PDA

View Full Version : Historic v Vintage and Vintage race boat "restistry"?

Dude! Sweet!
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I know Charlie's been involved in some vintage car racing over the years and I expect that he's drawing parallels between vintage car racing and HORBA. I was curious about how HORBA, or at least people who think about this stuff (more than we all should probably :D ), is considering the "historic" vs. "vintage" issue that we see in car racing?

Specifically, if you look at Trans-Am cars (one of the most popular car classes in vintage/historic racing), you'll see that there are "historic" cars, which are brass tag cars with verified history (and often significant history, ala the Penske/Donohue Camaros) and then on the other hand there are "vintage" cars. Cars which are period correct but don't have the "provenance" that places them in Trans-Am races between 1966 - 1972.

I wondered what HORBA's focus is? Does each boat have to be a Warpath, Behniahana or KAAMA? Or are Modified and Production class boats also encouraged to participate?

Additionally, what is the guidline cut off year that make a boat HORBA worthy/eligable?

Finally, I was wondering if part of the HORBA project included some sort of vintage race boat registry that chronicles the history and identity of the vintage race boats that are kicking around?

Something similar to this... http://thelolaregistry.com/

Thanks Charlie, I think it's really cool that you've undertaken to push the vintage boats to the fore like they've done with cars and airplanes. You're our Steve Earle! :sifone:

T2x
05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I have catalogued most of the Switzer Wings extant. There are at present 15 in existence. All but two of have actually raced. This took a couple of years to accomplish. I can't imagine what would be involved in establishing an Offshore Registry, but it would certainly forever be a work in progress.

As far as age for Vintage recognition, I believe that the APBA Vintage and Historic Division uses 25 years as their basis. Personally I think it should be 30, but whatever standard you use, we certainly need to monitor the age of the true Vintage hulls.

T2x

Dude! Sweet!
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Rich, thanks. I've helped a buddy who's doing something similar with Eagle Indy cars and ADF Formula Fords and it is a massive undertaking. As you know, it seems pretty worthwhile though.

A couple of the european guys (Black Tornado and Lil Nige?) are doing a chronology of the CUVs and have made a lot of progress. I'm guessing it's going to take a lot of obsessed people each focusing on one or two marques to make good headway on something like that.

Top Banana
06-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I understand the "pure" aspects of restoration that the car guys have, we have displayed a restored race car that we raced, at Amelia Island.

However, since it has been so hard to get the guys with the old boats to come out and play, at this point I would say.....as long as the hull is the authentic one, power it with anything you want, just bring it out to be seen. Open, production, superboats, any class, just bring them out.

Plans are still on for the Miami to Key West race next February 2010. It is a historic race and is the 2nd oldest ocean race in America, after the Catalina race. It is open ocean, but land is very near and anyone with a problem, can stop at Islamorada or Marathon or any of the other points on the way down.

Let's get the boats restored and running again and then when we have enough, we can start getting really picky with those who would prefer to be very authentic.

Dude! Sweet!
06-03-2009, 06:36 PM
I understand the "pure" aspects of restoration that the car guys have, we have displayed a restored race car that we raced, at Amelia Island.

However, since it has been so hard to get the guys with the old boats to come out and play, at this point I would say.....as long as the hull is the authentic one, power it with anything you want, just bring it out to be seen. Open, production, superboats, any class, just bring them out.

Plans are still on for the Miami to Key West race next February 2010. It is a historic race and is the 2nd oldest ocean race in America, after the Catalina race. It is open ocean, but land is very near and anyone with a problem, can stop at Islamorada or Marathon or any of the other points on the way down.

Let's get the boats restored and running again and then when we have enough, we can start getting really picky with those who would prefer to be very authentic.

Amen Charlie. Wish I was on the other coast!

MikeyFIN
08-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Second that Charlie, being mysellf also involved in Historic and current racecars although offshore racing got me by the.... BRAINS....

I see a future among old schools boats without a racing history/pedigree having a period correct livery and free mechanicals although somewhat correct.
the Engines could be quite free IMO thenagain drives also.
But question is will an ASD equipped boat kick a SSM6´s butt although being more period correct regarding outlook ;)
Yes I´m biased to Surface drives and Daytona Crashboxes....

MikeyFIN
08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Rich, thanks. I've helped a buddy who's doing something similar with Eagle Indy cars and ADF Formula Fords and it is a massive undertaking. As you know, it seems pretty worthwhile though.

A couple of the european guys (Black Tornado and Lil Nige?) are doing a chronology of the CUVs and have made a lot of progress. I'm guessing it's going to take a lot of obsessed people each focusing on one or two marques to make good headway on something like that.

I could start doing with some others some Scandinavian history but they are mostly small class boats like 3C/ former 2 Liter and under classes.

Ratickle
08-30-2009, 05:35 PM
If you guys want to do anything, let us know. Tell Charlie and get his advice on format/information. We'll let chatter happen for research, then clean and transfer how ever you guys decide the rules should be and ask.

No problem, would be glad to help.