PDA

View Full Version : finally (progress)

duunoit
05-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Dropped the motor in the boat today. I would have taken some pictures, but I think I was about to stroke out (didn't eat anything all day and definately didn't drink enought water) by the end of the day.

Got the oil lines plumbed and the carb put back on the motor. Still need to install the exhaust, put the drive together (and put it on) and do a little more with the fuel plumbing (my carb isn't setup exactly like Sean's was).

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow...

Tim, I don't see how you do it in 114* heat. I guess I should have been drinking beer :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
05-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Dropped the motor in the boat today. I would have taken some pictures, but I think I was about to stroke out (didn't eat anything all day and definately didn't drink enought water) by the end of the day.

Wow, it looks that good huh!? :26:

Glad to hear it's coming along! I had a good day messing with the 24 today, although I nearly cut my arm off trying to get the plugs out of the stbd motor... :sifone:

tomcei
06-01-2009, 09:01 PM
this thread is worthless without pics:)

duunoit
06-01-2009, 10:09 PM
The thread, me... yep totaly worthless. :D I only got about 30 minutes to mess with it today (not counting putting my mess up and getting the boat out of the driveway so I can get to work tomorrow). About the only thing I accomplished was getting the studs in the drive for the drive spacer. I also got my fuel plumbing situated.

If it makes you feel and better the pictures would look the same today as they would yesterday:leaving:

Dude! Sweet!
06-02-2009, 02:56 AM
The motor look good sitting in there or is it lemon/lime sprite? :)

duunoit
06-02-2009, 06:37 AM
It's lymon. :D I'll put those other valve covers on and that will make it look a little better. Scotty offered to paint the air cleaner for me this fall/winter so that will look better.

duunoit
06-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Got to work on it today while Brit and Jr took a nap after a day at the pool. Got the ignition on and wired up. Got the exhaust on and got the oil temp sender wired up. I was going to put the valve covers on before I did the exhaust but I don't know what I'm going to do about the breathers....

Still have to put the drive together (and on) and put some fluids in the motor and I'll be ready to go.

Anywho, here are some pictures.

Dude! Sweet!
06-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Very nice! Wait 'til you hear it fire off through those pipes! :D

Bobcat
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM
looks great in those colors

duunoit
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
The valve covers and air cleaner kind of clash with the bilge. I've got another set of valve covers and will be getting the ac painted to match so it looks a little better...

tomcei
06-09-2009, 10:17 AM
keep it up!!!

Dude! Sweet!
06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
It's funny, its almost like seeing nude photos of your ex girlfriend on the internet... :D

duunoit
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
it's funny, its almost like seeing nude photos of your ex girlfriend on the internet... :d

:d

Mikeb4
06-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Got to work on it today while Brit and Jr took a nap after a day at the pool. Got the ignition on and wired up. Got the exhaust on and got the oil temp sender wired up. I was going to put the valve covers on before I did the exhaust but I don't know what I'm going to do about the breathers....

Still have to put the drive together (and on) and put some fluids in the motor and I'll be ready to go.

Anywho, here are some pictures.

Looks good in there ..... too bad the prior owner didn't step up and paint the bildge white! the motor would look perfect then! :sifone:

Also isn't that Aeroquip push lock hose and fittings the best to work with!! all is great except undoing and re-rigging but I love them.

duunoit
06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Also isn't that Aeroquip push lock hose and fittings the best to work with!! all is great except undoing and re-rigging but I love them.

I probably should have taken a couple of the hoses apart, cut them down and put them back together, but I got them to work like they were without kinking/folding them so I figured I ought to leave them alone.

tomcei
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
you made the right decision, keep moving forward and get the boat in the water. You can always pretty it up later.:)

Mikeb4
06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
you made the right decision, keep moving forward and get the boat in the water. You can always pretty it up later.:)

Exactly! once I figured out I needed an oil thermostat it was a quick & dirty install last June, and then just a month ago I finally mounted the thermostat properly on the transom and redid all the lines. I was so bummed draining all that oil into the clean bildge even with towels out but it needed to be done.

tomcei
06-11-2009, 07:05 AM
you can also use old 1 gal milk/water jugs and cut them up to fit any situation., (well, almost any situation:ack2:)

Dude! Sweet!
06-11-2009, 12:12 PM
you can also use old 1 gal milk/water jugs and cut them up to fit any situation., (well, almost any situation:ack2:)

How do you think I made the fuel system for my 24! :D :biggrinjester:

LittleDcsRodShop
06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Chris looking good buddy !!!! Love the color of that engine compartment, yellow is always worth an extra 2-3mph !!!

