PDA

View Full Version : Talking Trash?

Coach
05-31-2009, 04:29 PM
What's the latest with Talking Trash? They were on a great start....

Sean H
05-31-2009, 05:11 PM
canopy failure.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 05:50 PM
I heard he stuffed it. And also heard tripped and hooked it.

Sean Stinson
05-31-2009, 06:25 PM
I just got word that they are alright but boat suffered some damage!!!!

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 08:11 PM
I just got word that they are alright but boat suffered some damage!!!!

But for sure they are okay?????

glassdave
05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
just ran into Jimmy in the parking lot at the hotel. He's fine just a bit bumped up, broke ribs and a few scrapes. He was joking about it and Vinnie is just being held for observation but otherwise ok to. Boats banged up a bit but i'm sure Pete will have it back together soon

boat just came around on 'em. Danced on the tail and lid and ended up coming to rest rightside up with front and side screens blown out and a fair amount of glass damage but fixable.

Geronimo36
05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the update Dave, glad they'll be ok.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the update Dave, glad they'll be ok.

Glad they are OK

OldSchool
05-31-2009, 09:24 PM
just ran into Jimmy in the parking lot at the hotel. He's fine just a bit bumped up, broke ribs and a few scrapes. He was joking about it and Vinnie is just being held for observation but otherwise ok to. Boats banged up a bit but i'm sure Pete will have it back together soon

boat just came around on 'em. Danced on the tail and lid and ended up coming to rest rightside up with front and side screens blown out and a fair amount of glass damage but fixable.

Thanks for the update Dave!

:):)

Ryan Beckley
05-31-2009, 09:40 PM
I just hung up with Vinny....they are both bruised and battered but will race another day. The boat will be back in Douglas in a couple of days for a re-fit & makeover. Jimmy & Vinny are shooting to be back for Sarasota. Both are on there way back to Long Island now.....

Ratickle
05-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks all. Always worry about that stuff until the more of the details come out.

ThrottleUp Props
05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Thank goodness the boyz were not hurt worse. Scared me something terrible.

Julie

Slandrew
05-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Glad all they are alive & OK Jimmy broke ribs Vinny banged up said they hit swell?Boat has damage sad that boat ran great hope they get it back running soon!

Slandrew
05-31-2009, 10:36 PM
:(

Devilman
06-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Glad to hear that both the boyz are fine and will race another day. Its amazing how attached you can become to the racers and all I am is a fan. So get some rest boyz and I will see both of you in St.Clair take care.

ChiefApache
06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear that but glad they are both ok.

Coach
06-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm thrilled to hear the guys are fine... Your return and continued safe competing is so critical and appreciated! There were hundreds of us along the docks there in LOTO last fall at the OSS event, that were so infected with your team chemistry, and passion! The victory spray of all of us was such a... it's beyond words how you guys affected everyone there, who had the pleasure and thrill to be so close to the action, and feel that moment with Talkin Trash!

Get back in there as soon as you can...

Coach

phragle
06-01-2009, 11:34 AM
There were a lot of rumours and missinformation goin around. I have seen the boat and talkied have seen Jimmy. Romour 1, back of canopy blew out, false. the air scoop on the back of the canopy ripped off, it leads to the engine compartment only. they did loose 3 windows though. They were flat out hauling mail.. and if you look at the pik they were well into tripple digits and made an unplanned complete 90 degree right turn pretty much instantly. the boat held together exceptionaly well, so well that Jimmy said as soon as it stopped, he was contemplating firing it and taking off. then he realized the window was gone he didn't. It's amazing that they wiped out around 140-150 with the boat intact and bumps &bruises.

Ratickle
06-01-2009, 11:42 AM
There were a lot of rumours and missinformation goin around. I have seen the boat and talkied have seen Jimmy. Romour 1, back of canopy blew out, false. the air scoop on the back of the canopy ripped off, it leads to the engine compartment only. they did loose 3 windows though. They were flat out hauling mail.. and if you look at the pik they were well into tripple digits and made an unplanned complete 90 degree right turn pretty much instantly. the boat held together exceptionaly well, so well that Jimmy said as soon as it stopped, he was contemplating firing it and taking off. then he realized the window was gone he didn't. It's amazing that they wiped out around 140-150 with the boat intact and bumps &bruises.

