PDA

View Full Version : blower mtr timing.

tomcei
05-24-2009, 02:55 PM
why is it popular to lock out the timing in a blower mtr application?

Dude! Sweet!
06-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Shhhh it's a secret.

Geronimo36
06-01-2009, 12:30 AM
I think a lot of people lock out timing on big hp engines, regardless of the blower..

it can give you better idle qualities and more mid-range power ahead of the normal timing curve. it can be rough on starters though.

Tomas Wallin
06-01-2009, 02:52 AM
I think a lot of people lock out timing on big hp engines, regardless of the blower..

it can give you better idle qualities and more mid-range power ahead of the normal timing curve. it can be rough on starters though.

And the difference from std motors is the lower vacuum, are there any more differences that needs higher timing?

Airpacker
06-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Its an easy way around building a properly set up distributor. Lots of people will just lock it at peak timing so as not to have to play with the advance curves. Very few people have the knowledge and equipment to set up a proper custom curve these days. I guess thats why my old distributor bench is kept pretty busy. I learned a looooooong time ago how to do em right. :) I much prefer a well set up unit as it is much easier on the starter motors, allows for a decently low initial timing setting to get idle speed down yet still allows for whatever total timing and advance rate the engine wants.

Geronimo36
06-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I have to agree with Airpacker on this one.

MERPerformance
06-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I would rather use a curve even only if it's 10 degrees starting and all in by 2500-3000 rpms. Crane had a real nice Marine box I used all the time and I would rather use the merc thunder bolt IV distributor with it Hall Effect signal with no RF noise. Now it's back to the MSD marine box Mer thunder bolt IV and V6 timing curve. If you use the MSD distributor with the black stop bushing and the lighter springs, it backs it to about 14 degrees inital and 30 full you could modify the stop on the distributor and shorten the advance curve if you want to spend some time on it.

Tomas Wallin
06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Its an easy way around building a properly set up distributor. Lots of people will just lock it at peak timing so as not to have to play with the advance curves. Very few people have the knowledge and equipment to set up a proper custom curve these days. I guess thats why my old distributor bench is kept pretty busy. I learned a looooooong time ago how to do em right. :) I much prefer a well set up unit as it is much easier on the starter motors, allows for a decently low initial timing setting to get idle speed down yet still allows for whatever total timing and advance rate the engine wants.

How would you set the timing on a motor like mine or yours fot that matter?

tomcei
06-02-2009, 05:33 PM
the curve is what my engine builder prefers. Airpacker confirmed it. I asked around the shop and they are not to concerned about the idle/initial timing just the total. 34 for me. my initial is approx 15+