You don't need a nice Complete XR ITS system to hang off the back of it do you ??? NO I am not giving up on my project just yet.. lol , just have an opportunity to upgrade just a tad...

duunoit
06-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I absolutely DO NOT. How much :D

Brittany would kill me...

Dude! Sweet!
06-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Chris looking good buddy !!!! Love the color of that engine compartment, yellow is always worth an extra 2-3mph !!!

You don't need a nice Complete XR ITS system to hang off the back of it do you ??? NO I am not giving up on my project just yet.. lol , just have an opportunity to upgrade just a tad...

Yeah! Now here's a dude who could be down for a slick ITS set up! :D

duunoit
06-12-2009, 06:06 PM
XR maybe, ITS, pprobably not...

Unless you're talking about you, in that case, just ship me your IMCO :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
06-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Not me! I'll do what Scotty's doing if I'm going to do any more tansom work and still keep it a single. :D

Scotty, you been talking to some other cat people? Like maybe a Cougarman? :D

LittleDcsRodShop
06-13-2009, 03:17 PM
I forgot to subscribe to this thread & I keep forgeting to check over here on this side of the world.. This back & forth thing is hard a a guy who don't have much smarts & has trouble remembering to put both shoes on..

Chris I know what you meen its kinda like me telling my wife about this great opportunity to upgade ect.. & then her first ? being "how much is is going to cost" Oh just a tranny , & ... &...$$$ Oh not to mention those cheap props everybody has just laying around... Quit scotty boy Quit !!!! :drool5:

That being said & getting closer to talking myself out of the thought as I type I priced it Next dorr in the swap shop Complete incl. the drive , transom assy & inner transom plate for 9k.. However if one of you "sweet do-u-no-it dudes" are interested I will take good care of you.. Maybe the transom assy can head west & the drive go just a few feat north east & we will meet up somewhere halfway such as "lets say" Michigan ?? What do you say ??? :sifone: Lol !!!

Griff
06-23-2009, 02:55 PM
It's funny, its almost like seeing nude photos of your ex girlfriend on the internet... :D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Just remember I had her before you:sifone::sifone:

duunoit
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
My wife got asked this weekend if we were from Nebraska. Yep, towed it all the way here from Nebraksa to boat on the Tennessee river...

People kill me.

Dude! Sweet!
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Just remember I had her before you:sifone::sifone:

Ah well, you treated her right... maybe that's why she didn't like me as much. And don't forget, I probably saw her at Ducky's back in 1996 when she was new! :D

Hope all's well in Omaha!

Dude! Sweet!
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
My wife got asked this weekend if we were from Nebraska. Yep, towed it all the way here from Nebraksa to boat on the Tennessee river...

People kill me.

I couldn't open that video on my phone. Would you post it already!? :sifone:

duunoit
06-23-2009, 10:08 PM
what a pain in the a$$ coverting .3g2 files to .avi

duunoit
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I guess I need to figure out which codec they are encoded with...

Dude! Sweet!
06-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Very nice! Sounds crispy! :D

Glad I don't know ANYTHING about computers!

duunoit
06-24-2009, 12:44 PM
You're not really missing anything on the video. The first one is just a shot of the motor running, with your valve covers on it :D and the other one is a shot above the swim platform watching a little spray.

Dude! Sweet!
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
You're not really missing anything on the video. The first one is just a shot of the motor running, with your valve covers on it :D and the other one is a shot above the swim platform watching a little spray.

They opened for me on here. I dig it. Very cool to see it all running!

duunoit
06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Hydraulic steering still needs some work, it isn't very firm. I've never bled one with add-on steering but I can't imagine it's very different from full...

Dude! Sweet!
06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Hydraulic steering still needs some work, it isn't very firm. I've never bled one with add-on steering but I can't imagine it's very different from full...

That's what SHE said! Awww yeah! :26:

I honestly never really noticed. But if you ask anyone who's ever ridden with me or been around me with race cars, I'm oblivous to anything other than mashing the gas and making sure I don't fall out! :reddevil:

duunoit
06-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Well, I got to check the MSD today. I'm getting spark when tripping both the distributor and the white wire. Didn't get a chance to try to fire it up since Jr was napping when I got home from work. Hopefully it was just flooded that weekend but I doubt it.

The good news is Brit and him are going to have a pool day tomorrow so I'll have several hours to mess with it.