Thanks Rob. Real glad you were there.....

masher44
06-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Glad to hear they are OK. Thanks for the update.

phragle
06-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks Rob. Real glad you were there.....

I was not the medic on scene. I wasn't close enough to see the wipeout, only the splash.. we headed that way but once the water cleared we saw them upright and in one piece with another med boat much closer, so we remained at our post. Bruce does on heck of a job putting the entire medical/safety deal together pretty much by himself.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
I paid a visit to the boat in the secluded hanger and did my job. Kudos to Skater for making one of the strongest boats out there. Obviously things will be learned from this to make improvements on the Closed Canopies. For what this boat went through at that speed, I was shocked to see so little damage to the boat. Sure hatches and scoops are the easiest things to go, but the structural integrity of the entire hull and deck was showing it's strengths that day. One of the main reasons Jimmy and Vinnie were able to walk away.
I have a full sequence of about 20 images after the immediate impact. 1 image right before. The water explosion is unbelievable. Please understand I need to keep certain images Exclusive. I will know more of what the Magazines will want at a later date.

Get well soon Jimmy and Vinnie!

Sean H
06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I paid a visit to the boat in the secluded hanger and did my job. Kudos to Skater for making one of the strongest boats out there. Obviously things will be learned from this to make improvements on the Closed Canopies. For what this boat went through at that speed, I was shocked to see so little damage to the boat. Sure hatches and scoops are the easiest things to go, but the structural integrity of the entire hull and deck was showing it's strengths that day. One of the main reasons Jimmy and Vinnie were able to walk away.
I have a full sequence of about 20 images after the immediate impact. 1 image right before. The water explosion is unbelievable. Please understand I need to keep certain images Exclusive. I will know more of what the Magazines will want at a later date.

Get well soon Jimmy and Vinnie!

how did the canopy glass fair? the boat is a moot point if the windows don't stay in it....

SHARKEY-IMAGES
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
how did the canopy glass fair? the boat is a moot point if the windows don't stay in it....
Until we know what happened, I would rather not speculate. It really depends on the sequence of events.

Sean H
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Until we know what happened, I would rather not speculate. It really depends on the sequence of events.

Well, I hope Jimmy doesn't let it go back together the same way it came apart. He's too much fun to have around at the races for that.

phragle
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM

yes and no.... the point is the wrecked a fast cat at speed, and they not only survived, they walked away. safety is like speed, there is always a quest for more. The boats going back to the manufacture. lessons will be learned and improvements will be made. It wasn't that long ago that you would be lucky to survive wiping out that fast.

Sean H
06-01-2009, 01:21 PM
yes and no.... the point is the wrecked a fast cat at speed, and they not only survived, they walked away. safety is like speed, there is always a quest for more. The boats going back to the manufacture. lessons will be learned and improvements will be made. It wasn't that long ago that you would be lucky to survive wiping out that fast.

how fast? 100? 110? that boat should be able to take that without a canopy issue. that is the latest and greatest race boat out of skater, its not some 10 year old leftover race boat running around for fun.

You were the same guy bashing Mystic for a rigging mistake and nobody got hurt at all. Now somebody gets knocked out and the other broken bones and you say no big deal? Kinda confusing....

Jimmy always poked fun at our small window openings, but of course our windows (or canopy) haven't suffered any damage in two rolls at those same speeds (or faster in sunny isles last year), he may change his tune now.

Like I said before, Jimmy and Vinny are good to have at the races, and they run hard, they should have the safest stuff to run in. Really is no reason for anything less.

phragle
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM
well above 110. the reason I got worked up about the mystic was that they had water intrusion, and the pace was way backed off.

Ted
06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Rob, great meeting you this weekend and thanks so much for the REAL info on the crash. The only thing I will add is that last year the boat did 127 mph on radar and flat water so I suspect that is about what they were going, even so it is a testament to the design and build that they were able to not only survive, but be relatively uninjured. Get well soon guys and good luck getting back out for Sarasota, we are all thankful for your safety.

glassdave
06-01-2009, 01:58 PM
speed wise when we talked to Jimmy i think i heard him say 110-115 range and that sounds about consistent with conditions (and Jimmy in those conditions). Thats about as far as you could have hung it out in that slop.

