HA - at 1 am his ass will be asleep in his nightie....

BillR
08-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Me too! (no nightie) A bunch of us were up till 2am last night preparing for this. Getting ready to head to event and set up the site. Then take the boat over, then continue working.
Party!!

By 12 I'll be whooped! :nopity:

t500hps
08-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Yes....We were up til 4:00 last year. Batteries will easily last 3 more hours!!!

t500hps
08-21-2009, 07:56 AM
HA - at 1 am his ass will be asleep in his nightie....

Nightie huh??? I might be looking to get into a nightie.....but it won't be MINE!!! :kiss:

Seafordguy
08-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Wheels UP - 5 minutes. See you guys soon!!!

Seafordguy
08-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Bill, Jon, and the rest of the crew - thanks!!

We had a blast....

Hollowpoint
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I know there were many good people putting in alot of time to make this event happy. Thanks to everyone that made this a great event!

We had a great time!

BillR
08-23-2009, 09:15 PM
My most sincere THANK YOU to everyone who put their trust in us, and tried a brand new event. We reached FULL CAPACITY about 6 or 7 days before the run - WOW!

I have received nothing but positive comments, but 2 comments really stand out. Someone said they they have attended many of "the big" poker runs all over the country, and that our event was actually more fun and better organized than most of those "big events".
The other stand out comment was from someone who was not local. He was blown away with how good the event was! He was from out of town, and what impressed him was how an "out of towner" like him was welcomed and made to feel like everyone in attendance had been friends for years!

Cameras were all over the place; I am sure the pictures will start getting posted as soon as everyone recovers. I think several will need new livers after the last 2 days . . . .
I know that I am whooped.

The committee will meet this week and start discussing next years event. We have some more VERY good ideas!! We will fine tune things and make it even bigger and better for next year, So if you think this years event was good - wait until next year, and plan for a Friday and Saturday event, chock full of things to do and great entertainment!!! The best is yet to come! So tell everyone you know that they do not want to miss the 2nd annual American Cancer Society's Powerboating for a Cure Poker Run!!!

Again, many thanks for all the great folks that put their trust in us. We are humbled that so many took us at our word that we would put on a GOOD, safe and fun event. Also, thank you for helping us to raise money for the American Cancer Society! Hopefully we can get closer to a cure!

BillR
08-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey we're already on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-EnpXqbZck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgH5mpk0DY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G06TTtIY97U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfTD2ZAJYwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70VxY9BNusg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wuH9eKZ8U8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab3Q9ynqAyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m24Hqpw4F8k

Thanks to Outbreak9!

BillR
08-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Got some more pics!

BillR
08-24-2009, 03:49 PM
more

BillR
08-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Congrats to the best dressed crew winners: Brian & Luree Harris, Bill & Michelle Lempke! :26::USA:

Formula 382 sr-1
08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
This was what we got to see when we got to the marina at Waterside after a bad start at the ramp, And it was a good start to a great weekend. A BIG thank you to all that helped put this run together. What a great shot of Waterside Marina, thanks Chuck Guthrie for the pix.

Hollowpoint
08-24-2009, 10:18 PM
More pics

Hollowpoint
08-24-2009, 10:20 PM
More

Hollowpoint
08-24-2009, 10:24 PM
More #2

Hollowpoint
08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
More #3

Hollowpoint
08-24-2009, 10:28 PM
More #4

BillR
08-25-2009, 09:30 AM
This comment was emailed to me. It came from one of the sponsors that had a display on the docks:

I saw Herbert Barnes Saturday evening, he had the custom golf carts with Chix Cycles...he said they had a blast....and the visitors and spectators came out the entire time we were gone. He use to own a 40' Sonic (and did the poker run circuit for a while), and was also stoked about the show we put on....he said it looked to be the Best Poker Run he observed or participated in over the last 15 years.

Seafordguy
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Bill - Any update on date for 2010??

BillR
01-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Looks more like 1st weekend in Aug.
We have meeting with city this month (like trying to get a personal appointment with the Pope) and will lock it down soon. (the city is our whole delay)
Plus we are going over the video, and will have that out soon - the work the vidio guy put into it really makes it nice. Confident everyone will be pleased.

Seafordguy
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
That sounds like a good weekend!!

I'm ready.........

Offshoreracr
01-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Any word on when the DVD will bo out?

BillR
01-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I just saw the whole thing today. Needs a few tweaks, then out it goes. "MY" hope is to have it out end of the month, but it is not up to me or in my control.
The video guy has really been working hard on it. I am pretty proud and impressed with what I saw. I am sure you all will be impressed.

Plus we got some really really really cool things in the works. If it all comes together like we think it will, everyone is gonna chit when they attend this years run. However, I am sworn to silence; but trust me - it will blow you away. We just have to nail down things with the city - and getting all the city people together - THEN getting an appointment with them is unbelievably difficult. We would have liked to have a solid date by now - there is alot of work to be done and the city is holding us up.
But regardless, the show will go on, and it will be a bigger, and badder event than last year. Plan on a Fri - Sat event this year too!

Matter of fact, Rogman (Jon) and William are on a 4 or 5 way conference call right now, ironing out one of the new and oh too cool events for that event.

Macklin
01-16-2010, 10:02 AM
I got some inside info, but I can't say or they might hurt me. :ack2:

Looking forward to the press release! :sifone:

Seafordguy
01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Looking forward to the press release! :sifone:

Me TOO!!!

BillR
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM
2010 Powerboating for a Cure - We have dates.

AUGUST 6 & 7 2010.

The 2010 American Cancer Societys "Powerboating for a Cure Poker Run" will be a 2 day event this year.
So plan on August 6 & 7.

Hang tight on questions, registration, hotels etc, etc.
Just get the dates on your calendar, TRUST ME - if you miss this one - your gonna kick yourself in the arse!!

I am still sworn to secrecy at this point, but this years event will be much bigger and larger than last year.
Participants will be coming from all over the country - big names/famous boats - like the ones you read about in Powerboat Magazine.

We should have all the details finalized by the Miami Boat show, so the big announcement will come around that time frame. If all the details get worked out (looks like a go so far) this event will be huge, and it will be a national event - that's all I dare say or they'll lynch me.

Just get the date locked in on your calendar!! More info will be forthcoming.

BTW: The DVD is coming along - final editing is being done now, we expect that soon. I am sure you'll be pleased with the effort that went into it.

Seafordguy
01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Excellent....

Kelli and I will be there....

t500hps
01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Excellent....

Kelli and I will be there....

Do me a favor and leave your brother at home......you won't let me accost Kelli when he's around!!! :bump:

Seafordguy
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Do me a favor and leave your brother at home......you won't let me accost Kelli when he's around!!! :bump:

I won't let you either way, you just seem to feel it is your obligation.

Are you getting new Wheels for your dually, or just new Tires???

t500hps
01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I won't let you either way, you just seem to feel it is your obligation.

Are you getting new Wheels for your dually, or just new Tires???

just tires but will need spacers to spread the stock rims for the larger/wider tires.....having trouble justifying the switch when my current tires have less than 10,000 miles on them.