Buoy
06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
A full day of play tomorrow.
Can't wait to see it all fired up Chris.
You're making good time getting her together.

My boat is sitting almost the same as when you were out here.
This NoJoba president, two houses, and current economy are setting me behind quite a bit...

duunoit
06-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Minor setbacks...

Let me know when you are ready for that alignment tool and I'll send it to you.

duunoit
07-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Had a little time to work on it (and I mean VERY little). Pulled the drive and exhaust. Got everything disconnected in the bilge except the motor mount and transom assembly bolts. Hopefully I can lift it out and tear it down tomorrow.

tomcei
07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
keep after it Chris!
It was good to see you again. Maybe we will both have boats in next yrs run.
that outerlimits boat was nasty, wasn't it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/28pantera#play/all/uploads-all/2/FD0PyW5MYRo

duunoit
07-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Good to see you again, too.

Hopefully :D

I just wish the video could have captured the sound pressure

Bobcat
07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
keep after it Chris!
It was good to see you again. Maybe we will both have boats in next yrs run.
that outerlimits boat was nasty, wasn't it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/28pantera#play/all/uploads-all/2/FD0PyW5MYRo

at 1:39 into the vid a mom pulls back an obviously interested kid :sifone:

tomcei
07-13-2009, 08:31 AM
believe it or not that little dude can tell you anything you want to know about any boat.

LittleDcsRodShop
07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
"Maybe we will both have boats in next yrs run."

Hey kids can I come out & play next year ?? :driving: It would definatly be cool to be able to get togather on the water without all of us having to pitch in & rent a pontoon boat.. Lol !!

Chris good to hear you are making some progress !!

Dude! Sweet!
07-14-2009, 08:09 PM
"Maybe we will both have boats in next yrs run."

Hey kids can I come out & play next year ?? :driving: It would definatly be cool to be able to get togather on the water without all of us having to pitch in & rent a pontoon boat.. Lol !!

Chris good to hear you are making some progress !!

Did someone say "rental pontoon?!" I may have to take another churn and burn flight out to TN next year! :D

LittleDcsRodShop
07-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Did someone say "rental pontoon?!" I may have to take another churn and burn flight out to TN next year! :D

Definatly !! I was going to say that if we had to rent on a pontoon we were all gonna wear Sean masks so nobody would know our real identity but if you came in that would change things !! Besides if we rented a pontoon how long would it really take before we decided to beach it , tie some rope to a tree in an attempt jack up the X a notch or two , throw on a stainless prop , tweak the carbs & start hunting some prey !!

Buoy
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Definatly !! I was going to say that if we had to rent on a pontoon we were all gonna wear Sean masks so nobody would know our real identity but if you came in that would change things !! Besides if we rented a pontoon how long would it really take before we decided to beach it , tie some rope to a tree in an attempt jack up the X a notch or two , throw on a stainless prop , tweak the carbs & start hunting some prey !!

Probably about the same time it would take us all to completely disassemble the boat on the beach, and then take a year or more to reassemble...:biggrinjester:

I'm guessing less than half an hour before the decision was made to proceed with the plan... Maybe less - depends on how much beer is involved.

LittleDcsRodShop
07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
"Probably about the same time it would take us all to completely disassemble the boat on the beach, and then take a year or more to reassemble..."

Now thats funny & sounds more like it !!

Dude! Sweet!
07-14-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm freakin' crying! Too funny and too true!

Reminds me, when I was at school at Duquesne, they all made up masks of the football coach and would wear them at games...

duunoit
07-14-2009, 10:24 PM
We are a bunch of boat tearing up, let it sit on the trailer while I work on my "new" plan, just a little longer, I had a new idea mfers...

LittleDcsRodShop
07-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Alot of truth going on around here this evening.. :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
07-15-2009, 03:38 AM
As long as we all get credit for breaking the stuff in the first place! :sifone:

duunoit
07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Motor is out and on the stand in the garage (yes Sean, it fit). I rigged a rope up on the hatch to lift it off the boat and have it sitting on the back porch instead of having to put it back on/off/on again.

Also got the side of the house cleaned up:26:to make the wifeypoo happy.

Hopefully I can start tearing it apart this week.

Buoy
07-21-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm freakin' crying! Too funny and too true!

Reminds me, when I was at school at Duquesne, they all made up masks of the football coach and would wear them at games...

Somehow I missed this post until today.
I worked on a house for the B-ball coach at Duquesne in 2001.
Man, I can tell you some stories about that little episode.
Danny Nee was his name.