Sean H
06-01-2009, 02:22 PM
well above 110. the reason I got worked up about the mystic was that they had water intrusion, and the pace was way backed off.

I much rather take water through a rigging hole than the windows blow out, but that is just me.

the speed may shock you, they only ran 130ish in cumberland, and paul and tony's boats were only averaging 86-88 a lap....

Like I said before, Jimmy knew he had bigger windows, we talked about the size difference before. Hopefully it will come back correct this time.

Sean H
06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
speed wise when we talked to Jimmy i think i heard him say 110-115 range and that sounds about consistent with conditions (and Jimmy in those conditions). Thats about as far as you could have hung it out in that slop.

thanks dave, almost like I had been around a supercat or two in my life.:sifone:

good to hear the keys stay outside the car this weekend too! :ack2:

Geronimo36
06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Jimmy always poked fun at our small window openings, but of course our windows (or canopy) haven't suffered any damage in two rolls at those same speeds (or faster in sunny isles last year), he may change his tune now..

thanks dave, almost like I had been around a supercat or two in my life.:sifone:

good to hear the keys stay outside the car this weekend too! :ack2:
Do you run one of the race boats? Which one? What's all the "our"?

I'm not prying, just didn't know you raced/had a boat.

Sean H
06-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Do you run one of the race boats? Which one? What's all the "our"?

I'm not prying, just didn't know you raced/had a boat.

the 38 DW Fury, Ray and Guy run it, I make sure they run it out in front of everybody else. I also make sure that it is as safe as possible for them to do it in. So when I say we or our, I say that because when I send it out, those guys are my friends in there and I like it when the return safely, right side up or otherwise, although I prefer right side up, it is a little less work.

Steve Miklos
06-01-2009, 03:48 PM

You are 100% spot on there.
Steve

Geronimo36
06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
the 38 DW Fury, Ray and Guy run it, I make sure they run it out in front of everybody else. I also make sure that it is as safe as possible for them to do it in. So when I say we or our, I say that because when I send it out, those guys are my friends in there and I like it when the return safely, right side up or otherwise, although I prefer right side up, it is a little less work.

ok, I had no idea you were a wrench. :)

mikey
06-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I talked to Chris today as he was getting ready to take the toter home back up to NY. There was not water in the cockpit and at this point they think the glass broke becasue of deck flex. Jimmy and Vinny are lucky because there were other things that had happend that I dont want to get into. The boat and the glass are mute points to me. My good friends being able to walk alway is all that matters. Also thanks to Jim Black for going to the hospital with them and updating us with information.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I spoke with Peter today. He gets the boat in another day or two.

Smitty1035
06-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Rob, great meeting you this weekend and thanks so much for the REAL info on the crash. The only thing I will add is that last year the boat did 127 mph on radar and flat water so I suspect that is about what they were going, even so it is a testament to the design and build that they were able to not only survive, but be relatively uninjured. Get well soon guys and good luck getting back out for Sarasota, we are all thankful for your safety.

Hey Ted...I believe it was more like 137 mph. I was running the gun and they came past us about 6 feet off of the bow. WOW...that was awesome.

Great to hear that everyone is ok and will race again. We were in paceboat 1 and were over by start/finish when it happened. Got to give kudos to the safety and med boats as well. Everyone was very calm on the radio and racecom orchestrated it nicely.

Hope to see everyone in Cambridge if not sooner.

The Other Smitty

Ratickle
06-02-2009, 10:51 AM
All I can say is it's great they're safe. It's great you guys talk to each other here and discuss improvements. And it's great the entire staff at the race were on the ball.

Slandrew
06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
GPS Frank whould know exact speed he's OPA official

Wahoo 214
06-02-2009, 12:50 PM
GPS Frank whould know exact speed he's OPA official

They don't run in a GPS class

Coach
06-02-2009, 01:08 PM
All I can say is it's great they're safe. It's great you guys talk to each other here and discuss improvements. And it's great the entire staff at the race were on the ball.

:iagree:

Ted
06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
They were definitely hauling the mail and it is great that they are able to fix up the boat and race another day. And I am sure that a company like Douglas will analyse the damage and use it to make an even better product for the next customer.

