PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Tom Newby

Mike A.
05-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I want to share an experience I had yesterday that many of you will appreciate. The story is about Tom Newby, the beloved, super talented photographer who tragically passed away on 9/11/07 doing precisely what he loved.

Some of you may know that I represented Tom’s family after he died. We had a final hearing in California yesterday to conclude his estate. Afterward, I was invited to Tom’s home to look through his photograph collection. His garage is a shrine to his work - 15 years worth of photos/slides from his Unlimited and Offshore days in books filled up dozens of boxes. I was looking for pictures of my boats from 1997 – 1999. At first we found nothing. Then we went into his dark room where more pictures, books and boxes were. One box had several loose sheets filled with slides of various events from different years. As I leafed through the sheets I found one that nearly took my breath away. Here is where the story gets emotional for me. A little background is in order.

At the 1998 Biloxi Worlds, we had a terrible start, behind the entire field of 10 boats or so. Once we got going, we committed to the very inside lane, hoping we could get to the first turn in a position to make up ground through the corner. As the old F-2 racers well remember, everyone reached the turn at virtually the same time. There was one boat to our immediate right that had a slight lead. We got through the first buoy, nearly hitting it, clean. The boat to our right dropped down cutting us off. We ran up the boat’s rooster tail and nearly barrel rolled. We turned hard left and avoided going over but we wound up missing the exit buoy. There was a brief “discussion” about turning around. Believing we had been cut off illegally, we decided not to and continued racing. However, we never made up ground and wound up finishing third.

We went to the Mercury truck afterward to view the results only to see we had not been credited with that first lap and were shown in last place. We ran to race control to argue our case. We were losing the argument until Pop showed up to say he had seen the entire thing and that we had indeed been cut off. We were given our third place position.

The sheet of photos I found in Tom’s dark room showed the entire sequence, proving 11 years ago that we were right! Now, I do not know what, if anything, all that means, but to anyone who has a faith in the Lord, and knew Tom Newby, the finding befitted a smile, a laugh, and some tears. I did all three. RIP Tom Newby. You left a beautiful family and wonderful legacy behind. RIP.

Bobcat
05-21-2009, 01:17 PM
that is a great story, it would be great if they could take all of those photos and make a book of Tom's career and life, I'd buy one.

Ratickle
05-21-2009, 04:04 PM
that is a great story, it would be great if they could take all of those photos and make a book of Tom's career and life, I'd buy one.

Plus 1.

That was sad when I heard what had happened.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Good Bless Tom Newby. I have a few special pix of his I see daily.

Mike, I find your memory humorous. I remember a few things about Biloxi '98 too. Tell me which race were you trying to remember?

AugiePensa
05-21-2009, 09:25 PM
GOD bless

audacity
05-21-2009, 09:53 PM
the race scene does not feel right without tom!

Freezeframevideo
05-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Did A great Job Allways, Great Guy missed By All Jeff Gerardi , Freeze Frame Video Inc.

cigdaze
05-22-2009, 07:29 AM
That's beautiful, Mike. Thanks!
Tom was certainly an exceptional photographer and a wonderful person who's touched so many of us through his awesome work. Great story.

Wardey
05-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks Mike. God Bless Tom. He was one of the best. Dave

SHARKEY-IMAGES
05-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Tom was "Mr Perfect" .

I recall watching him 20 feet off the bow of my boat on the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run. It was my wife's 1st poker run and the 1st time I met Tom.

I looked up at him in the chopper and said to my wife, "What a cool job he has !"

He took a fantastic image of my wife & I at the Awards Dinner and to make it even more special he published us in the Powerboat Magazine.

It was a very hard day to hear the news he had passed.

Who would have ever thought all these years later I will now be in the chopper for the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run this year shooting for Powerboat Magazine.

There is no doubt Tom will be along with me in spirit to assure I do it right !

He was the best in the business. He was "Mr Perfect" as every image he produced was just that ! Perfect !

Here is a link to his Tribute Page:

Tom Newby "Mr Perfect" (http://sharkey-images.com/memorial/tom_newby.html)

One of our lost legends in our sport.... :(

Sean Stinson
05-22-2009, 08:19 AM
NEWBS RIP my brother RIP I am sure you're shooting the great races in the sky these days!!!! :):)

MANITIE
05-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Great story Mike....R.I.P.... Tom.....

Phantom1
05-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Good stuff Mike - thanks.

SVL66
05-23-2009, 09:50 AM

DITTO that

a book like that will stay on the coffe table for ever

Pop
05-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for sharing Mike.

Pop