Motor is out and on the stand in the garage (yes Sean, it fit). I rigged a rope up on the hatch to lift it off the boat and have it sitting on the back porch instead of having to put it back on/off/on again.

Also got the side of the house cleaned up:26:to make the wifeypoo happy.

Hopefully I can start tearing it apart this week.

Keep plugging away Chris.
And yes, if Brittany ain't happy you certainly won't be.
At least that is the way it works here...

Dude! Sweet!
07-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Keep up the good work bro! My garage looks like a boat exploded in it right now! :sifone:

duunoit
07-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Mine is the same, but it looked like I had the garage door open when it happened:ack2:

Now I just need to get rid of the AFFF barrrels and get the Rose Marie running.

LittleDcsRodShop
07-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Mine is the same, but it looked like I had the garage door open when it happened:ack2:

Now I just need to get rid of the AFFF barrrels and get the Rose Marie running.

"Get the Rosie Marie running" If thats the cruiser you had when I was up there yeah get it running & then we won't need to rent that pontoon !! You really need some 4" tips comming out the top of her so people know we are comming & know they need to be getting out of our way b/c we are trying to fully plane off & we need room !!!

:biggrinjester: Okay I will quit.. we got boats to work on !!

Glad to see progress is being made coast to coast..

Yes I sound like a broken record but let me know if you need anything I can help with..

duunoit
07-22-2009, 09:42 AM
The thing is, I've already done something similar. I put a 383 in it :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
The cruiser needs tractor pipes!

duunoit
07-22-2009, 10:33 AM
That would get pretty hot for the folks in the back seat drinking beer...

Dude! Sweet!
07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
That would get pretty hot for the folks in the back seat drinking beer...

You know what Billy Chrystal said... it's not how you feel, it's how you look... :sifone:

tomcei
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
the cruiser needs tractor pipes!

lol!!!!

duunoit
07-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Got everything out but the crank today. I think I found my problem :D

LittleDcsRodShop
07-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah I believe you found the issue !!

Now see if you can find my inner transom plate.. I've been tearing the shop apart for the last hour looking for it & have yet to locate it..:banghead:

duunoit
07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
There's one here for you. I've got one of my guys that will be here from Chattanooga the weekend of the 8th-9th. Or the next time you're up this way.

LittleDcsRodShop
07-27-2009, 08:49 PM
There's one here for you. I've got one of my guys that will be here from Chattanooga the weekend of the 8th-9th. Or the next time you're up this way.

Thanks buddy I really appritiate the offer, but thankfully I just found mine a little while ago in the back of the shop where I put it up for safe keepings so I wouldn't misplace it..:rolleyes: I am so glad I found it b/c it has some of my Hyd. lines & a block for the ITS system.. I was starting to get frantic b/c although I don't claim to be the most organized guy in the world, thats not the kind of thing I loose..

Again I really appritaite it !!

Dude! Sweet!
07-28-2009, 06:25 AM
That's stinks. I hope it goes back together quick and easy bud!

duunoit
08-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Crank, block and pistons are at the machine shop. Crank will be magnafluxed before any of the expensive work is done to it...

Also got some time to work on the old Rose Marie. Got the drive put together. Went to put my oil dipstick in and had to mess with it for a while (and had to do some custom work to it)... d@mn oil pan was full of water. I guess that will teach me to just put a bolt in the hole and let the cover blow off of it. Anyway, got it drained and refilled after a trip to the parts store. Went to to crank it up. Nothing. I think I might have the distributor out of phase, but my coil has definatley pooped the bed on me. Back to the parts store.

Tomorrow.

Maybe.

Dude! Sweet!
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Went to put my oil dipstick in and had to mess with it for a while (and had to do some custom work to it)...

Ummm, good luck with that... If you keep it up, you'll go blind. :reddevil:

Dude! Sweet!
08-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Seriously though, those are some nasty bearings! I don't think I've seen one taken out that bad that still had the rods in the motor. Hopefully everything turns out all right at the machine shop.

duunoit
08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Ummm, good luck with that... If you keep it up, you'll go blind. :reddevil:

I knew that was coming but left it there for everyone's amusement :26:

duunoit
08-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Seriously though, those are some nasty bearings! I don't think I've seen one taken out that bad that still had the rods in the motor. Hopefully everything turns out all right at the machine shop.

I'd say that if I got it started again, I would have lost it trying to load it on the trailer...