OldSchool
06-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I paid a visit to the boat in the secluded hanger and did my job.

If you don't mind me asking, what was this job that you keep referring to?

Slandrew
06-02-2009, 07:09 PM

I pay an extra $20 for secluded stuff:26:thanks Tim:rofl:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
06-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I am a photographer.... remember ? :confused:

Under certain circumstances the organization needs to document certain things and learn from them.

A Professional Series Camera with a high resolution is extremely important for these type of images. Pocket Point & Shoots just don't cut it.

If you recall, I did the same on Loan Shark at the OSS race in St Clair. I turned them over to the Safety Crew and they have used them in their training classes ever since.

Key people have access to these images and you will see that improvements will be made as the sport moves forward.

Buoy
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Good explanation Tim.

I have to admit, I was kind of curious also who you were exactly employed by for this sort of work.
Could be Insurance, could be the race Org, could be Manufact...
Just a curiosity I had myself.

I don't think anyone has forgotten you being a photog.:)

OldSchool
06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I am a photographer.... remember ? :confused:

Under certain circumstances the organization needs to document certain things and learn from them.

A Professional Series Camera with a high resolution is extremely important for these type of images. Pocket Point & Shoots just don't cut it.

If you recall, I did the same on Loan Shark at the OSS race in St Clair. I turned them over to the Safety Crew and they have used them in their training classes ever since.

Key people have access to these images and you will see that improvements will be made as the sport moves forward.

A photographer? You're kidding, I never would have known!!!!!:sifone::sifone:

I wasn't aware of Loan Shark having an incident.

Sorry about that, just kidding, don't get your panties all bunched up! I just didn't know what you meant by having a job to do as in who hired you. Jimmy? Skater? OPA?

Craig :)

SHARKEY-IMAGES
06-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I just didn't know what you meant by having a job to do as in who hired you. Jimmy? Skater? OPA?

Craig :)
That is something I do on a volunteer basis. I do not charge anyone for that. If it helps keep our guys safe in the future, I will always be happy to do it free.

I consider it "My Job" as would a Volunteer Medic considers his/hers.

I would have done the same for AE, but the law enforcement stopped me. Only to find out later they wished they had let me do it when they ran into camera issues... But that was a different scenario all together.

I was to be a spotter in the chopper should something go wrong, I could document everything as it unfolds as I did last year. As a last minute change, I was relieved for the day and shot from the beach. I still managed to get the shots of the accident even though they were about a mile off the beach on the outside leg. About 20 sequence shots. Scary stuff to look at and how quick it happened...:ack2:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
06-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I wasn't aware of Loan Shark having an incident.

Craig

Loan Shark Photos Link (http://sharkeymarine.pages.qpg.com/powerboat/loan_shark.html)

Huge improvements have been made ever since.....

Slandrew
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
They don't run in a GPS classHe Still knows he's serious1??:leaving:

glassdave
06-05-2009, 10:13 PM
That is something I do on a volunteer basis. I do not charge anyone for that. If it helps keep our guys safe in the future, I will always be happy to do it free.

I consider it "My Job" as would a Volunteer Medic considers his/hers.

I would have done the same for AE, but the law enforcement stopped me. Only to find out later they wished they had let me do it when they ran into camera issues... But that was a different scenario all together.

I was to be a spotter in the chopper should something go wrong, I could document everything as it unfolds as I did last year. As a last minute change, I was relieved for the day and shot from the beach. I still managed to get the shots of the accident even though they were about a mile off the beach on the outside leg. About 20 sequence shots. Scary stuff to look at and how quick it happened...:ack2:

Thanks Tim, I know it can be contoversial sometimes when things go wrong but it is very necessary to learn from things like this. Keep up the great work man, its much appreciated by those of us that are out there.

Once again glad Jimmy and Vinne walked away.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
06-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks Tim.
Anytime !!!

I just found out today I missed something. I was unaware that the lid was retrieved. I do not know where it was at the time I was there, but had I seen it it I would have shot it...

Also it was unclear if someone moved the drives. I would have liked to have found the boat in the position it came out of the water. The drives were beyond trailer mode. If it came in that way, I guess it is possible the relays may have short circuited them into up mode.

There is no way the boat could have been running where they were at.